Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 Timeless Treasures Samples

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Does anyone know anything about these? Some "SAMPLE" stamps on the back look different from others. Any ideas on the back story of these and such, real and otherwise? Origin? why do the stamps look different etc?

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The game used, autos and inserts which have the large "sample" are cards which were sent to mlb for approval. This goes for all donruss cards (years and brands) except base cards from what I've read.

I have a couple ranging from commons to Ichiro from a couple different years.

I believe they are one of a kind but not sure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

May 18, 2012
have you heard of the different "sample" foil stamp being different sizes?

The game used, autos and inserts which have the large "sample" are cards which were sent to mlb for approval.

I have a couple ranging from commons to Ichiro from a couple different years.

I believe they are one of a kind but not sure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here are 2001 to 2003 ("numbered" rookies and an insert)

1447905487582.jpg
That 2001 rookie has a different font "sample"

1447905562964.jpg
2003 Leaf Ichiro insert and a 2001 Certified Floyd Sample with different font again.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I have a Dawson, I will try to get a pic up this evening when I get home from work. I have only seen two, the one I have and one that is put up in eBay over and over for too high of a starting bid. I was also told these are 1/1s that were sent to MLB for approval.

Jun 30, 2010
From my understanding as well. They were to be sent to MLB for approval. However, I have heard different stories about how they got out on the market. This is the story as I was told by one of the NE dealers who bought ALL the samples from every card produced from the years 2001-2003. Come to your own conclusion as there is still speculation.

I was informed that an executive from Donruss/Leaf was given these upon his retirement??????? He then sold them to 2 dealers from New York and Connecticut. They are all stamped with the large SAMPLE on them. The sample is a little more wavy or calligraphic than the normal sample which is smaller and were inserts in the Beckett magazines. I bought many of the Braves and Venezuelan Ballplayers and what I have left are on Ebay( Dollarsportscards). They are ALL supposed to be 1/1's. The Dawson and a Dale Murphy are the only cards that I have heard of to be claimed to be a second card of. I continually have checked for these and NEVER have seen a second card of any others. Years ago I had many different Vizquels and Galarraga. I have neither now. Still have a handful of Chipper/Maddux and Glavine. They are legit, however I had been told that, about 7 or 8 years ago Beckett will not grade or acknowledge them. Maybee that has changed.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have a couple Mike Brown (Bears FB) ones from 2000. The Donruss and Leaf Limited ones I bought from the same dealer on eBay. The 2000 Leaf R&S I got direct from his dad. So I'm not sure if it was part of the players contract to get one..??

I've seen a few insert/GU Clark ones, but more than I want to pay.

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Great info, thanks guys! It is stories like these that make this hobby so interesting to me.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
From my understanding as well. They were to be sent to MLB for approval. However, I have heard different stories about how they got out on the market. This is the story as I was told by one of the NE dealers who bought ALL the samples from every card produced from the years 2001-2003. Come to your own conclusion as there is still speculation.

I was informed that an executive from Donruss/Leaf was given these upon his retirement??????? He then sold them to 2 dealers from New York and Connecticut. They are all stamped with the large SAMPLE on them. The sample is a little more wavy or calligraphic than the normal sample which is smaller and were inserts in the Beckett magazines. I bought many of the Braves and Venezuelan Ballplayers and what I have left are on Ebay( Dollarsportscards). They are ALL supposed to be 1/1's. The Dawson and a Dale Murphy are the only cards that I have heard of to be claimed to be a second card of. I continually have checked for these and NEVER have seen a second card of any others. Years ago I had many different Vizquels and Galarraga. I have neither now. Still have a handful of Chipper/Maddux and Glavine. They are legit, however I had been told that, about 7 or 8 years ago Beckett will not grade or acknowledge them. Maybee that has changed.

Just to clarify, the two Dawson's aren't the same card. They are the only two I have seen and are different cards

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
AM%209%20F.jpg
AM%209%20B.jpg

Game%20day%20F.jpg
Game%20day%20B.jpg

Jun 30, 2010
Not all of these are 1/1s. A seller on COMC has two copies each of two different Hank Aaron cards (2005 Prime Cuts Timeline Bats and 2005 Leaf Limited Lumberjacks Bats):

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...s_Sample_Memorabilia/T-13/Hank_Aaron/10906660

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/..._Sample_Memorabilia/LJ-16/Hank_Aaron/10906661

There were different versions of some of these cards, gold and silver. I believe this 2 be the case with the 2 Aaron cards. If they are the same card then there must be a different back.
I saw most of the collection that the 2 dealers in the NE bought. NO duplicates at all and I have never seen or owned one in 13 years. I owned a few hundred of these and actively researched these for 6 or 7 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts