Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you have any cards from when you collected as a kid? I do and it ain't pretty!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have been going through the massive amount of cards I have that are left over from when I ran a card shop a number of years ago and I ran across some of my own cards I had as a kid. I started collecting in 1973 and would always get the newspaper each day and turn to the transactions section of the news paper to see who was traded, released, waiver....whatever. I would then get out my shoe box of cards, pull that player's card out and mark the card up with the next team he was traded to. It was my way of making a "living" set and keeping up with who was playing where. At that time I didn't care about rookie cards or keeping the cards in mint condition as I held them all together with rubber bands anyway. I remember writing on my Mike Schmidt rookie and marking Roberto Clemente's final 1973 Topps card as deceased after he was tragically killed in a plane crash on a humanitarian mission to Nicaragua. It didnt matter who the player was, if he was in the transaction section of the newspaper he got marked up. It has actually been fun seeing these cards and I am glad I still have them as they are an incredible reminder of my child hood.

Does anyone else still have cards from their childhood? Lets see them if you do!!

Scan 1.jpg

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I still have my binders from when I was a kid/teenager I will post some pictures in the morning.

Last edited:

WaxPax

Yes I do too, and they are pretty much from the same time as yours, 73-78. I found them in my parents house before they moved out for good, and kept them. Some of them are in similar condition from "Flippin" in the school yard, then shoving the cards into my pockets....lol. Others are in pretty decent shape all things considered, no scans but maybe I should......good topic

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I've had Dreams of finding my old cards, the only one I found was a 1971 Rod Carew, pretty tattered

But I Do Have My Old Redlines
redlines.jpg

transfer_0444.jpg

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Still have tons of them in binders and boxes at my parents' house. My daughter enjoys going through them when she sleeps over. Approximately 40 of the cards in my Ellis Burks collection came from my childhood collection, including my favorite:

1992_fleer_35.jpg

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Here are some pics. Threw away all my junk era commons along time ago. But still have these 3 binders of stars, inserts and rookies (who mostly didn't make it). Have a few baseball in top loaders its funny to look back and see what players you thought would become superstars or where having a good year and then just fizzled out. Or inserts that where so hard to pull yet aren't worth much anymore.

Born: 1979
Started collecting: 1988
Quit: 1999
Started back: 2008

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272571.435251.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272581.424197.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272595.042254.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272604.540691.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272620.089367.jpgImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1379272635.820327.jpg

Last edited:

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Here are some pics. Threw away all my junk era commons along time ago. But still have these 3 binders of stars, inserts and rookies (who mostly didn't make it). Have a few baseball in top loaders its funny to look back and see what players you thought would become superstars or where having a good year and then just fizzled out. Or inserts that where so hard to pull yet aren't worth much anymore.

Born: 1979
Started collecting: 1988
Quit: 1999
Started back: 2008

View attachment 22143View attachment 22144View attachment 22145View attachment 22146View attachment 22147View attachment 22148

Seeing this made me feel really old. Born: 1968

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Sorry accidentially hit post...Unfortunately like many people most of my cards and my older brother's were thrown out. We had cards from the late 60's to the mid 70's that all got trashed. I started to collect again but most were just thron into a big Bose speaker box until I knew they were worth anything back in 1895 when a friend took me to my first card show. I then began to collect regularly again.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
LOL 1979,1968

Makes Me Feel Really Really Old

Hey what's the big idea...no year listed.....lol..........honestly though on these boards 1968 is pretty old and based on jbmm161's post of his childhood cards you get the picture. Oh and I would trade all my cards for all my old cars. I have a whole bunch of them still but some are in really bad shape. Starting to re-collect them slowly.

Members online

Latest posts