Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Reporting That This is Jeter's Last Season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
He's not humble? Or he's doing a farewell tour?
He announced it's his final season, like just about every other star has done.

He's not asking for a farewell tour, or for praise to be heaped on him at every stop.
That's the media, MLB and the teams that do that farewell tour, pre-game ceremony stuff.

Jeter is the face of baseball, and he deserves recognition for his Hall of Fame career. Just like Ripken, Ryan, Rivera and even Chipper got.
Comparing Jeter and his popularity to Todd Helton is ridiculous.

His millions of fans will sell out stadiums to see Jeter for the final time, not because Jeter asked them to, but because he's one of the game's only active legends

Amazing the egos of Yankee apologists!

I don't think he's humble - announces his retirement just as I suggested in order to set up the farewell tour and the money grab with all the Steiner collectibles and private signings all season. He certainly won't turn down the farewell tour festivities. If he was humble, he'd announce his retirement in early September such that the only farewell hoopla would be from yankees fans and there would be enough time to sell out Yankee Stadium for his final regular season home games in late September.

Not comparing Jeets to Helton in popularity, just in humbless and class. Helton announced late in the season so there wasn't major season-long hoopla and he got his love fest from the Rockies fans.

Funny how you and Super Mario say Jeets will sell out stadiums wherever he goes in 2014. I can't wait to see how many Yankees home games are not sellouts, especially games against the Royals and Astros early in the week or how many non-sellouts there will be in April beyond the first homestand of the season. I suppose you and Super Mario will have big heads and say Jeter's final Fenway Park game will be a sellout because of jeter. It will be a sellout, not because of Jeter but because that's how Boston rolls!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amazing the egos of Yankee apologists!

I don't think he's humble - announces his retirement just as I suggested in order to set up the farewell tour and the money grab with all the Steiner collectibles and private signings all season. He certainly won't turn down the farewell tour festivities. If he was humble, he'd announce his retirement in early September such that the only farewell hoopla would be from yankees fans and there would be enough time to sell out Yankee Stadium for his final regular season home games in late September.

Not comparing Jeets to Helton in popularity, just in humbless and class. Helton announced late in the season so there wasn't major season-long hoopla and he got his love fest from the Rockies fans.

Funny how you and Super Mario say Jeets will sell out stadiums wherever he goes in 2014. I can't wait to see how many Yankees home games are not sellouts, especially games against the Royals and Astros early in the week or how many non-sellouts there will be in April beyond the first homestand of the season. I suppose you and Super Mario will have big heads and say Jeter's final Fenway Park game will be a sellout because of jeter. It will be a sellout, not because of Jeter but because that's how Boston rolls!
Such bitterness.
And where did either Sam or I write that Jeter would sell out games wherever he goes, including games in April?

You rant about how Jeter lacks class and is not humble because he announced his retirement before the season.
So does almost every other huge star.

Do you think Cal Ripken and Mariano Rivera and Nolan Ryan also lacked class because they announced their retirements early and every team held ceremonies for them, just like Jeter?

And educate yourself before you call me a Yankee apologist again. I'm a Rangers and Dodgers fan first. I like the Yankees because my Dad grew up one, but I'm far from a Yankee apologist.

Last edited:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Not hate, I think, but envy.
DANNY

+1

de5d48c170679ec8bf9955bf71014d70_zps2a1aff28.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
And where did either Sam or I write that Jeter would sell out games wherever he goes, including games in April?

From this thread:
[MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] "His millions of fans will sell out stadiums to see Jeter for the final time, not because Jeter asked them to, but because he's one of the game's only active legends..."
[MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION] "Can't see Todd Helton selling out Busch Stadium or Wrigley Field. Derek Jeter would."

didn't say it directly but it's what is being said between the lines. If his millions of fans will sell out stadiums to see Jeter for the last time or he'll sell out Busch Stadium or Wrigley Field, it's practically being said Jeter will sell out every stadium for his "milions of fans" to watch him in 2014.

Do you think Cal Ripken and Mariano Rivera and Nolan Ryan also lacked class because they announced their retirements early and every team held ceremonies for them, just like Jeter?

Only Mariano Rivera got a farewell tour of the three mentioned. This new fad of doing things in the baseball, the Farewell Tour, bugs me. When Chipper had his, I thought good marketing by the Braves. When Mariano had his, it was another marketing scheme. Now when Jeter (and whoever else in the future) has his, it's just overkill because baseball fans have endured two seasons' of circus atmosphere. And, it's not like they (Jones, Rivera and Jeter this season) are being humble telling every team or the league to scale things back so the attention is on the game. I think the only circus or hoopla for an athlete announcing his retirement pre-season should be home opener, All-Star Game, and final homestand/final home game. Get the love from MLB at the ASG, get the love from his team as the season opens and ends.

I wish with all my might, but don't see, the circus farewell tour going away anytime soon. It's probably the way the MLB clubs are going to increase their revenues -- from premiums to the face value of tickets and souvenir sales -- outside of the rising tv revenue money they get.

Members online