Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dec Night Crew- Decade Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Thanks, I had a dentist yesterday (it went well) so I've been behind on my everyday events.

Perhaps instead of alternating days we could instead divide eras, you could shill pre2000 and I could shill after. That way I will never mix up what day it is... he has gotten some good deals recently.

It's like in high school when you had "a" days and "b" days and I'd always screw it up and forget my gym clothes

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Right Said Fred Fred Porcello won't be winning any rings on the Mets. I will appreciate anyone who helped the red Sox win a world series but he's an average pitcher. He's a 4/5 that will throw 2-3 gems a year, he will keep a team in 60% of his starts and he will have 6-8 games that hes awful. As a 4/5 maybe that's good enough. The Mets will be one of those teams that until they show me they can make the playoffs I won't believe it. On paper they usually look good enough but then reality crashed down upon them.

His biggest downfall last year was leading the league in fastballs thrown %. Never be that guy. . . . especially in a juice ball year. Hopefully FF has some smarter pitching gurus around him next year.

It's like in high school when you had "a" days and "b" days and I'd always screw it up and forget my gym clothes

The only times I didn't screw it up is when I had detention on Mondays, detention on Tuesdays, etc. :lol:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Anyone suspicious that Dave's last post a month ago was....

Most of the hipsters look down on everyone else and whine when they don't get what they want. I think it's too late to kill them now.

I should be scanning Boston papers for headlines such as "Yuppiefest 2019 Ends In Carnage" or something, its not a coincidence! :)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Y’all keep saying FredFred is only a 4/5...but that’s all he was signed to be. There’s no pressure on him to be a 1 or 2, deGrom and Syndergaard have that covered, and Stroman and Matz slot in at 3-4, so between FredFred and Wacha we have a solid 5, and I assume we will see Wacha pitch out of the bullpen unless there’s an injury, or the rare 6 man rotation

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Y’all keep saying FredFred is only a 4/5...but that’s all he was signed to be. There’s no pressure on him to be a 1 or 2, deGrom and Syndergaard have that covered, and Stroman and Matz slot in at 3-4, so between FredFred and Wacha we have a solid 5, and I assume we will see Wacha pitch out of the bullpen unless there’s an injury, or the rare 6 man rotation

I love the player and I love the depth, but I just think the price is wrong. A similar age guy in James Paxton made 8mil last year after going to arbitration so that's what a 3rd party thinks of $value and Pax is much better.

If you overpay 10mil at least have a few team option years so if he catches fire you have him longer (and if not you cut bait). . . .this is kind of the shill thinking though, everyone else is only wondering of what will happen if he is too bad but I ponder what happens if he is too good! :lol:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah, you're right about that. I think most teams would love to have him as their 3, 4, or 5 starter. I just think he's a bit overrated.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm back ! Sorts of. I've been in the hospital since Nov 22. I had a intestinal blockage that required emergency surgery the next day at the Veterans hospital in Boston. I first went to Mass General Hospital in Boston. They did all the usual tests. Catscan, X-rays and blood test. They said it was a partial blockage. Mass General sent me home. The bustards' I've been thru those too, more than a few times. It's not the first time I've had a blockage like this. This surgery was #5.Not fun. Grown men do cry from pain. ! I went to the VA that same day. They admitted me and said I need surgery. After the surgery, my bowels shut down. Or went to sleep. No food for 3 weeks except by iv's.

The VA medical is so much better than it used to be. You might have heard how the VA and government treated the people coming home from Vietnam. I got the same treatment when I got out of the navy in 82. The government is giving the VA billions of dollars. Families complained about past treatment for vets.

Everyone at the VA hospital from Dr's, nurses and everyone was great. They all went out of their way to help. The pain meds were good stuff too. :rolleyes: I was nice to them and got the same back. A lot of the patients were cranky old bastards to the nurses and nursing staff. I have a nice new scar too. From just below my chest to near my weenie. :eek: It's prettier that the other surgeries. I'm not in much pain. No pain meds. The opioid epidemic is a huge deal with the VA now. Tylenol every few hours and that's it. I know all VA hospitals and clinics are not the same. Hopefully with the $ the government is putting into it will make it better.

As some of you might know about me. 2019 has not bee a good years for me or my wife. Mary passed away Sept. 25 from complications of chronic progressive multiple sclerosis. Thank you for all the kind thoughts and prayer that you've given us. Mary never ever complained. She went thru 30 years of hell. In and out of hospitals and not being able to do what she liked. She's the greatest thing.

As for my sports card collecting. I don't follow sports. :eek: Yeah, I'm strange. I started collecting around 1990. Back when We had a little more disposable income. My wife thought I was nuts. Or always did. :D At first I wasn't focused on any player or team. The around 1995 I started building Topps baseball sets, going back to 1971. And a 1967 bb set. All from buying at the Boston card shows. Then I found out there were a few baseball, football and other players and boxers with the same last name (Hogan) as me. :D Mostly vintage cards in very good or lesser condition. Some boxers or players have Hogan as their fist name. The poor bums. :p At one point, I had about 50,000 cards. Most of which I got on craigs list. Last year I gave a friends son about 30,000 cards and other sports sets and stuff as my wife used to call it. Now I have a bunch of sets and my vintage cards. The Hogan cards I pick up on Ebay. I have about 45 different ones. From 1887 Old Judge, to English cigarette brands.

I haven't done anything with my collection in about 5 years now. Not enough time or energy from worrying about Mary and myself. And working at jobs where I could take time off as needed for her. She always came 1st. It cost me a job or 2. But we did ok. We had a personal care attendant for her. They both used to pick on me !

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Good to see you back Dave. I was recently theorizing that your absence was due to scalping manbuns or setting fire to yoga studios. ;)

I've also had intestinal surgery so I can certainly sympathize. There have been times where its felt worse enough I went on a diet of mainly seeds and sprouts for almost 2 years. :( Its a shame you couldn't get massive amounts of fun opiates, I guess the only powder in D2R and Mr. Haste's stocking this Christmas is bits of coal. ;) Hopefully surgery #5 for you helps you feel better in the long run man.

PS: Hopefully your weenie scar is something cool like the one from Harry Potter, or the Zod rune from Diablo.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Welcome back Dave. I'm glad to hear the VA is better than they used to be. My dad died under the VA's care in 1983, and probably shouldn't have. I hope you continue to feel better and have no need for surgery #6. And I wish you a better 2020 than 2019.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Thanks guys. :D Sorry to hear about your dad's poor treatment. I didn't start with the VA until a few months ago. They had me on morphine in the ER. Then Dilaudid. First time on that was the 2006 surgery. That was a trip. The nurse said I was loopy. :lol:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Good to see you back Dave. I was recently theorizing that your absence was due to scalping manbuns or setting fire to yoga studios. ;)

I've also had intestinal surgery so I can certainly sympathize. There have been times where its felt worse enough I went on a diet of mainly seeds and sprouts for almost 2 years. :( Its a shame you couldn't get massive amounts of fun opiates, I guess the only powder in D2R and Mr. Haste's stocking this Christmas is bits of coal. ;) Hopefully surgery #5 for you helps you feel better in the long run man.

PS: Hopefully your weenie scar is something cool like the one from Harry Potter, or the Zod rune from Diablo.

There was only one male nurse. No man bun. A lot of cute female nurses.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
[MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION] So how many Mets jerseys of Porcello are you buying for your family? I assume this is at the top of Logan's wishlist? :)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Dave, welcome back, glad your doing better. I had a brief hospital stay in the spring, my first ever, nothing compared to what you just went through but I shared a room with a guy who treated the nursing staff like dog crap, I couldn't understand what would drive a person to do that when they are just trying to help.
Also did I read that correctly...you don't follow sports, yet you collect sports cards?? How did you start collecting something you didn't follow?

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Dave, welcome back, glad your doing better. I had a brief hospital stay in the spring, my first ever, nothing compared to what you just went through but I shared a room with a guy who treated the nursing staff like dog crap, I couldn't understand what would drive a person to do that when they are just trying to help.
Also did I read that correctly...you don't follow sports, yet you collect sports cards?? How did you start collecting something you didn't follow?

I've heard from nurses how other patients treat them like servants or worse. And I've seen some patients families do some ahole moves too. Yeah, I don't follow any sports. I don't care if the patriots win or loose. I've been to one of their games. One bruins game. One Celtics game and loads of Red Sox with the Boys Club. I had sports cards in grammar school. The nuns grabbed them when they saw them.

I just needed something easy and that didn't take up space in our very small apartment for a hobby. I had some extra $ and the ok from my wife. I got a good deal for about 15,000 cards on ebay for set building from the 70's and early 80's. I got lucky on those. They were in awesome condition. So that's how I started set building. Some trading, a little ebay. And trading on the Vintage Traders site.

I haven't done anything with my collection in about 5 years, because of the stuff my wife and I were going thru. I'm retired now. But just don't feel much if any interest in cards. I am keeping the rest of the collection I have. Some day I'll jump back into them. :D

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
[MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION] So how many Mets jerseys of Porcello are you buying for your family? I assume this is at the top of Logan's wishlist? :)

Think I’ll hold off on the FredFred jerseys for now, and yes, that’s what I’ll be calling him from here on out, it’s too good not to...

I’d say jersey wise, Jeff McNeil would top Logan’s list, I actually tried to get him a youth one from my “jersey guy” at work, but he couldn’t get it. That stems back from when we met Jeff...IMG_8410.JPG

Logan actually has a really weird knowledge of baseball based on the Mets we watch, and the minor league games we go to, especially the bobblehead giveaways we get. He knows “Big, Bad, Pete Alonso” and Matt McBride (local Lehigh Valley guy who played with the Rockies and then for the local Lehigh Valley IronPigs) and He’s prolly the only 4, almost 5, year old who consistently drops Rick Schu’s name, due to his Rick Schu bobblehead giveaway from the SWB Railriders...

If I had the money to get a jersey, which I might soon, depending on how my work fantasy football championship game plays out, pretty sure my first choice would be a Pete Alonso jersey...

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
So....am I the last person to hear about the Topps Manny Machado Tablecloth relics set?

http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2019_Topps_Now_Supplimental_Sets

I remember hearing some off-hand mention of tablecloths here and there but had no idea what the joke was. Now I know. Good god.

So this begs the question. Can anyone name a more cynical sportscard release than this?

You were probably real confused by posts 52/53 in this thread, and others. :lol:

Now you're in on the joke! :)

Members online

Latest posts