Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I may be crazy but im thinking of scanning in all my Griffey cards. From what I remember i have around 1,350 different onse but alot of cool inserts from the 90's.... Maybe.....

I've been toying with the idea too. Taking good pics of the front/back of each and cataloging it to a website.

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
...but I have zero time and other priorities.

Just send em to COMC and have them do it. $.20/card is well worth the time you'd spend cataloging your collection on your own. You don't have to list them for sale and I believe they store them for free. If it's stuff you have just sitting in a box, why not? My 2 pesos...

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Just send em to COMC and have them do it. $.20/card is well worth the time you'd spend cataloging your collection on your own. You don't have to list them for sale and I believe they store them for free. If it's stuff you have just sitting in a box, why not? My 2 pesos...

But isnt that what is fun in collecting basbeall cards? doing it yourself?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
anyone else have all 3 of theses ?
2007allstar.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I can't believe PWCC Auctions posted this. I also can't believe that PSA authenticated this. This is clearly a fake. It's missing the matching COA and the hologram number on the back isn't in line with the others. Awful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-UD-09-Buy-Back-Ken-Griffey-Jr-ROOKIE-AUTO-89-PSA-DNA-1-PSA-AUTH-PWCC-/141625432087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9889817

PSA is only authenticating the auto, not that it's authentic buyback. Not that anyone buying it is thinking that. They did the same thing with my peter Max auto.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
PSA is only authenticating the auto, not that it's authentic buyback. Not that anyone buying it is thinking that. They did the same thing with my peter Max auto.

Joey, it's a fake. It's a fake auto too I'd bet. If Griffey auto'd it, who wrote the 20 years and the serial number on the front, as well as the hologram sticker on the back? The whole thing is a fake. The auto doesn't look good to me.

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Joey, it's a fake. It's a fake auto too I'd bet. If Griffey auto'd it, who wrote the 20 years and the serial number on the front, as well as the hologram sticker on the back? The whole thing is a fake. The auto doesn't look good to me.

Just my observation as someone who knows Griffey's sig pretty well. It looks like someone tried really hard to fake the sig. The sloping/angle looks too forced and inconsistent, and the "G" is wrong. At the bottom of the "G" it should loop the opposite direction. Also, the "y" is disconnected and re-started from the "iffe." Griffey does the full "riffey" in one fluid motion without picking up the pen and re-setting it.

On another note, it's cool to see peapod and the good doctor still around. A lot of my collection still owes you two a big thanks.

Last edited:

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
Wow, PWCC is even selling one of the unlicensed/fake '88 SB spirit cards that was errantly graded by PSA. Tsk Tsk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Cal-Ca...204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f988717c

http://oddballcardcollector.blogspot.com/2015/03/1988-cal-cards-san-bernardino-spirit.html

Think this collection belonged to GriffeySandberg...no wonder he didn't auction them himself. I'd even hazard a guess that the '88 Procards PSA 9 he's got up is a reprint that was graded ages ago. Tons of them around and PSA has gotten better at spotting them these days. None of the authentic versions were centered anywhere close to that one. I hate PSA for just this reason; they cannot be trusted to grade/authenticate anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Procar...0&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=141625422204&rt=nc

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Is it me, or does it look like the same guy signed a bunch of those... and it wasn't Griffey
just hard to believe people would even think to buy these ones, we had a member here that had one graded by Beckett even
13-89gradedbuyback.jpg

Last edited:

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
I know this isn't a famed 1998 auto of his but this is my favorite card. Any time Topps pairs these two together, I'm buying.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Attachments

• 1428762343456.jpg
    1428762343456.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20

bedot

Dec 4, 2011
I know this isn't a famed 1998 auto of his but this is my favorite card. Any time Topps pairs these two together, I'm buying.

I don't know if Topps will want to pay for that combo many times so this will remain my best auto card for a while.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I went to a show yesterday near me that was petty big. Mostly vintage, with 1 or 2 good dealers with newer stuff. It's way too funny that 99% of dealers have no Idea about 90s inserts, in particular Griffey. Whenever I ask people if they have any Griffey it's always the same answer, "I've got his 89 so an so". One guy was like I got all his minor league rookies. I'm just thinking to myself Griffey Rookies are essential worthless ( not talking gems). I've not found one dealer who really knows Griffeys true Market. I can't complain as they results in better deals for all of his if we find some nice stuff. Today's modern dealers are 100% focused on game used and autos, kinda sucks when going to shows trying to pick up inserts.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I went to a show yesterday near me that was petty big. Mostly vintage, with 1 or 2 good dealers with newer stuff. It's way too funny that 99% of dealers have no Idea about 90s inserts, in particular Griffey. Whenever I ask people if they have any Griffey it's always the same answer, "I've got his 89 so an so". One guy was like I got all his minor league rookies. I'm just thinking to myself Griffey Rookies are essential worthless ( not talking gems). I've not found one dealer who really knows Griffeys true Market. I can't complain as they results in better deals for all of his if we find some nice stuff. Today's modern dealers are 100% focused on game used and autos, kinda sucks when going to shows trying to pick up inserts.

This is what prevents me from shelling out the $ to travel to the Nationals... Or is it different there?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts