Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What happens to your collection when your significant other moves in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
My girl friend and I have been together off and on for more than 4 years. Last month I had told her that when her lease was up at her apartment that she could move in with me. Well, I should have found out when her lease was up before I told her that as her lease is up this month. So now I am scrambling to combine my baseball card room with my memorabilia room so her daughter has a room of her own. I moved my dining room table into storage and began to move my Andre Dawson cards into the dining room. These are just my double boxes. I didn't take a photo of all the cards in the dining room.

IMG_17911.JPG

All of my non Andre Dawson cards went into the kitchen.

IMG_1789.JPG

We then went to Lowes where her daughter picked out the color magic wand to paint her new room.

IMG_1781.JPG

Now onto the memorabilia room. Gone is the Andre Dawson display table.

IMG_17931.JPG

Gone is the Andre Dawson Panini National Treasures curio cabinet.

IMG_17921.JPG

Gone is the Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire book case.

IMG_17521.JPG

Gone in the Dale Earnhardt Jr die cast wall. (I took this picture after I already moved that cabinet in the way so you can't see the whole wall, but you get the idea)

IMG_1750.JPG

I also had a wall full of Andre Dawson 8x10s that I did not take a picture of and like rest of the room, that wall id gone. So what did I do with all that stuff? Well some of it is boxed up as I plan on buying four more of these curio cabinets from Ikea, but we don't even have an Ikea is Louisiana so it might be awhile until I get those. A lot of the Andre Dawson display table is now cluttered into this curio cabinet which is in my living room.

IMG_17901.JPG

A few pieces went onto this corner shelf also located in my living room which included a wood burned image from [MENTION=6235]CARDMAN[/MENTION]

IMG_17801.JPG

All of my posters, uncut sheets, and miscellaneous items went into the closet for the time being. There might be a gift for [MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] in there.

IMG_17831.JPG

Moved a little of the Dale Earnhardt Jr collection over to where the Andre Dawson display table used to be.

IMG_1756.JPG

As you can see above this shelving unit I have a large window and I bought and cut to size a piece of insulation foam board to cover the window. I am going to buy and cut to size a piece of hardboard wall panel and place in the window and then thumb tack some more of my Dale Earnhardt Jr collection on it.

IMG_17851.JPG

I went to Lowes and bought a 7 feet high by 7 feet long by 2 feet deep commercial steel shelving unit that could hold 2,000 pounds per shelf.

IMG_17912.JPG

My wood shelves going around the top of my room are lower than 7 feet so I had to cut off the top of the backs of the the side supports. Not wanting to have to cut the top of the legs on another unit, I went to SAMs and bought the same exact shelving unit except one that is 6 feet tall and 6.5 feet long. I didn't want the wire shelves to put indentions into my boxes of Andre Dawson cards and possibly damage the cards inside the boxes so I went back to Lowes and bought 4 sheets of hardboard wall panel and cut them to size of the shelves.

IMG_1761.JPG

Now I was ready to start putting my cards on the shelving units. This unit has my double boxes minus Topps on it. The boxes on the top are doubles that I still need to sort, count, and catalogue.

IMG_1787.JPG

This unit hold my non doubles, PSA cards, unopened packs, and Topps doubles.

IMG_17881.JPG

At the end of this shelving unit I transformed a book case I had full of Cubs collectibles into what will be a holding place for my odd ball sized Andre Dawson items and my supplies.

IMG_17841.JPG

I have one wall left in the room and put a shelf that used to hold some of my Dale Earnhardt Jr collectibles on this wall to put my new mail on. I also put my custom made jersey cabinet and some other memorabilia on this wall. Yes, all four the 16x20 photos are autographed differently.

IMG_17821.JPG

If you read through all of this then God Bless You lol. This is an on going project and I welcome all questions and comments. Thank You

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
[MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION] maybe this will help you out with your situation lol

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Bringing your two loves together always involves some give and take (card and significant other). At least she knew what she was getting into! Your collection is jaw dropping. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Bringing your two loves together always involves some give and take (card and significant other). At least she knew what she was getting into! Your collection is jaw dropping. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thank you for you comments. She is well aware of what she is getting into. Through out this process she has repeated you already have so much stuff and you keep buying more. Where are you going to put it? As you can see from the pics, I have room to expand the collection on the shelving units I purchased.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Thanks for sharing! Thankfully, I got married and had a kiddo well before I got "the sickness". :D My stuff is limited to my office and the garage. No matter how many times I tell my wife how EPIC an Athletics elephant mascot throw rug would be for our living room, she just doesn't seem to get it.

My only critique is ... BIGGER PICS! Your stuff is way too awesome to just show these little pics. EDIT: I just found out I can click them. Excellent!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Thanks for sharing! Thankfully, I got married and had a kiddo well before I got "the sickness". :D My stuff is limited to my office and the garage. No matter how many times I tell my wife how EPIC an Athletics elephant mascot throw rug would be for our living room, she just doesn't seem to get it.

My only critique is ... BIGGER PICS! Your stuff is way too awesome to just show these little pics. EDIT: I just found out I can click them. Excellent!

I can't believe she isn't on board with the elephant throw rug lol!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

Not a throw rug, but my aunt just made me this awesome Chicago Cubs quilt

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.JPG

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
You have a ton of awesomeness in that house. I know you have already moved things around almost to your liking, but what about the garage? I am tentatively planning on using our 3rd car garage to house my items and make into a mancave of sorts. I will insulate and drywall of course.

By the way your collection is amazing man. Congrats!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yikes man, mine all ended out in the garage. I'd think about selling off all the stuff you don't collect, and really think about moving your Dawson doubles/100s etc. I doubt you will, but it's something to consider. You could turn them into more Dawson's, but singles that take up the space. The collection is impressive, but I'd consider downsizing, as it would still be awesome, and try to get things into 1 room/space.

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
You have a ton of awesomeness in that house. I know you have already moved things around almost to your liking, but what about the garage? I am tentatively planning on using our 3rd car garage to house my items and make into a mancave of sorts. I will insulate and drywall of course.

By the way your collection is amazing man. Congrats!

Thank you for your comments. I don't have a garage. When I bought this house it did have a carport but I enclosed that and built my bedroom and bathroom, a small walk in closet, and a laundry room which was outside when I bought the house. I haven't finished all the work on it yet, but there is no garage lol. As long as you insulate and drywall then I don't see why there isn't a reason that you couldn't turn it into your man cave

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Yikes man, mine all ended out in the garage. I'd think about selling off all the stuff you don't collect, and really think about moving your Dawson doubles/100s etc. I doubt you will, but it's something to consider. You could turn them into more Dawson's, but singles that take up the space. The collection is impressive, but I'd consider downsizing, as it would still be awesome, and try to get things into 1 room/space.

Ryan

I don't have a garage, see above post. I only put my Andre Dawson cards back in the "new" room. Everything else is still in the kitchen and I plan on getting rid of 99% of that. I recently started by selling my 96 Ultra Thunderclap Gold Medallion, a small step but still a step. After I get everything finished in my Dawson room I do plan on getting everything else organized. Anything of value I will try to trade or sell and everything that is of little value then I plan on offering to members of this forum. I have no plans of getting rid of any of my Dawson doubles.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Thank you for your comments. I don't have a garage. When I bought this house it did have a carport but I enclosed that and built my bedroom and bathroom, a small walk in closet, and a laundry room which was outside when I bought the house. I haven't finished all the work on it yet, but there is no garage lol. As long as you insulate and drywall then I don't see why there isn't a reason that you couldn't turn it into your man cave

I see. Maybe you could throw one of these up in the backyard?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149795-75128-6446_1z0wg8b__?productId=3169205&pl=1

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
That is pretty neat. I am in the middle of refinancing my house. I close on it Friday and I am going to have a new roof put on it. My next project will be to tear down my small shed that I have which will make my back patio bigger and build a bigger shed. I will build a wooden shed and wrap it in vinyl siding.

Lots of work ahead for you. i want to see pics! Good luck.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Unbelievable collection:eek: you seem organized, awesome stuff, and wish you luck with the other addtition;)

Thank you very much! The organization of my collection keeps getting better and better and I hope to get it to where I want it in a reasonable time frame.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Great stuff thanks for sharing. I like your mindset that there is still room to add to the collection haha. My wife and me have a similiAr agreement, I can have as many cards as I want as long as I don't exceed the space in my office. Thankfully I still have a considerable amount of room to add new stuff ;)

congrats on the collection and the move in!

Members online

Latest posts