Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most ridiculous offseason contract so far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
So what do you think is the most ridiculous offseason contract since it seems that this year there has been many more than past years.

Some options:

McCarthy - 4 years 48 million. Dude has never had a really good season save the partial for the Yanks last year. Yet he got a BIG deal and has a checkered injury past.

Sandoval - 5 years 95 million. A slightly above average 3B got 100 million dollars???!??! SERIOUSLY!?

Billy Butler - 3 years 30 million. A washed up, below average DH with no power signing with the A's and who knows what the hell is going on there.

Morales - 2 years 17 million. Just look at his stats and tell me he is worth 9 million a year.

Russell Martin - 5 years 82.5 million. This deal is going to be GOD AWFUL in the next few years. Coming in barely under McCann's deal and McCann is by far the better catcher.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Tried to create a poll and it didn't work. So just comment what you think I guess. Other options that are noteworthy:

Zack Duke, Yasmany Tomas, Markakis.

If you have other specify why.

IMO Martin and Sandoval are the very clear most ridiculous comments.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
To me Russell Martin was the biggest head scratcher in terms of numbers. Pablo Sandoval is overpaid for sure as well

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Russell Martin. The Cubs were looking at him and I am glad they passed him up for that price tag.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
To me Russell Martin was the biggest head scratcher in terms of numbers. Pablo Sandoval is overpaid for sure as well

Both of these were really hard for me to understand. The infatuation with Sandoval to me is hard to fathom. He's basically an average offensive 3rd baseman whose weight could easily lead to an early decline. He's been golden during the Playoffs for the Giants, but beyond that... And the Martin deal just seems to make no sense.

I also can't understand what the Marlins are doing with the Giancarlo Stanton deal.

My only thought is one that I posted a while back and that is that maybe as the TV deals are soaring, we are entering an era where player contracts will continue to rise. The additional money, combined with the fact that in recent years there have been very few big names on the free-agent market may just be the tide that is lifting all ships...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How about the Stanton 13 year deal!?! Do we think that was logical?
Do you really think the Marlins are going to keep him for 13 years? I'd be surprised if he's there more than 3 years.
They just signed him for a brief run, then they'll trade him and his ludicrous contract to a big market team for a bunch of prospects like the Marlins always do with their stars.
They won't pay for most of that contract. Some other team like the Yankees or Dodgers will.

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Both of these were really hard for me to understand. The infatuation with Sandoval to me is hard to fathom. He's basically an average offensive 3rd baseman whose weight could easily lead to an early decline. He's been golden during the Playoffs for the Giants, but beyond that... And the Martin deal just seems to make no sense.

I also can't understand what the Marlins are doing with the Giancarlo Stanton deal.

My only thought is one that I posted a while back and that is that maybe as the TV deals are soaring, we are entering an era where player contracts will continue to rise. The additional money, combined with the fact that in recent years there have been very few big names on the free-agent market may just be the tide that is lifting all ships...

Yeah I mean the thing is the MLB went from GREAT players getting $25 mil per year, to good players getting $25 mil + per year, to average players getting 9 figure contracts. Once the precedent is set you kind of have to keep going on that trajectory unfortunately. Agree on the Sandoval deal, 5 years is a lot and that kind of money really just doesn't make sense to me. Russell Martin is no spring chicken, I understand good catchers aren't easy to find but he's very very average, he'll be 36 years old by the time this deal runs out and catchers generally decline earlier than field players.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Comparatively, Stanton's contract is fair. Especially the way it is laid out. It gives the marlins lots of flexibility and I would not be surprised to see them win the WS in the next four or five years. He is the best offensive player in the game (besides Trout) and on the open market you can bet he would get 30 million a year.

Martin is a ridiculous contract. He's solid but nothing special and he will be in rapid deline late in that deal

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No one should be making that much money to play a game. Scrubs getting inflated contracts don't make a guy making 68k a day acceptable.
Do you feel the same way about actors getting $25 million a movie for three months work?
Or a singer making $25 million during a summer concert tour or a seasonal show in Vegas?

Why are athletes criticized so much for making millions? They're entertainers too.
And if MLB and team owners are making billions of dollars, why shouldn't the players share in that wealth?

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
And statements like this prove my point.

No one should be making that much money to play a game. Scrubs getting inflated contracts don't make a guy making 68k a day acceptable.

No they don't prove your point. Your point has nothing to do with this conversation. You are proving your ignorance and I have no idea why I unblocked your post. I can see why you are the only person on this site on my blocked list.

If you are paying someone like fatty pablo sandoval 100 million dollars, Stanton is worth 300. Its the way baseball works. Contracts are huge in all sports because they are massive markets and bring in boatloads of money. Your argument is ridiculous and is best saved for another thread.