Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~~~To Cut or Not to Cut??????????--Jim Thorpe Autograph~~~

Cut or Not

• Cut

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dont think about it

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
So I speared a Whale for my Baseball Autograph collection, while these can be had I just could not see paying the going rate for one. This item fell into my lap so based on price I just could not pass it up......however, it is bulky and I am not sure it is ideal. It is on a 1951 Air Force football program (@69MetsFan) which holds little to no value, no me. The seller provided me with the back story as to how he met Jim and when it was signed, again does that really matter to me or another owner down the line?

So the question, do I cut it, send it back to PSA/DNA to be slabbed or off to [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] for Executive Cut treatment or do I just leave it as is.

scan0001_zpsa0609cd1.jpg

scan0002_zps4909d5ca.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I would probably leave it as is simply because it can display as a "complete" item when framed.

You can always cut it down in the future, but you can't ever get it back complete once it's cut.

All of that said...great pick-up and a cool, clean signature with a nice date inscription.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Very nice George!

I would keep it as is simply because I despise the way cut autos look when there is color/designs/pictures behind the sig.

As a whole piece it looks great, but I don't think it would as a cut.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Would keep as is, if you find something down the road that is more appealing to you, move this one. But if you get that cut there would be too many backgrounds IMO to look clean

Ryan

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Not a chance I'd cut that up if that was in my collection. Congrats!

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I am going to have to go with the Do Not Cut group. The full piece looks nice and it would display well in a larger frame. It would also give you the option to show it off better in a frame whole, as most slabbed items usually go into a box or a safe or something else.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Outstanding piece George! I think it is up to where you want it in your collection as to cut or not. Knowing you have a Ruth and Dean cut and slabbed, I would personally get it cut and slabbed as well. I would also be choosy on what year to use Leaf's service depending on what the border looked like for each year. Might also look great in a blue PSA slab to match your Ruth and Dean as well :)

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I would not cut it. Had it been an obvious cut, like a scrap of paper or something not considered memorabilia, then I would cut it. I think the program looks very cool and should certainly hold value (and it will appeal to football collectors if you ever sell it).

Congrats on the pick-up.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
It's a wonderful piece and it will display beautifully. I wouldn't dream of cutting it.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
wow! Great price!

I almost turned myself into the police. Seller initially listed it as auction w/reserve and it stopped at this price. I assume the price stayed low due to the display aspect. Again, when compared to cuts and other signed pieces this was a DEAL.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I guess I'm torn on this one. While the program looks great and would display nicely, is this piece for a baseball collection or football collection? One suggestion I have is make a cut card from it, but possible have somebody, such as our own [MENTION=2209]200lbhockeyplayer[/MENTION] make a custom card for it, then send it off to be slabbed by PSA

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Love it as it is, George. If you ever decide to move it, let me know, as I was born in 1951!
DANNY

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
My vote is to give it to [MENTION=2209]200lbhockeyplayer[/MENTION] to make you a nice cut and then get it PSA or JSA slabbed.

Members online