Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 triple threads kemp laundry tag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Hey guys i was looking to buy a 2013 triple threads all star laundry tag of matt kemp. Only problem is the card has no mlb authentication sticker. This worries me cause most of them do. I fear that the seller might have removed the sticker if there ever was one because maybe it didnt match kemp and he didnt want anyone to know but i honestly dont know. What do you think i should do? Pursue the card or let it go?

braves3331

Aug 19, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I don't believe there's anyway to know for sure, Topps of course will say its legit.

I personally would let it go, just because I've read of the other mixups in this years product that were found by the sticker (I can't recall the exact players, but Jered Weaver and A-Gon seem to stick out).

In the end it all depends on what you're comfortable with. I'd imagine if you're questioning it now, you'll question it when you have it. But if it's at a good price, might be worth the risk.

I guess if you think about, most relic or tag cards we own could all be of a different player, we're never 100% sure. We take the manufacturer's word for it in most cases. Could always justify it that way :).

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Yeah get what ur saying but the fact that this one doesnt even have a sticker scares me.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Even if it did have Kemp's authentication number on it, you're just depending on MLB to be correct instead of Topps. You can never know 100% unless the player handed it to you. Worst case scenario it's not Kemp's. It's still a 1/1 laundry tag from a 2012 NL all-star player. Only like 35-40 players per league each year. If you were really worried I guess you could go lookup all the serial #s of the other 1/1 tag cards on eBay and one showed as Kemp you'd know at least 1 party involved got it wrong. If this were a Johnson card it wouldn't deter my bidding, it's still an awesome 1/1 card.

Doubtful a seller would know to look up the number and then risk damaging the card to remove the sticker. Plus those holograms aren't made to be taken off easily, if it was you might be able to tell once you had it in hand.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I don't worry about the authenticity of these things. In fact, I'm sure that a HUGE percentage of gu cards are mismatched or outright fakes. I still buy them because I like baseball cards, so I go by rarity and aesthetics when deciding on a purchase.

hell, if I were offered a sweet ASG laundry tag of Todd Helton (my favorite player), and it had an MLB sticker on there that showed another player, I'd probably buy it (and negotiate the price down because the sticker didn't match) and then take the tag off before putting it in my PC.

thats my take

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I don't worry about the authenticity of these things. In fact, I'm sure that a HUGE percentage of gu cards are mismatched or outright fakes. I still buy them because I like baseball cards, so I go by rarity and aesthetics when deciding on a purchase.

hell, if I were offered a sweet ASG laundry tag of Todd Helton (my favorite player), and it had an MLB sticker on there that showed another player, I'd probably buy it (and negotiate the price down because the sticker didn't match) and then take the tag off before putting it in my PC.

thats my take

Even if it did have Kemp's authentication number on it, you're just depending on MLB to be correct instead of Topps. You can never know 100% unless the player handed it to you. Worst case scenario it's not Kemp's. It's still a 1/1 laundry tag from a 2012 NL all-star player. Only like 35-40 players per league each year. If you were really worried I guess you could go lookup all the serial #s of the other 1/1 tag cards on eBay and one showed as Kemp you'd know at least 1 party involved got it wrong. If this were a Johnson card it wouldn't deter my bidding, it's still an awesome 1/1 card.

Doubtful a seller would know to look up the number and then risk damaging the card to remove the sticker. Plus those holograms aren't made to be taken off easily, if it was you might be able to tell once you had it in hand.

Agree 100%

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I've seen 2012 All-Star BP jerseys with the authentication sticker below the tag and on the back of the jersey, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

tchronis24

Oct 5, 2013
Yeah guys thanks for the advice. Theoretically though Would there be some kind of way I could tell if there was a sticker and he removed it?

Members online