Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

#20, Reggie Jackson... ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Leaf Q looks nice, but what?

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Leaf-Q...to-14-25-/331434528314?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I guess that's what happens when you need to dig for photos without the logo. I find no record of Reggie wearing #20 for anyone. Spring training photo? Helmet during fielding practice?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
guess that's what happens when you need to dig for photos without the logo. I find no record of Reggie wearing #20 for anyone. Spring training photo? Helmet during fielding practice?
It's actually an extremely rare photo from one day in Spring Training.
From Wikipedia:

Upon arriving in New York, the number 9 that he had worn in Oakland and Baltimore was worn by third baseman Graig Nettles. Jackson asked for number 42, in memory of Jackie Robinson, but manager Billy Martinbrought his friend Art Fowler in as pitching coach, and gave him number 42. So, noting that then-all-time home run leader Hank Aaron had just retired, Jackson asked for and received number 44, Aaron's number. On his first day in spring training the following February, however, Jackson wore number 20 (the number of Frank Robinson, who had also just retired) before switching to 44.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
It's actually an extremely rare photo from one day in Spring Training.
From Wikipedia:

Upon arriving in New York, the number 9 that he had worn in Oakland and Baltimore was worn by third baseman Graig Nettles. Jackson asked for number 42, in memory of Jackie Robinson, but manager Billy Martinbrought his friend Art Fowler in as pitching coach, and gave him number 42. So, noting that then-all-time home run leader Hank Aaron had just retired, Jackson asked for and received number 44, Aaron's number. On his first day in spring training the following February, however, Jackson wore number 20 (the number of Frank Robinson, who had also just retired) before switching to 44.
I had no idea! Thanks. I think of Bucky Dent and Jorge Posada when I hear a Yankee #20

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Wait a sec.....Did the Yankees wear pinstripes in Spring Training back then?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I have always wondered the same thing about this Kirby Puckett Topps Tribute card.
$_12.JPG

wow, that is funny to see!

I was the editor for the first Topps Tirbute set in 2001, and I originally pulled that exact photo from the file cabinet to use on Puckett's card. After I put the slide under the loupe on the light box, it occurred to me that 32 was not Puckett's usual number, and that it would look pretty bad to have that photo on a "Retired Jersey Edition" card! I put it back in the file.

I find it funny that whoever took over my job pulled it back out for a later iteration of Tribute.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That Jackson is awesome!
Had no idea he wore anything but 44.
If I collected Reggie, I'd be all over it as I love "unique/ rarely seen"photos.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I had the same reaction when I saw Mattingly on what I think it was an early Beckett magazine wearing #46 . I wonder if Pettitte knew that.

Members online

Latest posts