Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Clayton Kershaw 7 yr 215 MM extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Tim Lincecum did the same thing, then he became mediocre and is being paid $20 million a year.
I hope Kershaw fares better, but signing pitchers to monster contracts is a huge risk.

I was waiting for someone to mention Lincecum :lol:

I don't think Kershaw is going to lose effectiveness to the point where he becomes mediocre. Maybe he's not a Cy Young winner every year, but he's still young and has all the talent and polish to be a superstar for years.

Then again, maybe he will be a Cy Young winner 3-5 of the next 7 years and we'll be debating whether he was undervalued or not.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I was waiting for someone to mention Lincecum :lol:

I don't think Kershaw is going to lose effectiveness to the point where he becomes mediocre. Maybe he's not a Cy Young winner every year, but he's still young and has all the talent and polish to be a superstar for years.

Then again, maybe he will be a Cy Young winner 3-5 of the next 7 years and we'll be debating whether he was undervalued or not.

He will never be undervalued at $30 mil per

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
This is incredibly painful for me to say, but I agree with everything Sam has posted in this thread.

Whew! That took a piece of my soul with it...:lol:
Sorry Charlie, I disliked your post. Not necessarily for agreeing with Sam, but for the fact that you admitted it.:?

With that said, it is a ton of money for a pitcher......but if there is one pitcher to be paid that amount of money, it's Kershaw. I mean he is having one of the best starts to a career since someone like Doc Gooden. I'd even go out and say that Kershaw has had a better start to his career than Gooden. Look at Kershaw and Gooden's start to age 25 seasons and that will show how good Kershaw is. Kershaw has a lower WHIP, ERA, ERA+, better K/9, H/9, etc....only trails in like CG and SHO, but the game is different today, and managers don't let pitchers go the distance anymore. A more even comparison to start a career would be Tom Seaver. Yeah you know, arguably one of (if not the) greatest modern day pitcher to ever bless a mound. By age 25 the are nearly identical in all stats. Kershaw has a slightly higher era, slightly lower ERA+, slightly lower W%, slightly higher WHIP, slightly lower H/9, higher K/9, and slightly higher K/BB. Amazing how Kershaw is on pace to equal Tom Seavers career, and you guys are saying that he is getting too much money? I'm sorry guys but money is part of the game now, and as long as there is money to be spent it will. Based off that, Kershaw having the career he is and also being a player you could build a franchise around, I'd say $215m is par for the course.

So I figured that he will be a free agent at around 33 years of age, which is still plenty young for the Red Sox to sign him to a 3 year deal. I'll patiently wait for that day. I love that the Sox have moved on from large contracts, but Kershaw is literally the only player in baseball I would want them to throw a bunch of money at. No limit. I don't worry about him breaking down into his early 30's like Pedro or someone like that, because Kershaw is actually well built, not skinny like a bean pole, lol.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Tim Lincecum did the same thing, then he became mediocre and is being paid $20 million a year.
I hope Kershaw fares better, but signing pitchers to monster contracts is a huge risk.
Huge risk based on what? I understand your point when a pitcher is signed to a large contract into his mid-late 30's, but Kershaw will be 33 when this contract runs out...which will be about the end of his prime years. Dodgers were smart to maybe pay a little more AAV for less years.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
No part of my original post was to piss in the Dodgers fans cereal.

If the Cardinals gave Wainwright (who's just as good as Kershaw) $215 million, I would be screaming from the mountain top how ignorant it is.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
The prive of average pitchers has gone up. We cant compare what pitchers made 10 years ago, when ok, pitchers are asking/getting 12/15 mil a season. And if the dodgers didnt offer him the money, someone would have and he would have left, when he cou;d. And them all the same people would have made fun of the dodgers for that. I'm an angels fan, so I don't have a whole lot of love for the dodgers, but they did what you have to do to keep a hof type pitcher, you can't let maddux walk, like the cubs did, unless, you don't plan on ever winning.

Tanaka is about to get 20 mil per, kershaw isn't worth more than a guy who is 1.5 years younger and never pitched here??

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'll be curious to see if this takes LA out of the Tanaka hunt.

doubt it. Dodgers are doubly flush with new money this year (both from the new MLB National tv contracts plus their own new local tv deal). In fact, I hate to have to say it since I hate cable companies..... Thank You Time Warner!!!!!

I just hope Clayton doesn't become complacent in the first year or two of his new deal. It seems like an athlete inked to a big time new contract or big extension has an off-year in the first year of the new huge pact.

I can't wait to see if Clayton even finishes the deal as a Dodger. I hope he does, but my curiosity is if $30+ million/yr will be an albatross to getting him moved if the Dodgers need to in a future year or will that seem like nothing that will kill a potential deal in a few years time if salaries continue to escalate.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He will never be undervalued at $30 mil per

Agreed. He could win the next 7 Cy Youngs and not be undervalued. Here's how I look at it. Scott Feldman - freaking Scott Feldman - is being paid $10 million a year for 3 years by the Astros. In that comparison to Kershaw, yes, it makes sense to pay Kershaw $30 million a year b/c Kershaw is THAT much better than Feldman.

But how about we just take a step back and realize that Feldman is getting paid $10 million a year. Who here would pay Feldman $10 million a year for 3 years to pitch for your team?

I can agree to this - Kershaw should be the top paying pitcher in the game. But $30 million for one player is just absurd.

Latest posts