Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

90's Promos and Samples

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
have only seen 2 copies of this... stole this one for .99 plus shipping

JoseCansecoPC2006077.jpg

I know what you mean. It took me forever to find this.
2005UpperDeckClassics17Promo.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I won a 1993 Cooperstown promo last week BIN for $4 plus S&H, and received it a couple days ago. No scan as I'm on my iPad, but it's in great condition. It was by sure chance I even got to see the auction as I was working late that night

Holy crap! Nice grab!

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Here is a copy of the order form sent to dealers plus they included 1 promo with each form. The promos were blank back and did not indicacte Promo anywhere on the card. I had two accounts and rec. Gregg Jeffries and one other. I think I gave the Jefferies to Clarkfan when he purchased the 90 Score Clark promo from me. I think Clarkfan has sold several of these on his website in the past and he could add more on the subject.

1989Scoremasters.jpg

1989ScoremastersInfo.jpg

1989ScoremastersRipken.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Here is a copy of the order form sent to dealers plus they included 1 promo with each form. The promos were blank back and did not indicacte Promo anywhere on the card. I had two accounts and rec. Gregg Jeffries and one other. I think I gave the Jefferies to Clarkfan when he purchased the 90 Score Clark promo from me. I think Clarkfan has sold several of these on his website in the past and he could add more on the subject.

Interesting, the Clemens I picked up has SAMPLE stamped/printed in large black block letters on the back.

Some good info here, I particularly liked the idea that Score made the set better by subbing Jerome Walton for Fernando. I know at the time it was a great idea, but now...not so much.

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Interesting, the Clemens I picked up has SAMPLE stamped/printed in large black block letters on the back.

Some good info here, I particularly liked the idea that Score made the set better by subbing Jerome Walton for Fernando. I know at the time it was a great idea, but now...not so much.

Now that I think about it, I think it was white back with Sample maybe diagonal across the back. I'm not at home and I don't have the scan on photobucket anymore. I'm sure Clarkfan will chime in with the facts since he probably still has the card or one like it.

Paul

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

Okay, now I'm scared there's a Mark Grace promo I've never seen - but didn't know to look for.

Interesting looking at the Scoremasters on eBay that their are different two-player combinations featured on the boxes.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This was on Worthpoint from a 2011 eBay listing... with an image of a Greg Jeffries promo. Maybe not all players on the checklist exist.

"You are bidding on a very rare prototype/sample card of Gregg Jefferies from the 1989 Scoremasters. Scoremaster was a regular issued set in 1989 and featured many of the top players of the era. However, a few prototype sample cards were issued prior to the release and are rarely seen in today's market. Only given away 1 per registered dealer/wholesaler and supposedly, each player in the set has a sample/promo, but I've seen very few in the hobby. Card has a large BLACK sample imprinted on the reverse of the card. You see a few here and there talked about on baseball card collector forums, but not very often. After years of searching for Will Clark, the players that I have heard to exist are Nolan Ryan, Don Mattingly, George Brett, Darryl Strawberry, Bo Jackson, Jose Canseco, this Jefferies and supposedly a Will Clark (which I've never seen), only heard existed."

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Okay, now I'm scared there's a Mark Grace promo I've never seen - but didn't know to look for.

Interesting looking at the Scoremasters on eBay that their are different two-player combinations featured on the boxes.

I'm sure there is a Grace out there somewhere. I didn't order the product but did get 2 promo's, I can't remember who the other one was besides the Jefferies.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I had originally suspected that all Scoremasters were made into Samples, with Clark being on my need list for years. But I was told by someone with a lot of promo knowledge, there is only a 6 card set of players with the SAMPLE version. All the samples do have the white back with a big block letters SAMPLE on the reverse. Some have entirely different artwork on the front and others the same exact artwork. The promos that exist are: Canseco, Jefferies, Clemens, Brett, Daryl Strawberry, Don Mattingly.

Now, I can't promise that info is 100% accurate, but as far as I've ever personally seen and have heard from other big promo collectors, those are what's out there.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
And that was my Jefferies listing. The information I've gained since that listing has changed a little. Even though I have been contacted about a Bo existing as well as the Ryan, I can no longer confirm those exist since I've never personally seen them, but the rest of those guys are accurate.

This was on Worthpoint from a 2011 eBay listing... with an image of a Greg Jeffries promo. Maybe not all players on the checklist exist.

"You are bidding on a very rare prototype/sample card of Gregg Jefferies from the 1989 Scoremasters. Scoremaster was a regular issued set in 1989 and featured many of the top players of the era. However, a few prototype sample cards were issued prior to the release and are rarely seen in today's market. Only given away 1 per registered dealer/wholesaler and supposedly, each player in the set has a sample/promo, but I've seen very few in the hobby. Card has a large BLACK sample imprinted on the reverse of the card. You see a few here and there talked about on baseball card collector forums, but not very often. After years of searching for Will Clark, the players that I have heard to exist are Nolan Ryan, Don Mattingly, George Brett, Darryl Strawberry, Bo Jackson, Jose Canseco, this Jefferies and supposedly a Will Clark (which I've never seen), only heard existed."

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Nice website but when I checked my Derek Bell Sample pictured above they didn't know it existed. I think Clarkfan has a Ryne Sandberg from this set also.

I cut this from there 97 Sample description section[h=2]Promos[/h]These cards were issued to Hobby dealers and the Hobby media to preview the 1997 Select set. These cards have "SAMPLE" written on the front to differentiate them from the regular cards. It is unclear exactly how many sample cards were made; the list below shows only those known to exist.
1 Juan Gonzalez
3 Tony Gwynn
8 Frank Thomas
15 Paul Molitor
23 Greg Maddux
47 Ken Griffey, Jr.
50 Rickey Henderson
53 Alex Rodriguez
71 Cal Ripken, Jr.
107 Danny Patterson
124 J.J. Johnson
121 Bobby Henley (Select Company)

Paul

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I had originally suspected that all Scoremasters were made into Samples, with Clark being on my need list for years. But I was told by someone with a lot of promo knowledge, there is only a 6 card set of players with the SAMPLE version. All the samples do have the white back with a big block letters SAMPLE on the reverse. Some have entirely different artwork on the front and others the same exact artwork. The promos that exist are: Canseco, Jefferies, Clemens, Brett, Daryl Strawberry, Don Mattingly.

Now, I can't promise that info is 100% accurate, but as far as I've ever personally seen and have heard from other big promo collectors, those are what's out there.

As a player collector I've learned to never say never, but I'm guessing this is correct. I have never heard of an Ozzie Smith promo from this set and certainly haven't seen one. If Brad hasn't seen the Mark Grace either then I would guess the above is accurate information. If anyone has any hard evidence to dispute this I'd love to hear it... no I wouldn't.:lol:

Members online

Latest posts