Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ubaldo Jimenez Signs a 4-Year/$50M Deal With the Orioles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
They're clearly not afraid to lose a 1st round draft pick.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
Source: #Orioles have made substantial progress on Jimenez and are working to finalize deal. Believed 4 years and around $48 mil.

Last edited:

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Not this season anyhow (losing the 1st round pick). I guess you can see what the pick being attached really cost Jimenez as this was less than Garza got by around 5 million.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Man, he was one of the guys the Blue Jays were rumoured to be interested in. Talk around town is that they ARE going to sign a starter, and their preferences were #1 Ervin Santana, #2 Jimenez, and #3 AJ Burnett.

Looks like they might very well end up with none of the above.

- Rodrick

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
About time Orioles get some pitching.Heard this morning Reds are close to giving Bailey a huge new deal too.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Wow, would have NEVER guessed the O's signing Ubaldo. Not a bad deal considering the amount of money starting pitchers get nowadays.

Imo, they overpaid for a guy who's last good season was in 2010.
You DO realize last season he had a 3.30 ERA over 182ip (along with a 9.6 K/9 - career high) with a 1.82 ERA over the second half of the season?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I personally see Ubaldo as a very good #3 , and at $12.5/per that is a good price. Go look at what pitching is worth nowadays, that is at least market value if not below market value. Other guys last year who go paid more - Ted Lilly, Dan Haren, Johan Santana, Edwin Jackson, Mark Buehrle, Ryan Dempster, Wandy Rodriguez, John Danks. I would take Ubaldo at his salary over these guys certainly.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Wow, would have NEVER guessed the O's signing Ubaldo. Not a bad deal considering the amount of money starting pitchers get nowadays.

You DO realize last season he had a 3.30 ERA over 182ip (along with a 9.6 K/9 - career high) with a 1.82 ERA over the second half of the season?

Was about to say the same thing.Any starter with a 3.30 ERA is a good season in my book too.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Other than his two dominant streaks since 2010 (first two months of 2010, last month of 2013), Jimenez has been a 4.59 ERA pitcher. I remember in 2010 when he was declared an ace. A season in which he pitched to a 4.08 ERA for over two thirds of the year.

And the teams that he dominated last September were nothing special. The Orioles, the Royals, the White Sox twice, the Astros, and the Twins.

Sure, it's not a bad signing considering the market (hell, Scott Kazmir got 2/22), but I wouldn't be expecting anything special from him.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I personally see Ubaldo as a very good #3 , and at $12.5/per that is a good price. Go look at what pitching is worth nowadays, that is at least market value if not below market value. Other guys last year who go paid more - Ted Lilly, Dan Haren, Johan Santana, Edwin Jackson, Mark Buehrle, Ryan Dempster, Wandy Rodriguez, John Danks. I would take Ubaldo at his salary over these guys certainly.

I agree. If Scott Feldman is getting $10 mil per over 4 years, I'm happy with the O's paying $12.5 per over 4 years to Ubaldo. Not overly excited about the signing but we did need somebody and I feel Ubaldo was the best arm left on the market.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Other than his two dominant streaks since 2010 (first two months of 2010, last month of 2013), Jimenez has been a 4.59 ERA pitcher. I remember in 2010 when he was declared an ace. A season in which he pitched to a 4.08 ERA for over two thirds of the year.

And the teams that he dominated last September were nothing special. The Orioles, the Royals, the White Sox twice, the Astros, and the Twins.

Sure, it's not a bad signing considering the market (hell, Scott Kazmir got 2/22), but I wouldn't be expecting anything special from him.
Wow, way to cherry pick the sh*t out of his stats. :lol:

From June 1st onward he had a 2.40ERA and from May 1st onwards he had a 2.72ERA. Those are #2 starter numbers. Ubaldo is being paid as a #3 or #4 starter. Yes he got lit up a couple of games in April, but it was against the Red Sox and Yankees. Other than that he pitched very well over the course of the whole season. Ubaldo can be inconsistent with his control but when he is going good he can be very dominant. Sure he had bad years in 11' and 12' but it seems like he got things figured out in 13' so because of that I'd think he would continue to have above average seasons worthy of a $50m contract.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Wow, way to cherry pick the sh*t out of his stats. :lol:

From June 1st onward he had a 2.40ERA and from May 1st onwards he had a 2.72ERA. Those are #2 starter numbers. Ubaldo is being paid as a #3 or #4 starter. Yes he got lit up a couple of games in April, but it was against the Red Sox and Yankees. Other than that he pitched very well over the course of the whole season. Ubaldo can be inconsistent with his control but when he is going good he can be very dominant. Sure he had bad years in 11' and 12' but it seems like he got things figured out in 13' so because of that I'd think he would continue to have above average seasons worthy of a $50m contract.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. All I can say is he's been nothing else if not inconsistent. I'd hate to pay for a guy like this who's coming off yet another inconsistent season (from a season-to-season standpoint) and be stuck with him for 4 years. But like you say...maybe he's got it figured out and 2013's performance will become the norm.

Too bad Jon Lester wants to stay in Boston so bad. Otherwise I'd have said the O's would be better off waiting until next year and snagging him away from the Red Sox.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I guess we'll have to wait and see. All I can say is he's been nothing else if not inconsistent. I'd hate to pay for a guy like this who's coming off yet another inconsistent season (from a season-to-season standpoint) and be stuck with him for 4 years. But like you say...maybe he's got it figured out and 2013's performance will become the norm.

Too bad Jon Lester wants to stay in Boston so bad. Otherwise I'd have said the O's would be better off waiting until next year and snagging him away from the Red Sox.
That is exactly why Baltimore is signing someone like Jimenez, many teams are wising up and extending their top pitchers....you will see less and less #1-3 guys hit the FA market in the future so teams can't wait around for a select few guys to hit free agency because that might not happen.

Assuming all player/team options get picked up, the top 3 FA starting pitchers this offseason are Scherzer, Lester, and Masterson....and I could see all 3 getting extended. Which leaves VERY few options for top of the rotation starters. Makes the Ubaldo signing look quite good for the cost they got him for.

(Love your sig, btw!)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
With Bailey getting $100+ million this looks like a real bargain all of a sudden...

Members online

No members online now.