Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How's everyone doing on their 2014 collecting goals? only a month left!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Here's what I posted almost a year ago:

Idk if I contributed to that thread or not but 2013 was a great year for my hof pc. Picking up autos of mantle, Williams, Aaron, DiMaggio and many others. More than happy with the progress there. Also starting 400hr, 500hr, and 50 hr season pcs only needing autos of 5 to complete all 3.

2014 goals:
Finish those 5 autos I need.
I'd love to add a dizzy dean auto and a select few others for HOF (but no real plan)
Pick up a trout auto (yes, I'm buying into the hype)
Jeter auto
Ichiro auto
Pick up whatever I see fit

My results:
400/500/50hr
finished off the autos I can afford, including an Ott (never thought I would) mark mcgwire sweet spot and others
Picked up a Dizzy thanks to @APharis
trout Tribute auto
Jeter (incoming) and Ichiro sweet spots
My pickups have become fewer but I'm happier with the results

2014 has been a banner year for my collection. I know life happens but thankfully through some thin this hobby and community of members has kept me going. I look forward to another rendition of this type of thread later.
How'd everyone else do?

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I think my goals were to keep collecting Jim Thome, Phillies cards, and finish 1973 Topps set. I have done well with the Thome collection, but not the other 2.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
1) Add a JJ GU Glove, Jersey or Pants to the collection. Nope, nothing, that I know, has popped
2) Hit between 1250 and 1500 certified pack pulled auto's of JJ (at nearly 1000 now). Miscounted, somewhere, and I believe I'm just over 1000 now. This will be the 2015 goal.
3) Add 15 more 1/1's to the collection I'll have to check this but may have obtained it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Complete 1941 Play Ball and 1955 Bowman sets, keep a eye out for 1971 Greatest Moments I need, along with several modern low-print-run sets
Keep adding to my 2011 Marquee Museum stack
Find a 2001 Topps Heritage Chrome Magglio Ordonez, finally, ending my incredible frustration
Take on a 2014 set that is somewhat reasonable in its scope, price, and chances for completion
Scan my Sizemore collection and put it online
Sell a ton of crap
Found my Ordonez, and didn't have to pay a lot, which was awesome.
Added many 2011 Museums to my collection, with some big names.
Got a couple 41s and 55s but not really progressing there. The only 71s I need are the SP'd HoFers and they are VHTF and expensive.
Added a couple cards to my low print run sets (#/25 or so) but it's tougher every year.
Started the Topps Heritage black refractor set but interest waned quickly.
Scanned no Sizemore cards.
Sold almost nothing.
I give myself a C-.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
My goals changed this year due to focusing on different collections. I stopped my Denard Span and Joe Mauer player PCs, still pick up Mauer and Span Twins base and inserts for the Twins collection though. I focused more on HOF autos and signed baseballs. In January I made it my goal to pick up at least one signed baseball or one HOF auto card (pack inserted preferred, but collect PSA/DNA, TTM/IP, etc.) I like to think that I accomplished my goals. Over the past year I have added these to the collection-

Signed Baseballs-
Joe Mauer- IP at TwinsFest
Rod Carew- IP at TwinsFest
Alex Meyer- IP at TwinsFest
Kent Hrbek- IP at TwinsFest
Jack Morris- IP at TwinsFest
Brian Dozier- IP at Twins@Rockies game
Jamey Carroll- Mystery Grab Bagat TwinsFest
Fergie Jenkins
Billy Williams
Ben Revere- Mystery ball from Fan HQ
Ryne Sandberg HOF ball
Gaylord Perry
Miguel Sano

HOF Autos (pack inserted)-
Gaylord Perry
Don Sutton
Rollie Fingers
Harmon Killebrew
Rod Carew
Andre Dawson
Paul Molitor
Goose Gossage
Jim Rice
Hoyt Wilhelm
Red Schoendienst
Ozzie Smith
Dave Winfield

PSA/DNA-
Ryne Sandberg RC
Ted Lyons Goudey reprint
Rick Ferrell index card

TTM-
Bobby Doerr
Wade Boggs
Red Schoendienst
Paul Molitor
Jim Bunning
Al Kaline

So after looking at the final tally, it appears that I did fairly well for the collection. Granted, TwinsFest helped a lot for the ROMLB collection. I know that a lot of the guys that I have are lower end HOFers, but as a college student that only works the summer, I'm proud of where my collection is going. My goal will probably be the same for the next year, but with more of a focus on the cards- 12 new HOF autos next year, while picking up ROMLB when the price is right and I can afford to

My goals for 2014:

1. Reach 1300 different Craig Biggio cards-Less than 20 to go!!
2. Reach 220 different Derrick Brooks cards-COMPLETE!!
3. Find my gift card to Balls and Strikes..My mom brought me one for Xmas...and lost it, so she brought another one...and now I cant find it :sad:-COMPLETE!!!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I can't remember everything I wanted to do but I started out the year, if I remember correctly, at less than 4,000 different Bagwell's and I wanted to eclipse that total. I haven't updated my count yet here on the site but I'm at about 4,220 or so now. Now granted a lot of new products had him in it. But we're talking maybe 50 or so cards(parallels and inserts/autos/gu included) total. So I was still able to pick up a slew of his older cards I needed. I'm almost at 600 different gu cards, at 60+ certified pack autos, and have crossed some biggies off my list like the 98 Crusades red which completes my rainbow(yay!).

I've worked on a few sets but haven't gotten too far. Been lazy...but I plan to stick mostly to only sets and Bagwell stuff for a good while. Just wish the Bagwell stuff would slow down! It's been coming in droves!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This year, I've pretty much concentrated on picking up the rare (yet cheap) promo and samples I didn't have or even knew were produced way back when.

I've managed to pick up a bunch of those.

I did get into Beckett as a supercollector this year and that was one of my goals as well.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I've been very happy with my pickups this year. Especially since I didn't pick up collecting again until late July.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
1. Identify the last few "uncatalogued" cards from the 2010 Exquisite set.

The same five cards are still missing from most checklists.

2. Identify the Heath Bell Double Take variation from 2010 Upper Deck.

No luck on this either.

pudge27t

Aug 6, 2011
Kansas
(Speaking on FB) Well on the bright side I scored some huge cards high on the "Want List" yet the sad thing is people still think its 2006 on their prices. I understand people don't want to take that "L" though..

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
1) Reach 13,000 unique Pirates cards. Closing in on 13,500 after once I get my latest COMC shipment.
2) Add 500 new autos Only added 300, but it was quality over quantity
3) Get organized! Mission accomplished. I switched 90% of my PC over to binders, including all the Pirates organized by year/set/card number with space to add those cards I don't have
4) Add more Steelers and Penguins cards Picked up a few cards here and there, but nothing major
5) Keep up a regular posting schedule on my card blog I've had a few extended breaks as life got in the way, but still posting regularly. http://battlinbucs.blogspot.com/, if anybody would like to read it.

Overall, this year was a huge success if only because I finally feel like my collection is organized and manageable. I don't know how many times I've had to sort and resort my collection over the years for one reason or another. Now I can just flip through the pages, enjoy my collection, and easily add new cards as they come in. Plus sorting out all my duplicates will allow me to free up some space in 2015.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
My main goal was to pick up 3 new 2002 Absolute Signing Bonus's of HOF's. So far I have added 5 new HOF's and added 33 total signing bonuses to my collection.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Looks like overall we did really well with sticking to our goals. if not everyone seems happy about the way the year went anyway. That's what's important

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts