Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
The error was a Gold Front and a Bronze back. The other Jeter was Bronze on both sides. When I get home probably Tuesday I will scan the cards. Beckett was actually excited to see the cards as the guy was asking me a lot of questions as he said he has heard about these cards but never seen one. I am sure I can find my old scan though so you can see the difference.

Attachments

• Jeter Bronze Error0002.jpg
    Jeter Bronze Error0002.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Jeter Bronze Error0001.jpg
    Jeter Bronze Error0001.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 78

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The error was a Gold Front and a Bronze back. The other Jeter was Bronze on both sides. When I get home probably Tuesday I will scan the cards. Beckett was actually excited to see the cards as the guy was asking me a lot of questions as he said he has heard about these cards but never seen one. I am sure I can find my old scan though so you can see the difference.

Cool thanks , I thought at one point you stated you had sold the regular one and still had the "error". But I guess you sold the error and have the regular still.

Ryan

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I had a $10,000.00 offer on the regular and a big reason why I bought the Griffey now I am waiting for people to ask questions about the Griffey. I don't think there is a 2nd one out there.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
98ultraticketstuds.jpg

ticmasdc.jpg

Love those ticketmasters cards, I think I have a Vladdy.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Bought my last Epix Jeter needed last night I am hoping to make a few more deals before the weeks over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Shot him an offer and he accepted I was going to buy from Paul but he wanted more than I was willing to pay at the time.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Funny I didn't even think of it that way till you said that.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Does anyone have any info about this card? I acquired it last year and then just today wrote an extensive article on it, which you can read here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1996-summit-big-bang-mirage-contest-redemption-1.jpg

I have serious doubts about your theory of this card being a special prize. I think it's much more likely this was an unstamped replacement card that later entered the hobby through the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy auction, then was stamped by a seller who wanted to increase its value by deceiving buyers. While I can't be 100% positive of either theory, my evidence is the difference in fonts of the stamped serial numbers. Pinnacle was very consistent across all its 1996 brands in the font used for the numbers. Notice the "1" on your card has a bottom foot to it - the horizontal bar at the bottom of the number. Pinnacle's font didn't have a bottom bar, like the "1" on this card. The stamping on your card looks amateurish in comparison, and I can't imagine Pinnacle or its printer paying for different stamping dies/tools to make this one card.

Cal-Ripken-Jr.jpg

Also, if Pinnacle did make a special 1/1 for the contest winner, I don't see any advantage to a card manufacturer not promoting the fact. Why go to the trouble to do something special and get no marketing value from it? I think the hobby would have known about this before if the card were legit.

When Pinnacle did introduce 1/1 cards to the hobby in 1997 New Pinnacle (print plates), they were very concerned with authenticity (having president sign backs of cards) and promoted them heavily. I do think it is interesting that this Big Bang contest probably laid the foundation for their 1997 promotion offering rewards for completing a full set of 1/1 printing plates for any one player.

Last edited:

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I don't think it was a special prize either and think it was done after the Pinnacle bankruptcy as well. Here is some more info from baseballcardpedia.com :

Big Bang Each Big Bang insert is serial-numbered to 600 copies. In addition, there is a "Big Bang Mirage" parallel, also serial-numbered to 600 copies. When a Mirage card is held in direct sunlight or under a light bulb, a floating baseball that seems to levitate could be seen in the background.
Collectors that managed to piece together a complete set of Big Bang Mirage cards could then send it in to Pinnacle in exchange for one box of every 1997 Pinnacle baseball product. Collectors that managed to piece together a complete set with matching serial numbers could exchange that set for one box of every 1997 Pinnacle product from every sport.
1 Frank Thomas
2 Ken Griffey, Jr.
3 Albert Belle
4 Mo Vaughn

5 Barry Bonds
6 Cal Ripken, Jr.
7 Jeff Bagwell
8 Mike Piazza
9 Ryan Klesko
10 Manny Ramirez
11 Tim Salmon
12 Dante Bichette
13 Sammy Sosa
14 Raul Mondesi
15 Chipper Jones
16 Garret Anderson

I have serious doubts about your theory of this card being a special prize. I think it's much more likely this was an unstamped replacement card that later entered the hobby through the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy auction, then was stamped by a seller who wanted to increase its value by deceiving buyers. While I can't be 100% positive of either theory, my evidence is the difference in fonts of the stamped serial numbers. Pinnacle was very consistent across all its 1996 brands in the font used for the numbers. Notice the "1" on your card has a bottom foot to it - the horizontal bar at the bottom of the number. Pinnacle's font didn't have a bottom bar, like the "1" on this card. The stamping on your card looks amateurish in comparison, and I can't imagine Pinnacle or its printer paying for different stamping dies/tools to make this one card.

Cal-Ripken-Jr.jpg

Also, if Pinnacle did make a special 1/1 for the contest winner, I don't see any advantage to a card manufacturer not promoting the fact. Why go to the trouble to do something special and get no marketing value from it? I think the hobby would have known about this before if the card were legit.

When Pinnacle did introduce 1/1 cards to the hobby in 1997 New Pinnacle (print plates), they were very concerned with authenticity (having president sign backs of cards) and promoted them heavily. I do think it is interesting that this Big Bang contest probably laid the foundation for their 1997 promotion offering rewards for completing a full set of 1/1 printing plates for any one player.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I don't think it was a special prize either and think it was done after the Pinnacle bankruptcy as well. Here is some more info from baseballcardpedia.com :

Big Bang Each Big Bang insert is serial-numbered to 600 copies. In addition, there is a "Big Bang Mirage" parallel, also serial-numbered to 600 copies. When a Mirage card is held in direct sunlight or under a light bulb, a floating baseball that seems to levitate could be seen in the background.
Collectors that managed to piece together a complete set of Big Bang Mirage cards could then send it in to Pinnacle in exchange for one box of every 1997 Pinnacle baseball product. Collectors that managed to piece together a complete set with matching serial numbers could exchange that set for one box of every 1997 Pinnacle product from every sport.
1 Frank Thomas
2 Ken Griffey, Jr.
3 Albert Belle
4 Mo Vaughn

5 Barry Bonds
6 Cal Ripken, Jr.
7 Jeff Bagwell
8 Mike Piazza
9 Ryan Klesko
10 Manny Ramirez
11 Tim Salmon
12 Dante Bichette
13 Sammy Sosa
14 Raul Mondesi
15 Chipper Jones
16 Garret Anderson

In addition, I just picked up a Mike Piazza numbered ***/600 on the back. I have seen ones marked SAMPLE on the back, but never one like this. Has anyone else ever come across one like this?

Members online