Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I was on your side till you said set it up for 2 yr members, that kinda deprives us new booty's of networking with you seasoned members, I do agree with handing out cell #'s and a post minimum, but don't single us out too much!

Hey it's nothing personal. Heck isotopes smoked us and he's been here over two years so who knows.

Bill, Musial, 200, rummy, Mac....spikes....these people will never steal from me and i don't "know" them at all. I'm not saying you newbies will but the only thing that really builds a good reputation is time IMHO

DieselTheCollected

May 24, 2013
Janesville, WI
Im new and honestly the thing i hate most is people scamming other people to be honest I dont know much about the value of cards but im always looking to learn! So if i had a card worth millions I could never know (I know i dont) but i think about how happy I am when i open up a pack and I get a cool card I just dont get how you can take that away from someone. I guess for me this hobby is because i love the sports its really not about the money

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Since being a member of FCB, and dealing with you guys, I have learned quite a bit about this hobby. I mean, I can google till I turn blue, but nothing beats meeting collectors just like me and maybe more intense collectors.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
What good does cell numbers provide?
Are you going to send him continuous voicemails and texts? I understand the deposit puts a downer on things, but why would you not do that? At least you have something to show for it if someone makes off with the box, that's more than what you have now with douchytopes making off with it. I wasn't even involved in the first box and I am pissed for you guys. You have to have something in place for the next one, going off ones word is obviously not good enough anymore. Same thing happened on the BMB, there was a real nice box going around and someone stole it too.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Post count means nothing. I can come on here and say "thanks" and "great pick-up" until my face turns blue, just to get my post count up. I think a lot of us know who the "good guys" are and who and have been around since the old Beckett days and are reliable. You leave it to those guys and you should be ok. Or make everyone put $50 worth of stuff into the box to begin with. You don't provide your stuff, you don't get the box.

EDIT: Let me also add that regarding post count and why it means nothing, I have may not have the post count that many others do, but I also like to thing that I provide quality posts when I do post, and I have been around long enough that many of you guys know me enough that I would be reliable. I know these things are tough, but it's about finding the reliable members that we all know to keep it going.

Last edited:

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
What good does cell numbers provide?

It's a line of defense that is reasonable. I can paypal $50 or a $100 no problem but not everyone can. Having a cell number is a tactical advantage if something goes array as I assume most people are like me and it's your only number. Something tells me if we had isotopes cell number, that box would be at Bill's house right now.

Is it surefire? Nope, nothing is, not even a "deposit" But it's the best idea to comfort everyone without forcing people to send paypal as a deposit.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Post count means nothing.

It doesn't mean nothing.

It also doesn't mean everything as I already pointed out.....but it does count for something. There are many great members with low post counts and examples the other way around. You get to "know" people one way or the other. Point is, you with a low post count, we know. I guy whose been here for three months and lacks the posts and contributions should wait till they have a little more time in the community under their belts.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I just don't get it honestly, I was 4th or 5th in the order and I don't know what was all added in and taken out after me but stealing this box doesn't make much since to me because in all honesty I don't think there was a whole lot of sale value in the box. Its not like it was stuffed full of high end cards and to me that's the sad part. someone was willing to steal this box and screw it up not only for everyone in the first round of this but for the rest of the way forward.

maybe it will still show up at Bill's

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
now I'm really glad you took out and shipped my packages to people separately [MENTION=2209]200lbhockeyplayer[/MENTION]

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
It doesn't mean nothing.

It also doesn't mean everything as I already pointed out.....but it does count for something. There are many great members with low post counts and examples the other way around. You get to "know" people one way or the other. Point is, you with a low post count, we know. I guy whose been here for three months and lacks the posts and contributions should wait till they have a little more time in the community under their belts.

But that's my post. You limit to someone with 2 years and 3000 posts, I don't qualify. You can start making exceptions, but that then defeats the purpose of setting the limitations based on years and post count. Ultimately it comes down to reputation and that's where you need to draw the line of who gets involved in these things. Maybe people vouched for this guy that appears to have kept the box, I don't know, but reputation is what it's about.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Not sure where you got 3000 posts from? :confused::confused::confused::confused: I was simply offering a requirement of longtime standing (which you apply) or community involvement which that number has never been established (which you may or may not apply anyway)

In any case, I'm not in charge of any policy and it's up to the team at large here and Bill is our quarterback. I'll follow his play calling and I assume the rest will, too. I was just tossing out ideas.

DieselTheCollected

May 24, 2013
Janesville, WI
Honestly this was a really cool idea it literally made everyone happy who got the box people were putting stuff in for specific member the whole thing was just awesome sad it had to ruined

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION] - I'm with you, although not 100% bullet proof, years on the board and post count at least help gauge a member and their potential ability to participate and not run off with the damn box. As you already said, Bill is the quarterback and we'll see what direction he wants to go, etc.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Guys, let's move on. If anyone has suggestions about where to go with filing charges/complaints/etc on the first go round, PM me. I'd appreciate them and we can do what we can.

I've encouraged a few people to set up the next box, but have not heard anything about anyone moving it any further. I cannot assemble another box on my own as I was wiped out by isotopes4. I put a lot of the lower end stuff I had in the box to get it started and was just excited to see what would come back to me in the end. I got a great package from Jeff which was forwarded onto me from 200lb. That was greatly appreciated at this point, as it appears to be all I will get back from the adventure!

I can, however, come up with a few items that I could pack in the box if others wanted to add to it as well. I know this is a more expensive approach for all involved, as you would be sending me stuff to pack in the box to get it going, but I'm okay with it if others are as well. We can do two boxes if people prefer - one for those who want to pay a $50 deposit to participate and one for those who don't. Just let me know what box you want to be in (or both). Both boxes will be a hodge-podge of items, just like the first one was, so you can feel free to send me whatever.

I'm willing to assemble both and get them out and about and I'll participate in both. I'll also hold the deposits. I'll put a cap at 10 people per box. Once the box passes you and the next person on the list confirms that they got the box, I'll release your $50 back to you.

I will require verified cell #'s for all of you. I'll admit, I'd like to meet you all, but I also don't want to spend a lot of time on the phone with 19 of you shooting the breeze about cards. I do like to talk about them, but really, I just don't have an extra 19 hours to spare on the phone right now and when I get talking about cards with people over the phone, the conversations tend to be long winded! LOL. So I will call to confirm the number, say hello and chat for a couple minutes about the box and what we are doing, but that is about it. I hope that doesn't sound rude! In fact, to save me some time, if any of you are repeat participants in this round, I'm not even going to call you b/c I already trust you based on previous dealings, but please send me your number anyway just in case!

For the newer guys, I'll open this up to them as well, but you will have to be in the deposit paid group. Rules from post 1 will apply. If you don't meet them, you are in the deposit paid group automatically.

What to send: Send me cards that you think others will like. I'll get a list from all involved FIRST as to what they collect and then, please, as best you can, tailor what you send to the preferences for each person, as well as anything else you'd like to add in (we can't be perfect on this and when the box comes, trust me, you'll find stuff in there you want that you didn't think you would!).

I've got some autos, game used, memorabilia and some other cards I'll throw in, including refractors, prospect rookies, etc.

This was long winded, but let's get the lists together of participants. Please see post 1 and send me the info requested in there so I can get the groupings together! I will try to get everything for each group in a medium flat rate box. If I cannot, I may go up to a large, so please, have $20 available in paypal to keep the boxes moving along once they get to you. I don't want shipping delays. We did so well with the first round, moving it through 9 people in just a hair over a month. That part of the experience was great! Remember, everyone else is just as excited to get it and go through it as you are.

Thank you.
Bill

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I had this exact same reaction. Though I then realized I have no idea what was added after I loaded it up, so who knows! I agree though, the sale value of the box was probably not that great, though the "book value" was probably through the roof! Ha - useless book. Stealing this just made no sense at all. I'd equate it to stealing a 3 pack of underwear that are two sizes too large for you from Walmart. LOL

I guess I still can't get over the douchery involved to take the cards and can't believe someone did it, but it really does appear that way at this time.

I just don't get it honestly, I was 4th or 5th in the order and I don't know what was all added in and taken out after me but stealing this box doesn't make much since to me because in all honesty I don't think there was a whole lot of sale value in the box. Its not like it was stuffed full of high end cards and to me that's the sad part. someone was willing to steal this box and screw it up not only for everyone in the first round of this but for the rest of the way forward.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I will get you some cards to add early next week Bill. Not sure if i will participate in the round, but I can send a few that others might want.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Ill try to round up some stuff for the next box too. Ill let others fill this round up and ill be watching from the sidelines.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010

Yeah I was thinking the same as I don't think that there was much in the box that could be moved quickly or easily. I mean if you took it to a hobby shop I don't think they would even have bought the box. Maybe you could pull a few hundred cards and send them to COMC but isn't that going to cost $$$ up front so that kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe the box still shows up. If anyone needs photo's of what was in the box I did post those when I had the box. If you need me to e-mail those to you I think I still have them. I think with something like this you just have to trust people and if you get burned you get burned. I did think it was a neat way to improve involvement in the community, show who the good and bad members are and heck even this thread has provided weeks of entertainment value so it wasn't a total loss. Bill I would be happy to send you some cards to get the box going, but I think I'll sit this one out and let others partipate. Sorry the last one didn't work out better.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I've been rethinking this concept of people sending me cards to get the box started. Here are a few questions to ponder and I appreciate input:

1) What is the point? If you are sending me cards and then I am sending the box around to all participants, aren't all participants then just pulling stuff out of the box until it is empty? In that case, there might not even be anything left to send around after the first 4 or members receive it. You guys would have to a) send me cards to start the box and then b) add to the box after you take out what you want so that there is equal (more or less) amount of cards in the box for everyone to pick/choose from.

2) What happens with the cards that come back to me in the end? I'm only putting in so much to start the box since all of you are sending me stuff. So when I get the box back at the end, what do I do with all the cards that are in it? If there is a bunch of stuff I don't want, I'm not going to divide it out amongst 9 other people and send it all back in equal amounts. That could easily cost me $50+ in postage.

I think it works when one guy takes a bunch from his own inventory of cards, which don't mean anything to him personally, and sends that around and then, whatever comes back is his to do as he pleases with. I'll be honest, there wasn't anything in that box that I wouldn't have been happy to just give away on the free to a good home thread. In fact, I probably offered about 50% of what I put in the box in the free to a good home thread before I even put the box together. None of it was "personal collection" type stuff, but I was HOPING that what came back in the end would be. That was the point.

That all said - please note, I'm looking for feedback on these questions and ideas, so please, don't think I'm dispelling the idea of group assisted start up. I just want to be clear on how we are going to make it fair for all involved if we do this.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Oh - and because I needed a good laugh - I looked back at isotopes4's (Mike Useted) list of stuff he was interested in for the box:
Carl Crawford, Stan Musial, Frank Thomas, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Ozzie Smith, Old Time Yanks, Yankees, Cardinals, "Anything that catches his eye."

So I guess everything in the box "caught his eye." Therefore, there was no way it could travel any further b/c it was empty :)

Members online

Latest posts