Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Drew Pomeranz Traded to the Red Sox For Anderson Espinoza!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Can't wait to find out which prospects Dave D is about to part with.

Let the games begin. :mrgreen:

Dennis Lin ‏@sdutdennislin
Sources: The Padres have agreed to trade Drew Pomeranz to the Red Sox.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
OH. MY. GOD.

Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich
Source: Espinoza is going to the Padres as at least part of the trade for Drew Pomeranz.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Dennis Lin ‏@sdutdennislin
Heard the Drew Pomeranz deal may be for Anderson Espinoza straight up. Espinoza, 18, is Baseball America's 15th-best prospect.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Given the Sox' track record with drafting pitchers, its highly likely Espinoza may top out at AAA by the time he's 24. Or be the Venezuelan Clay Buchholz.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
If we only gave up Espinoza, I love this trade. Granted I was intrigued by Espinoza's potential but to get more of a sure thing for the next few years is awesome in my opinion. We needed a SP for next year anyways and the FA market is absolutely brutal in terms of talent. You have to give to get.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I think everyone on the SoxProspects forum is about to commit suicide. I'm not hard to find in the trade thread, as I'm the only one defending the move.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't even know what to think. We traded a more than solid pitcher for an A ball guy.
He's an elite prospect, still a couple years away. Mid/high 90's FB that he can command, plus curve, plus change. Upside of a #1 or #2 pitcher. A lot can change between now and then but if he pans out he will be a huge arm for you guys for a long time. It stings to trade him, but the return IMO is worth the cost.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Getting a more polished (finally), but still young, pitcher who's been great for almost a calendar year now is a real steal for the Sox IMO.

Even my boy Beane wouldn't have given up his "star" that easily...:lol:

socalsignatures

Aug 28, 2008
As a Padres fan and lurker of FCB, I was finally compelled to post.

Love this trade. Yes, Pomeranz is dealing right now and is under contract for a couple of years. However, does anyone really think SD will be competitive in that time frame?

The way I see it, the Padres are quickly rebuilding a farm system they gutted during their Kimbrel/Upton offeseason that quickly led them nowhere...

Praddock (think I spelled that right), the guy we got for Rodney is dealing and Espinoza is a potential King Felix/Pedro type talent combined + the Cuban guy we spent big $$$ lends to a slightly brighter future.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Sox traded potential for production. Sox don't potential. Padres don't really need production.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
KLaw - "This is an absolute steal for the Padres, even acknowledging the risks attendant to any 18-year-old pitcher, and to any pitcher who's still in Low-A and probably two years from the big leagues in a best-case scenario and three to four in a reasonable one. "

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts