Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking to Build A Game Used/Auto Box O Goodies - Any Interest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Hello All -

New box composed of strictly game used and autograph cards has been born! It weighs in at 8 lbs 11 ounces and on its way to Ashburn Alley for the first viewing!

As it travels around and gets to you, please take whatever you'd like out of it, add more cards to improve content, and then send to the next person.

Your job as a participant is simple:
1) Take what you want from the box. I want to be clear on this - there is no "requirement" that you have to collect something to take it from the box. Maybe you see something you want to sit on for an investment, or something for a friend or fellow board member you want to send along, or something that just catches your eye and you want to keep it around the house to admire it for a while. I don't care, so long as you are improving the box contents along the way and thinking of the people coming after you who are still to go through it (so don't be a dink and take a Jay Bruce 2005 Bowman Sterling Game Used Auto RC Red 1/1 from the box when you know it's the main collecting interest of fordman and he hasn't seen the box yet! Sorry Mick - I don't think this card will be in there and that was probably a mean example, but hey, you never know!)
2) Add content to the box that makes the box BETTER than it was when it got to you. Don't take good stuff and replace it with lesser items!!!!
3) Try to think of those coming after you when you fill the box and include what you can that you think they will like (see list below of interests).

RULES:
1) Be timely! Don't keep the box for more than 48 hours in your possession. That should be PLENTY of time to go through and pull stuff out. Think ahead and have what you are going to add to the box ready to go before you even get it. This should allow the box to do the full circuit in about a month.
2) Don't be greedy - give more than you take. I'd like to emphasize quality over quantity here. It is vital to the future success of this project. If you take 5 $5 cards and replace with 3 $15 cards, that cool. If you replace it with 5 $2 cards, that's not cool.
3) Feel free to add a "for user id" on stuff that you want to go specifically to someone. Please be respectful of this and don't take something that says it is specifically for someone else.
4) 500 posts and/or 1 year FCB membership to participate.
5) You have $15-$20 at your disposal to ship the box off to the next person. The box is a medium flat rate and currently insured for $300 - I'd guess this is way under the actual value, but I think suitable for some protection that doesn't kill us in terms of cost. If you wish to insure for more or feel we should increase this, please let me know.
6) Follow the shipping order!!! Don't send it off to anyone other than the person next on the list after you, which you can find below.

Please post in this thread what you remove and what you add to the box along the way.

If you are interested in the next round, post in here that you are interested and then send me a PM with the following:

Your Name
Your Address
Your Phone Number
What you Collect
3 Favorite Players
2 Favorite Teams

This will allow me to pick some participants and keep the overlap to a minimum. I'd like to keep it baseball related or at least dominated. But feel free to add a few other sports and items that are specific for participants you know will appreciate them. I hope we can all have fun with this! I am being selective on the participants. If I don't approve you or if others participating don't want you to participate, then I will honor that request. The comfort level of all involved is extremely important to me in this project.

Questions? Fire away!
Bill

List of Participants for Round 1:

Hawk8 - - -Dustin P.
Players: Andre Dawson, Sammy Sosa HR chase stuff, Ryne Sandberg, Shawon Dunston Cubs Uni, Kerry Wood Cubs Uni, Mark Prior Cubs Uni, Starlin Castro, Corey Patterson Cubs Uni
Teams: Cubs, New Orleans Saints, LSU tigers

gmarutiak - - - Gary M.
Players: Andrew McCutchen, Dale Murphy, Kirby Puckett, Jack Clark
Teams: Pirates, Orioles, Steelers,
Other: 2011 Panini Contenders baseball autographs (no matter how lousy the player)

Ashburn Alley - - -Greg M.
Players: Darren Daulton, Chase Utley, Brian Westbrook, Jameer Nelson, Bernard Pierce
Teams: Phillies, Eagles, Flyers

Bill Menard - - -Bill M.
Players: Paul Goldschmidt, Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller, Dustin Pedroia, Stephen Strasburg, Bryce Harper, Rocco Baldelli
Teams: Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Nationals, Cardinals
Other: 2011-2013 Bowman Chrome Autographs

200lbhockeyplayer - - - Mike B.
Players Collected: Randy Johnson, Andy Pettitte, Dick Porter
Teams: Angels, Mets, Blackhawks, Bears
Other: HOF autos, signed memorabilia, signed 2008 A&G cards, anything he can cut up and make a custom out of

wildcat4 - - - Steve W.
Teams: Cardinals, Rams, Blues, Bulls

fordman - - - Mick P.
Players Collected: Jay Bruce, Barry Larkin, Johnny Bench
Teams: Reds, Tigers

rum151man - - - Jeff W.
Players Collected: Jemile Weeks, Bo Jackson, Will Clark
Teams: Giants, Athletics

Shipping order and rough estimate of the timeline:
IDNameStateReceive ByShip By
Ashburn AlleyGregPA----
fordmanMickOH----
wildcat4SteveIL----
rum151manJeff CA----
200lbhockeyplayerMikeCA----
Hawk8DustinLA----
gmarutiakGaryPA----
Bill MenardBill RI--

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
These are the 30 cards I am contributing to the build. Would be looking for similar items from others who want to participate.

2008 Topps Justin Verlander “Season’s Highlights” GU Jersey
2011 Bowman Sterling Michael Pineda GU Jersey
2012 Bowman Sterling Chris Heston AU RC
2013 Bowman Sterling Jake Sweaney AU RC
scan1.jpg

2011 Prime Cuts Ryan Braun Century Collection GU Jersey #’d 22/49
2011 Prime Cuts Andre Dawson Colossal Collection GU Jersey #’d 12/49
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Andy Pettitte Dual Home/Away GU Jersey #’d 22/150
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Andy Pettitte Dual Home/Away GU Jersey #’d 149/150
scan2.jpg

2013 Topps Tier One Nomar Garciaparra GU Bat #’d 35/399
2013 Topps Tier One Dwight Gooden GU Jersey #’d 85/399
2013 Topps Tier One Carlos Gonzalez GU Jersey #’d 307/399
2013 Topps Tier One Paul O’Neill GU Jersey #’d 288/399
scan3.jpg

2005 Leaf Limited Victor Martinez GU Prime 3 color patch #’d 23/75
2005 Donruss Signature Series Adrian Beltre Stamp & Game Used Shoe #’d 53/100
2002 Topps T206 Barry Zito GU Jersey
2013 Topps Billy Butler “Chasing History” FILTHY GU Jersey
scan4.jpg

2011 Bowman Sterling Rickie Weeks/Jemile Weeks Gold Refractor Dual GU Jersey #’d 22/50
2004 Donruss Classics Eric Chavez “Dress Code” GU Patch #’d 7/25
2002 Leaf Certified Materials Bobby Abreu “Fabrics of the Game” GU Patch #’d 94/96
2002 Leaf Cliff Floyd “Shirt Off My Back” GU Patch
scan5.jpg

2013 National Treasures Kirk Nieuwenhuis GU Patch 6/25
2007 UD Ultimate Collection Prince Fielder/Mark Teixeira “Ultimate Ensemble GU Patches #’d 13/25
2012 Prime Cuts Matt Kemp “Timeline” Quad GU Bat/Jersey #’d 12/25
2003 Donruss Elite Torii Hunter “Throwback Threads” GU Patch #’d 1/25
scan6.jpg

2012 Bowman Sterling Gavin Cecchini RC AU
2010 Topps Chrome Ryan Lavarnway RC AU
2012 Leaf Valiant Robert Stephenson RC AU #’d 76/99
scan8.jpg

2012 Bowman Platinum Greg Bird Refractor AU RC
2012 Leaf Valiant Austin Hedges RC AU
2010 Bowman Chrome Craig Clark Blue Refractor RC AU #’d 84/150
scan9.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Bumping this up... I can't believe Greg and I are the only two people interested in a GU/Auto Box O Goodies... or are we?

wildcat4

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Illinois
I don't gave much in the way of game used/auto baseball cards at the moment.
I do gave quite a few hockey, basketball and football game used and autos. Would those work, or are you just limiting it to baseball?

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I might join in!Sounds like fun! I say whatever is in the box at the end we could auction and donate to FCB or something. Just a suggestion as this is not my project (or my cards to begin with).

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I will also try to get some stuff together, I need that Dawson!

I bought it with you in mind, so I'm glad you are interested to participate. Big show this weekend and I'll look for a few more Dawson cards, etc., to add now that I have a better sense of who is interested.

I already have all your info, so I'll just add it to the list once I put it together (soon!).

I'll PM you my address to ship starter material to in a few minutes.

I don't gave much in the way of game used/auto baseball cards at the moment.
I do gave quite a few hockey, basketball and football game used and autos. Would those work, or are you just limiting it to baseball?

Would love to have you participate! Send me the details on what you collect, name, address, phone number and you are added in!

I have no problem with you adding in some decent football/basketball/hockey, as others may like/want them. I just don't know how much of those will be in the box to start besides what you put into it. I have a few hockey I'll put in for you, but they are nothing to get to excited about. Just some oldies from 2006-07 SPx and SP Game Used that I cracked chasing a Crosby/Ovechkin back in the day. They are just basic jersey cards of nobody big that I recall. Nonetheless, I'll add them :)

I'll PM you my address to ship starter material to in a few minutes.

I might join in!Sounds like fun! I say whatever is in the box at the end we could auction and donate to FCB or something. Just a suggestion as this is not my project (or my cards to begin with).

Would love to have you participate! Send me the details on what you collect, name, address, phone number and you are added in!

Edit: Goal would be to have it go out again for another round with some new participants, rather than a sell off or donation.

I'm interested and have a bunch to get it started. Shoot me your address Bill and I'll help get it fattened.

MIKE!!!!! Nice to see you back on the board. Would love to have you participate! I have all your info as well, so don't need you to PM me anything. I'll send my addy over to you in a few minutes.

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Cool! The return of Gary The Great!!!

This is the first (and undoubtedly last) time I have been referred to in such a way. Thanks for stroking my ego, Bill!

I also like the idea of all sports being represented in the box, as long as it stays mostly baseball. I have a little football and one cool hockey card to add.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
PM sent to all with info to move forward. We are core of 8 right now. I'm open to adding up to 2 more people.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Any Andy Pettitte would be much appreciated...so if they're in there...assume I'll grab them.

Package heading your way.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
These will also be in the box to start:

HOCKEY
Zdeno Chara/Ray Bourque 2013-14 SP Game Used Dual Jersey
Mike Richards 2013-14 Totally Certified Epix Jersey
Thomas Hickey 2013-14 Totally Certified Blue Rookie Roll Call Patch /50
Evander Kane 2011-12 Elite Social Signatures Auto
Alex Tanguay 2013-14 Totally Certified Patch /50

BASEBALL
Austin Wilson 2013 Elite Extra Edition Aspirations Die-Cut Auto /100
Andrei Rienzo 2013 Bowman Chrome Autograph (x2)

FOOTBALL
Doug Martin 2013 Fleer Retro Autograph
Anthony Carter 2013 Fleer Retro Auto
Tyler Eifert 2013 Bowman Sterling Blue Prizm Patch #/171
Vance McDonald 2013 Bowman Sterling Gold Refractor Patch /50
Matt Barkley 2013 Bowman Sterling Jersey/Auto #/130
Caleb Sturgis 2013 Panini Black Auto /199
Larry Fitzgerald 2013 Panini Black Jersey #/299
Chris Johnson Jumbo Jersey #/49
Robert Housler 2013 Panini Black Auto /25

BASKETBALL
Kent Bazemore 2012-13 Panini Brilliance Auto
Brook Lopez 2012-13 Absolute Auto #/149
Andrea Bargnani 2012-13 Panini Brilliance Jumbo Jersey

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I picked a few more cards up for the box now that we have some committed members who have shared their lists of interests. Enjoy!

Kirby Puckett 2004 Legendary Cuts GU Bat
Ken Griffey Jr. 2001 UD GU Milestone Edition GU Bat
Clemens/Pettitte 2004 Absolute Dual GU Bat /250
Pat Burrell 2003 Fleer National Patchtime GU Patch /300
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1396207889.378211.jpg

Barry Larkin 2003 Playoff POTG GU Jersey 99/100
Jay Bruce 2013 Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection GU Jersey
Randy Johnson 2004 Playoff Honors GU Jersey 23/250
Ryan Howard 2006 UD Artifacts Gold Limited GU Jersey 84/150
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1396208135.164973.jpg

Corey Patterson 1999 Topps Traded RC Auto
Jay Bruce 2009 UD Goodwin Auto