Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Clayton Kershaw 7 yr 215 MM extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'll be curious to see if this takes LA out of the Tanaka hunt.

They claim otherwise, but we shall see.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
What a stupid contract. No pitcher is, ever has been, or ever will be, worth $215 million.

No position player is worth that. And no player who only plays once every five days is worth that.

But kudos to Kershaw for getting such a large contract.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
What a stupid contract. No pitcher is, ever has been, or ever will be, worth $215 million.

No position player is worth that. And no player who only plays once every five days is worth that.

But kudos to Kershaw for getting such a large contract.

I tend to agree with you, although he has won 2 Cy Youngs in 3 years (he was 2nd in voting in 2012). What if he reals off 4 more Cy Youngs in the next 7 years? Think he'd be worth that much money? Seems to me he would, especially being a young home-grown talent and one of the faces of the franchise.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
He's the best pitcher in the game at 25 and teams are printing money. Contracts are going to keep going up.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I tend to agree with you, although he has won 2 Cy Youngs in 3 years (he was 2nd in voting in 2012). What if he reals off 4 more Cy Youngs in the next 7 years? Think he'd be worth that much money? Seems to me he would, especially being a young home-grown talent and one of the faces of the franchise.

And he could blow out his shoulder this spring training and never be the same pitcher ever again.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
And he could blow out his shoulder this spring training and never be the same pitcher ever again.

You could apply that to any contract. You can't solely abide by the worst case scenario when making decisions.

On the other side of the coin, what if they wait and he repeats his 2013 season this year. $300 million?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
All I know is, Price and Scherzer owe Kershaw a steak dinner. They're presently dancing in the streets.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
You could apply that to any contract. You can't solely abide by the worst case scenario when making decisions.

On the other side of the coin, what if they wait and he repeats his 2013 season this year. $300 million?

Yeah, it's a double edge sword for sure.

But when I do see things like this, a little part of me wants to actually see the player completely fail and make the team regret handing out such a ridiculous contract, putting an albatross on the franchise.

Hopefully what the Pujols contract does to Anaheim, and the Cano contract does to Seattle.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

Kershaw is coming off arguably the best season of his career, as he went 16-9 with a 1.83 ERA, 0.92 WHIP and 232 strikeouts.

Great ERA, but 16-9 is not mind blowing.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah, it's a double edge sword for sure.

But when I do see things like this, a little part of me wants to actually see the player completely fail and make the team regret handing out such a ridiculous contract, putting an albatross on the franchise.

Hopefully what the Pujols contract does to Anaheim, and the Cano contract does to Seattle.

Now come on, I know you like to defend ARod, but you can't leave him out too.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If I read the story correctly, opt out after 5.
Holy hell hes gonna be a 300 million player if he wins 2-3 Cy Youngs and the Dodgers win 1-2 titles in the next 5 years.

Latest posts