Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PRETTY COOL - NEW US MINTED BASEBALL COIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I am actually surprised they had to change mid-sale to limit the number per household. People must have been buying them en masse.

We own a few uncirc. Liberty Dollars. We have a family friend that worked for the mint in New Orleans. He would buy a few off of the line for my brothers and I and give them to our dad for us.

They announced the limits yesterday - they didn't change today

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
What makes you think they are wait listed? I still see them online as available to ship 4/11/14??

I ordered one of each except the gold uncirc. And two of the gold proof, with hopes of selling one for a little profit. I sure hope its wait listed, but I'm not seeing it...

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

On the item description on the page it says the order limit has been reached I'm on my phone and can't get link right now

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Anyone interested, AS A COLLECTOR AND NOT A RESELLER, in a gold coin? Although the order system appears to be messed up and all over the place, there's a possible chance that I get an extra gold coin that I would likely cancel or send back (bought three and only want to keep one and sell one..no need for the 3rd). If interested, again AS A COLLECTOR, send me a PM.

Because i am looking to help a collector, im not looking to make any money on this. So, if i do get that extra gold coin, id sell it to you for the price i paid. PM me if interested.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What is a difference between a proof and an uncirculated other than $1 in price?

Looking at the baseball coin on the us mint website, the coins I'm considering have the same mintage press run, same metal composition and same weight/diameter but one is a proof and one is uncirculated.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Anyone else's order get pushed back to ship 5/31? Mine originally stated it would ship 3/28 but now says backordered.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
What is a difference between a proof and an uncirculated other than $1 in price?

Looking at the baseball coin on the us mint website, the coins I'm considering have the same mintage press run, same metal composition and same weight/diameter but one is a proof and one is uncirculated.

Proofs used to be just that, a "proof" or example of the coin before it was released. Proofs of pre 1900 coins are big money

Modern proofs are just just uncirculated coins that are struck on a special die that is treated to accentuate the design, and the proof coins are struck several times, like 3 as opposed to the uncirculated (UNC) coins wich are only once. Proof coins when they are in hand look like mirrors.

Proofs look cooler but small dings or scratches are much more noticable

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I should also note on an investment note, proofs are not always the winners. Often times, especially the UNC commemorative coins that do not sell well, the UNC hold higher value later due to low release. I think these will hold across the board so it's just whatever you like. I'll take an iphone pic of an UNC and Proof side by side in a sec

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Proofs look cooler but small dings or scratches are much more noticable

thanks for the info. I think I'll buy a UNC version since minor scratches from the strike of my pres dollars bug me (and that's only one strike!). I totally understand scratches can be unavoidable in striking so it just means some of my coins wouldn't grade as high because of bad luck of that particular strike leaving a minor scratch.

For the proof, I can't imagine having 3 perfectly aligned strikes without having tons more scratches and other imperfections than just a single-strike UNC.

I'm not in it for the investment necessarily - I just thought I'd add a cool and historic (first US Mint curved surface coin) to my baseball item collection. Does anyone know the process of making the coin? Is the coin metal put through one press that curves it and then the strike is done with special dies that fit the curve or does the strike not only make the impression but also curve the coin?

Last edited:

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Some numbers from the mint...gold is sold out. Causing ebay sales to quickly jump up to some nice premiums over the mint's price...

The sales figures for the coins as of the March 30, 2014 reporting date are as follows:
ProofUncTotal
$5 Gold Coins32,00018,00050,000
Silver Dollars155,52373,002228,525
Clad Half Dollars67,23644,144111,380

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
For the proof, I can't imagine having 3 perfectly aligned strikes without having tons more scratches and other imperfections than just a single-strike UNC.

Actually it's the opposite! These strikes are very powerful and fast. The multiple strikes actually make the surface smoother and crisper. Here's last years Girl Scout comm proof strike
ejatuteg.jpg

hedyvyra.jpg

Great luster and clean strike

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
i knew i should have gotten my ass out of bed to buy a few of the golds. i decided to go back to bed instead. golds are almost double the purchase price.

Members online

Latest posts