Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Verlander gets No-No No.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Now let's see if he can reach 3,000 strikeouts on the same year

He needs 43 more with 4 starts left (possibly a 5th) on the season. He has 8 double digit strikeout performances in his last 9 starts and the only one he failed to put up double digits was the game he was ejected early from.

He leads the AL in all the following categories now....

17 Wins
193 Innings Pitched
2.56 ERA
0.77 WHIP
257 Strikeouts
35 Walks
7.34 K/BB rate

That's right, he could also achieve the pitchers triple crown this year...he's currently 1st in all 3 categories.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Strange how this guy's getting better in his late 30s.
If this were the '90s or '00s, I'd say something's fishy. Still's a little odd compared to other pitchers in history.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Strange how this guy's getting better in his late 30s.
If this were the '90s or '00s, I'd say something's fishy. Still's a little odd compared to other pitchers in history.

Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan & Curt Schilling are a few non-PED users that come to mind who were always good but their career spiked in their mid to late 30's

Also, JV is 36 so I'd say mid-30's, not late 30's especially since the spike in his career began when he was 33.

Verlander has always been verbal with his dislike of those who use PEDS to cheat but that doesn't mean that he ain't using 'em. Could be a diversion (who knows?) but I would be far more suspicious if he was pretty much just an average pitcher his entire career until he turned 33 and began pitching like a Cy Young candidate. In JV's case, he was pretty much a perennial Cy Young candidate since his mid 20's (he won an MVP), then was injured and then began pitching like a perennial Cy Young candidate again. If you believe in sabermetrics, his best years were actually his age 28/29 seasons when he put up an 8+ WAR each year. He's never had an 8 WAR season since.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
The best old guy pitcher was definitely Randy Johnson. His age 37 and 38 seasons combined for over 20WAR, over 700K in 500 innings.....that boggles the mind. :eek:

Verlander is on a nice roll right now, I'd like to see him break the alltime K record but that's not happening.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The best old guy pitcher was definitely Randy Johnson. His age 37 and 38 seasons combined for over 20WAR, over 700K in 500 innings.....that boggles the mind. :eek:

Verlander is on a nice roll right now, I'd like to see him break the alltime K record but that's not happening.

And I had the privilege to be able to watch him pitch several times since I had season tickets back in 2001. He has got to be the most intimidating pitcher to face....he was a beast out there on the mound...dude was almost 7 feet tall. I had seats near the D-Backs dugout and when I'd walk out there to get pics during the pre-game warmups I felt soooooo small!

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
My earlier post was inaccurate....JV actually only needs 37 more strikeouts to reach the 3k SO milestone. With 4 (or possibly a 5th) starts left on the season for him he could easily achieve that mark.

70.3 career bWAR
70.8 career fWAR

Both sabermetric equations come to roughly the same number which is quite spectacular and is due to the fact that his career ERA & FIP/xFIP are so close (3.34 ERA/3.31 xFIP/3.42 FIP). xFIP is just a revised version of FIP that is calculated in the same way, except it replaces a pitcher’s home run total with an estimate of how many home runs they should have allowed given the number of fly balls they surrendered while assuming a league average home run to fly ball percentage. It's useful because it removes some of the randomness in the pitcher’s actual performance. The two equations for WAR are calculated in nearly the same manner except fangraphs is FIP/xFIP based while Baseball Reference is ERA/ERA+ based. Personally I prefer going by fWAR for pitchers because of this very reason (removes luck, sequencing and defense...paints a better picture of their actual performance. Although it does have it's downside, more specifically it doesn't include hits with exception to home runs). Then for some reason I prefer to go by bWAR for position players...no real scientific explanation other than it seems to match the players overall season better than fWAR does.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I will gladly settle for a spot in the top 10 Verlander cheerleaders. :grouphug:

Best pitcher, best media hater, best wife-haver, etc etc.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I would imagine the intangible effect of pitching for a winner like Houston gives him even more confidence to just go after hitters instead of trying to be cute to get them out. Knowing that your offense will pick you up at nearly every mistake has to be a huge mental boost to just let your stuff do the work, keep the pitch count low and just throw strikes

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I will gladly settle for a spot in the top 10 Verlander cheerleaders. :grouphug:

Best pitcher, best media hater, best wife-haver, etc etc.

There is a loooong waiting list to become one of the top 10 Verlander cheerleaders.

As the #1 cheerleader of course I oversee who deserves to become one of us.

Initiations can be a grueling process to pledges. We go above and beyond with our hazing.

So if you feel you're truly worthy....... :evil: let the game begin :evil:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
We go above and beyond with our hazing.

My double bubble can take it, papi.

:-?

hE3B98D4C

Members online