Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Hello all! Started collecting recently and accidentally stumbled upon this forum. A nice discovery as this seems like a great community with tons of knowledge and good people.

Currently I do not have a collecting focus and just enjoy collecting autographs of my favorite players and unique cards that appeal to me. However I am debating starting a player collection or attempting to compete rainbows or cool sets. I would like to start making custom cards of my younger family members for them as well as ones for myself when I was younger as like all collectors I would love a card of myself. I would also like to start doing TTM autographs. Have no experience and am completely clueless on either of those things so any help that could get me started with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I am looking forward buying, selling, trading and more importantly, getting to know you all!

Like everyone else already beat into the ground...WELCOME! What are some of your favorite players and what are some of those "unique cards that appeal to you"?

Also, I'd like to call dibs on anything you might have that's listed in my signature block :D

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008

I'm thinking she's referring to the Belle and Dukes of Hazard booklets of which I had nothing to do with. Those were built by @GUCD231 and designed by someone else. I haven't posted any customs in quite some time but there are a few that are "WFT?" worthy in bad-assed-ness. That said, ever since that [MENTION=1953]Musial Collector[/MENTION] jerk took the Cuddyer booklet just over a year ago, I've felt empty.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/111055-bat-ball=one-thick-custom-booklet-style.html

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
Like everyone else already beat into the ground...WELCOME! What are some of your favorite players and what are some of those "unique cards that appeal to you"?

Also, I'd like to call dibs on anything you might have that's listed in my signature block :D

Love your signature although unfortunately I don't have any of the cards you are looking for but if I come across anything I'll definitely have you in mind.

I'm from New Jersey so I am a huge Yankee fan and enjoy collecting autographs of past and present Yankees. ALMOST anybody who has worn pinstripes I'm a fan of (I'm talking to you A-Roid). Certain players I collect more than others because of the way they play the game and the stories behind their careers. The Yankees I especially enjoy collecting are Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, and Michael Pineda. Outside the Yankee organization I like Joe Mauer, Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, and Roberto Clemente. Obviously that's a lot of players and most of them are bigger names which is why I only try to collect an autograph of each although I'm always open to getting a nicer card to upgrade the one I have. However my favorite players are not Yankees. They are Johnny Vander Meer (local, known for his back to back no hitters), Shooter Hunt (local, unfortunately had control problems so he never got past the minors, had his dad for my high school baseball coach), and James Ramsey (a great young man in the Cardinals farm System). If you have any nice cards of them I'd be happy to take them off your hands!

Some of the "unique" cards I collect are autographed cards inscribed with a Bible verse. I think its cool that the players include that personal touch. Most players don't inscribe the verse when signing a topps, leaf, etc. cards which is what makes collecting them fun and difficult. I know James Ramsey, Josh Hamilton, Andy Pettitte, and a couple others have but I'm sure there are more athletes who have as well so if anyone discovers any other athlete who has I'd love to know about it. I also know that some athletes have inscribed them when doing IP or TTM signings (Bryce Harper, Mark Appel, Daniel Murphy) but if anyone has more information on others who have as well I'd also love to know about it. And if anyone has any cards inscribed with a Bible verse I'd love to take them off your hands!

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
I'm thinking she's referring to the Belle and Dukes of Hazard booklets of which I had nothing to do with. Those were built by @GUCD231 and designed by someone else. I haven't posted any customs in quite some time but there are a few that are "WFT?" worthy in bad-assed-ness. That said, ever since that @Musial Collector jerk took the Cuddyer booklet just over a year ago, I've felt empty.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/111055-bat-ball%3Done-thick-custom-booklet-style.html

Those are both beautiful cards. I'm not interested in doing anything that fancy... yet. First I'd just like to make a simple base card. However I also attend a lot of autograph signings and events and meet a lot of players so it would be cool to be able to make a custom card to have them sign. I love the design of the 2012 Topps Tier One Crowd Pleasers White Ink and Bowman Black. The white or silver ink on the black surface looks beautiful. I actually still have all of my baseball equipment so it would be cool to make a batting glove card or a bat knob card or something. So any help, recommendations, or instructions that you are willing to give me to get me started would be great!

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
welcome! (I wont hold it against you for being a Yankees fan lol) Jersey here too! You collecting will change all over until you find a spot to stay at. happens to everyone starting up. Good luck finding what you need...

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
welcome! (I wont hold it against you for being a Yankees fan lol) Jersey here too! You collecting will change all over until you find a spot to stay at. happens to everyone starting up. Good luck finding what you need...

Fellow jersey guy, cool! Any good shows or hobby shops u go to? Unfortunately I haven't found much yet.

As for a collecting focus their are so many cool things about the hobby it's hard to pick something to focus on but I'm sure I'll find the perfect thing eventually. For now I'm enjoying a little bit of everything!

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Fellow jersey guy, cool! Any good shows or hobby shops u go to? Unfortunately I haven't found much yet.

As for a collecting focus their are so many cool things about the hobby it's hard to pick something to focus on but I'm sure I'll find the perfect thing eventually. For now I'm enjoying a little bit of everything!

There really havent been to many shows around latly. (or good ones at that) I assume your north Jersey? Im south (well almost mid). I do get to alot of signings here:
Poppel.com |

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
There really havent been to many shows around latly. (or good ones at that) I assume your north Jersey? Im south (well almost mid). I do get to alot of signings here:
Poppel.com |

Yes I'm north jersey and there aren't many good shows up here either. However I am fortunate to have an excellent hobby shop nearby. The show u recommended seems like a good show however not sure if the trip is worth it. But I'll probably stop by one of them to check it out. Love IP signing so it could be fun.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Hello all! Started collecting recently and accidentally stumbled upon this forum. A nice discovery as this seems like a great community with tons of knowledge and good people.

Currently I do not have a collecting focus and just enjoy collecting autographs of my favorite players and unique cards that appeal to me. However I am debating starting a player collection or attempting to compete rainbows or cool sets. I would like to start making custom cards of my younger family members for them as well as ones for myself when I was younger as like all collectors I would love a card of myself. I would also like to start doing TTM autographs. Have no experience and am completely clueless on either of those things so any help that could get me started with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I am looking forward buying, selling, trading and more importantly, getting to know you all!

Welcome, there are a lot of player collectors on here, and some really cool guys.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Love your signature although unfortunately I don't have any of the cards you are looking for but if I come across anything I'll definitely have you in mind.

I'm from New Jersey so I am a huge Yankee fan and enjoy collecting autographs of past and present Yankees. ALMOST anybody who has worn pinstripes I'm a fan of (I'm talking to you A-Roid). Certain players I collect more than others because of the way they play the game and the stories behind their careers. The Yankees I especially enjoy collecting are Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, and Michael Pineda. Outside the Yankee organization I like Joe Mauer, Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, and Roberto Clemente. Obviously that's a lot of players and most of them are bigger names which is why I only try to collect an autograph of each although I'm always open to getting a nicer card to upgrade the one I have. However my favorite players are not Yankees. They are Johnny Vander Meer (local, known for his back to back no hitters), Shooter Hunt (local, unfortunately had control problems so he never got past the minors, had his dad for my high school baseball coach), and James Ramsey (a great young man in the Cardinals farm System). If you have any nice cards of them I'd be happy to take them off your hands!

Some of the "unique" cards I collect are autographed cards inscribed with a Bible verse. I think its cool that the players include that personal touch. Most players don't inscribe the verse when signing a topps, leaf, etc. cards which is what makes collecting them fun and difficult. I know James Ramsey, Josh Hamilton, Andy Pettitte, and a couple others have but I'm sure there are more athletes who have as well so if anyone discovers any other athlete who has I'd love to know about it. I also know that some athletes have inscribed them when doing IP or TTM signings (Bryce Harper, Mark Appel, Daniel Murphy) but if anyone has more information on others who have as well I'd also love to know about it. And if anyone has any cards inscribed with a Bible verse I'd love to take them off your hands!

Wow! That's a lot of names you just threw out there. If you DO decide to start a player collection, good luck narrowing it down. I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with just two guys plus the 2008 Masterpieces stuff.

As for the players inscribing Bible verses...it's definitely a very unique and very cool idea, but like you said it's more rare than one might think. I used to get IP autos back in the day at old Milwaukee County Stadium when players had to walk past the fans to get to the player parking lot. I must've gotten at least 100 autos over the years and the only player who ever inscribed a Bible verse was Scott Fletcher. Here it is:

Scott Fletcher.jpg Scott Fletcher_0001.jpg Scott Fletcher_0003.jpg

It's hard to tell, but it's inscribed John 3:16 in the bottom right. I remember the other kids were asking what that meant and he told them to look it up sometime. I actually knew it by heart because I used to be really involved in the faith, and I recited it to the other kids. Fletcher looked at me, winked, and then smiled. I'm not really looking to part with this one, but I'm sure you can find his mailing address on a website somewhere. If you were to include a letter asking him to inscribe his favorite Bible verse, I'm sure he would be kind enough to oblige.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

Also, I'm not a fellow Jersey guy but I was in the Mahwah area a few months ago and hit up a nice little LCS called simply "The Baseball Card Store" in Midland Park. It's not the largest shop but it was pretty busy and everyone was super friendly. The guy running the place cut me a pretty good deal on a couple boxes and a bunch of packs. I'm not sure if you're in that area, but if you are and haven't checked it out yet, just thought I'd throw it out there for you.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Welcome aboard. There is a Through The Mail and In Person Autograph forum to check out here, if you haven't already found it. I'm a big Yankee autograph collector, with most of mine coming TTM. I'm currently at 477 different players. Don't hesitate to ask questions here, on the autographs forum or through a private message.
DANNY

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
Wow! That's a lot of names you just threw out there. If you DO decide to start a player collection, good luck narrowing it down. I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with just two guys plus the 2008 Masterpieces stuff.

As for the players inscribing Bible verses...it's definitely a very unique and very cool idea, but like you said it's more rare than one might think. I used to get IP autos back in the day at old Milwaukee County Stadium when players had to walk past the fans to get to the player parking lot. I must've gotten at least 100 autos over the years and the only player who ever inscribed a Bible verse was Scott Fletcher. Here it is:

View attachment 20940 View attachment 20941 View attachment 20942

It's hard to tell, but it's inscribed John 3:16 in the bottom right. I remember the other kids were asking what that meant and he told them to look it up sometime. I actually knew it by heart because I used to be really involved in the faith, and I recited it to the other kids. Fletcher looked at me, winked, and then smiled. I'm not really looking to part with this one, but I'm sure you can find his mailing address on a website somewhere. If you were to include a letter asking him to inscribe his favorite Bible verse, I'm sure he would be kind enough to oblige.

That's why I'm torn on starting a player collection, so many guys to choose from. However if I did choose one it would probably be either James Ramsey, Shooter Hunt, or Johnny Vander Meer but it would be difficult to collect any of them because there is already a James Ramsey player collector who not only has one of every card, parallel, etc. but collects all the different inscriptions as auto variations. His name is 85gocards on Blowout. Here is a link to his collection, I find it quite impressive. My James Ramsey Collection So Far - With Scans - Blowout Cards Forums As for Shooter Hunt and Johnny Vander Meer, Shooter doesn't have any cards anymore and most of his cards don't pop up and Johnny Vander Meer doesn't have many cards anymore either. But as for now I'm satisfied with collecting the autographs with Bible inscriptions.

That's a cool story behind the Scott Fletcher autograph. It's a shame its difficult to read the inscription. I will definitely be writing to him!

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
Also, I'm not a fellow Jersey guy but I was in the Mahwah area a few months ago and hit up a nice little LCS called simply "The Baseball Card Store" in Midland Park. It's not the largest shop but it was pretty busy and everyone was super friendly. The guy running the place cut me a pretty good deal on a couple boxes and a bunch of packs. I'm not sure if you're in that area, but if you are and haven't checked it out yet, just thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Haven't found much yet but I do know of this shop! Used to go their almost every weekend when I was younger and I've started making frequent trips again. It's a small but great store and as a regular the guy always cuts me some deal too. Love going there even if there is nothing I need! Mike and Dave (the guy's who run the place) are great guys and a lot of fun.