Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beware 2013 TTT Laundry Tag!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Not sure if you guys are familiar but in 2013 TTT they include the All star game laundry tags from the previous years all star game. But topps is known for screwups and managed to screw up this one. On the laundry tags they have an MLB authentication sticker that your supposed to be able to match up to ur player. However they have been putting the wrong laundry tag with the wrong player. For example there is currently a David Ortiz laundry tag up on ebay. When i looked up the authentication number the laundry tag was from Jered Weaver. So before u purchase one of these cards double check with the authentication number.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Not that this makes it any better (oh, Topps!), but on the smaller patch on the left side of the card, you can see a "7" as the last digit on the authentication sticker. I just went to the MLB authentication site, and typed in all of the same numbers as the Weaver laundry tag, but replaced the last digit with a "7." That one does come up as Ortiz.

So, at least ONE of the patches was worn by Ortiz.

Here's the ebay link: 2013 Topps Triple Threads David Ortiz 1 1 All Star Laundry Tag Patch | eBay

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
This happened with last years TTT All Star Patches as well. I can't remember who was on the card, but the patch belonged to Robinson Cano or it was the other way around. Might have got the player wrong with Cano but for some reason that rings a bell.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Alex is correct this did happen with last year's TTT. Many of them holo's were not of the player the card indicated. I think Alex picked one up and it was correct the Vargas one? Or was it the League one? I forget. Either way, they have screwed these up in the past.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Alex is correct this did happen with last year's TTT. Many of them holo's were not of the player the card indicated. I think Alex picked one up and it was correct the Vargas one? Or was it the League one? I forget. Either way, they have screwed these up in the past.

Yep, it was Brandon League. Great looking cards, and one that I miss Mariners wise but Kevin gave it a great home via a great trade :)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just more confirmation why I refuse to buy "game used" cards anymore.

Who knows how many jerseys, patches and bat cards have pieces from other players on them.
Or if the piece was even game used in the first place.

It blows my mind that collectors spend so much money on patch and logo cards, believing that what they have is an authentic rare piece of their favorite player's equipment, especially the vintage jersey pieces of players like Ruth and Cobb.

There is no accountability and no punishment if a company either screws up or knowingly uses fake game usee pieces.

One of these days, the entire game used part of the hobby will crash and all of these supposed rare 1/1 cards will become worthless when a former card company executive admits they're not real.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Im staring down my game used cards wondering if there actually from kemps game used jersey or from dee gordons. The scariest part of this is all topps has to do is match the hologram with the player which is so easy. If they cant do this then how will they match up other harder things. I toatally agree with you austin. Its all gonna come crumbling down.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
So i wanted to see what u guys thought. If you guys were a david Ortiz collector would you buy the laundry tag and if you were a jered weaver fan would you buy the tag? Keep in mind its a david ortiz card but the authentication number says its jered weavers.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So i wanted to see what u guys thought. If you guys were a david Ortiz collector would you buy the laundry tag and if you were a jered weaver fan would you buy the tag? Keep in mind its a david ortiz card but the authentication number says its jered weavers.
No.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No to both?
I wouldn't touch the card if I was an Ortiz collector, Weaver collector or anything. It's terrible execution on Topps part and it would suck for either of the player collectors - let alone just a collector of cool cards or cards from the release. Makes you wonder what else is screwed up? I'm SO happy Belle has nothing in this release because I'd question whether it's really his stuff their using.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
How long before this card is re-listed without the holo?

Will this holo appear on some Weaver patch to raise the value?

Points to ponder.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
How long before this card is re-listed without the holo?

Will this holo appear on some Weaver patch to raise the value?

Points to ponder.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.
LOL! That's great... I'm sure this will happen... a patch fakers DREAM!

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Also just found out that topps used the BP all star used jerseys as opposed to the 2013 home run derby ones. I ohnestly would prefer the Home run derby used ones but i guess Topps wasnt willing to dish out the extra dough.