Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 4, 2008
I hate to break up all the break talk but I had this little guy waiting for me when I got home...
View attachment 86571

And in an irritating way it came with a bonus, the seller originally sent me a base pattern...that I needed...but quickly corrected the error and mailed the right one and didn't ask me to send the other one back, even when I asked.

The same thing happened to me with that seller. They sent a base instead of the diffractor and then let me keep the wrong base too ;)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Is this set 20 years old already? Wow.

Not sure I'll ever complete my Erstad run... at the pace of landing one per year. I'm down to 9 cards and a crapload of diffractors (not even bothering to keep a list, I just check the pile).

Erstad base needed
4, 29, 30, 60, 68, 71, 81, 83, 86

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Is this set 20 years old already? Wow.

Not sure I'll ever complete my Erstad run... at the pace of landing one per year. I'm down to 9 cards and a crapload of diffractors (not even bothering to keep a list, I just check the pile).

Erstad base needed
4, 29, 30, 60, 68, 71, 81, 83, 86

I stopped worrying about the Difractors long ago. The fact I own 2 and they were free in most aspects as I bought my first for $5.00 around 3 years ago. The other came in a lot with a base and a difractor with a bunch of other stuff for $50.00 around 16 months ago. Where I sold the other stuff for around $70.00, traded the one diffractor for a different diffractor and 3 base cards I needed put me where I paid nothing for my 2 I own. I believe I am missing 28 for the base set that is one of my hit list items as I would like to finish that up since it shouldn’t cost me more than $20.00 a piece when I find them. It is a hard set to put together though that will take years in most cases to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dec 4, 2008
Haha, the price doubled from the prior time he listed it. Although I guess the stock market is up 50% from that time so go figure...

From my saved searches in March 2014:
1998 Topps Tek Roberto Alomar Complete Set. All Patterns 1-90 Card Lot
Current bid: $600.00
Shipping: $10.00

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, I think overall interest in 98 Tek may have gone up since 2014, but maybe not double. I've bought a good number of cards from him and the prices were fairly reasonable, but this lot is definitely high.

Jun 28, 2018
Oakland, CA
I was just messing around. I don't think Rich cared how many he sold, he's a 98 Tek hoarder, I'm pretty pumped to read tomorrow's break results myself.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I am so very excited. Pack-fresh cards of my fave players in my fave 90s base set, with a shot at Diffractor. I wish I could see it all on video. Probably going to be the highlight of my week. Does that sound sad?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
As far as I'm concerned it's a 20 year old product seeing light for the first time, there's a flimsy historical argument there. I refuse to say sad.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Here goes with the 98 Tek box break: Not a 'hot box' as there were four diffractor patterns, and only one was a selected player--Clemens p.77. Other diffractors pulled were #15 Garciaparra p. 16, #16 Brady Anderson p. 81, and #59 Travis Lee p. 26 -- none of which were selected. (Still better than just three diffractors which is common.) The quality was good overall. Didn't see any significant spotting. Distribution was poor with no base cards for thirty-one different players but with two base patterns for eleven players and three base patterns for McGwire, Griffey, and Caminiti.

Big winner was RiceBondsMntna2Young with 1 Bonds, 2 A-Rod, 1 Clemens, and 3 Griffey base cards and 1 Clemens diffractor. Chippercards.com scored 1 Chipper, 1 Lofton, and 2 Mussina base cards. Onionring9 got 3 McGwire base cards. Letch77 got 2 Frank Thomas and 1 Jeter base cards. Banjar will have 2 Robbie Alomar base cards waiting on his return from Africa. BStanwood gets 1 Mo Vaughn and 1 Biggio base cards. 1 base card for westusmc, nosterbor, TimTom, Brian26 and Gracecollector. Postage refunds coming for Joey12508, MansGame, and Bigunitcards who were shut out, as was Gwynn545.

I'll try to get the cards mailed today, by tomorrow for sure, but I'm in a rural area with very slow mail service. Give it to early next week before panicking. I'll enclose a souvenir checklist that came in each pack. I put all cards in UltraPro sleeves as I opened the packs. The cards will be mailed protected by top loader(s) and in a bubble-pack mailer. Any complaints, open your window and yell real loud toward the North East! Back to watching Super Bowl replays.

Rich Roth
29 Lee Rd
South Deerfield, MA 01373

Members online

Latest posts