Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Im really not interested in selling. Maybe at some point but too much going on now helping with My Dad in Baltimore as he was injured badly in car accident back in late July near his home in Fredericsburg and has gone from being an independent intelligent 84 year old man who drove to the mall to walk a couple miles every day, still mowed his own lawn and took care of himself was to someone who has been recovering from multiple traumatic injuries, lost 45 pounds, cant remember much from his past life, and just moved from Johns Hopkins ICU a few months ago to assisted living. Im going to take care of some of his personal affairs so BB cards are a very very low priority so will be taking a break for a few months. Treasure each day of your lives.
Togaman, hope everything goes smoothly with your dad! Definitely does not sound easy, in every sense!

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
My favorite part of the entire thread is watching someone here get anonymously bullied (he wouldn't name names) because they supposedly outbid him for a Ken Griffey TEK card pattern 1 (final Ebay auction price a whole $3.50), but then on the otherhand publicly mocking, shaming and chastising Chris19978 because he doesn't want to pay more than $8.00 for any of the Jeter cards he collects. The hypocrisy is unbelievable. I haven't commented in weeks, but it just spirals out of control as everyone watches, walking on eggshells hoping he doesn't burst, and then boom. Yelling at Andy for saying thanks? I took Andy's comment as nothing but sincere.

Jun 30, 2010
I think it is important to keep things in perspective from ALL sides since this thread keeps getting derailed and into a pissing contest.

The objective of the thread is to HELP other Tek collectors in addition to Carl obtaining his objective to complete the Teks he is looking for.
If you are helping others and feel like you are getting NOTHING in return then just stop helping them!!!! Stop complaining about them.
Everyone has a different perspective about what kind of value for the cards they are collecting and are entitled to their beliefs without being belittled.
Continually derailing the thread into personal attacks adds NO value.

Just because Carl has the extra card(s) you want, you are not entitled to it. He has stated that he is willing to trade it to you if you can help him in return. Unfortunately, some folks don't like this but Carl has been upfront about it. Just accept and move on...

Carl is also not entitled to others cards just because he wants them.( If they choose to hold onto them he needs to accept that as well). In a perfect world when we help others reciprocation in kind happens but not always.

Finally, when someone is willing to pay more than you for the cards they want( Rinkrat as an example), that person needs to be applauded for keeping this great set alive instead of belittled or accused of a conspiracy theory to keep YOU from getting what you feel is YOUR card.

Just my another 2 cents>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Christ can we get this thread back on track please. Feel like I'm reading a freaking chat thread on CNN or something. Let's get back to TEK cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yep. He's down to needing 42 cards to finish his 8100 card set. Maybe there aren't many Belle pattern #2 cards around. Makes you wonder if all Tek base cards were produced equally. Or maybe there are a lot of Belle collectors out there.

Well I guess I'll be waiting longer for it. Odds are he will find it first or be more aggressive with me on $, so I now know to be super patient. I'll get one in the next 20 years ;)

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Well I guess I'll be waiting longer for it. Odds are he will find it first or be more aggressive with me on $, so I now know to be super patient. I'll get one in the next 20 years ;)
I needed pattern 81 to complete my first set of O'neill. After about 15 years I found that pattern. During the same year while working on my second set I acquired two more 81's from trades, lots, etc. and even saw one on eBay that someone bought for the opening bid. So never seeing one in 15 years to obtaining or seeing 4 it brings hope to your search. I'm now two away from my second set and patterns 14 and 90 are my new nemeses.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I needed pattern 81 to complete my first set of O'neill. After about 15 years I found that pattern. During the same year while working on my second set I acquired two more 81's from trades, lots, etc. and even saw one on eBay that someone bought for the opening bid. So never seeing one in 15 years to obtaining or seeing 4 it brings hope to your search. I'm now two away from my second set and patterns 14 and 90 are my new nemeses.
Yea, I am not worried about it. Part of me would rather a master set collector get it anyways before me. I know it rains when it pours, so I'm sure multiple will come up and then we will both be good. That seems to happen with me and Belle cards. Been looking for the Belle Grande Finale from the '90s and never ever saw one and then all the sudden I locate one and not only is there one on eBay right now away but then another sold a week ago... three in less than a month.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Really need patterns # 1 ,47,53,54 ,61,62,65,69,71,72,80,83,84,86,87,89 & 90 for my Bernie set. 74/90

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
so the other day I was cleaning up some Tek base when I ran into a Jeter that had a cloudy effect on the card. Not unusual. I usually just do some heavy breathing (on the card!) and gently but firmly wipe clean with a tissue. Works pretty well. For some reason this card wasn't coming clean and it wasn't even smearing as though I were making progress. So I tried washing it with warm water and soap - it turned out GREAT. Now the card looks fantastic. Try it sometime!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
so the other day I was cleaning up some Tek base when I ran into a Jeter that had a cloudy effect on the card. Not unusual. I usually just do some heavy breathing (on the card!) and gently but firmly wipe clean with a tissue. Works pretty well. For some reason this card wasn't coming clean and it wasn't even smearing as though I were making progress. So I tried washing it with warm water and soap - it turned out GREAT. Now the card looks fantastic. Try it sometime!

That's really cool! I'll have to try it sometime. Maybe it will wash off some of the spots too, lol. I use warm water without the soap on any old coins I find and wipe with a dry wash cloth. Works good.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yea, I am not worried about it. Part of me would rather a master set collector get it anyways before me. I know it rains when it pours, so I'm sure multiple will come up and then we will both be good. That seems to happen with me and Belle cards. Been looking for the Belle Grande Finale from the '90s and never ever saw one and then all the sudden I locate one and not only is there one on eBay right now away but then another sold a week ago... three in less than a month.

Yea, that's really weird hows cards with the same pattern numbers show up right after you find one you've been looking a long time for. 15 more years and you'll find 3 Belle #2 patterns.;)

Members online

Latest posts