Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone On Here Buy The Canseco Bat Barrel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I can't understand why anyone would ever want to show off their card collection. In a sportscard forum no less.

There's always someone with a better collection who doesn't show it off... and that makes them a much better person.

Stop being shiitty people. Keep your collections to yourself.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I see the up and down sides to advertise your wants online. I don't personally "in your face" it, but will semi-frequently drop smaller hints or make requests regarding my collecting interest in comments and threads, mainly on 2-3 sites. Most of us visit multiple sites, so content shared across all of the major sites gets repetitive at times, so I rarely share the same thing on multiple sites, but have on occasion in the past. I find it too cumbersome to check and be active on more than 2-3 card related sites most of the time. I tend to move from one site to the next when the interest seems to have faded.

I also have benefited from people associating me with a certain player, but it has also backfired too. There have been lots of generous folks who want to help you grow your collection, sometimes via freebies, and a few that want to maximize their profits off of your interest too.

I'm not on social media like Tanner but I have made posts on all the regular message boards about wanting rare Mariano Rivera's and I can say it's a double edged sword. I have gotten some good cards and 95% of the people are supportive and/or cool with it, but there's also been some blow back. Some people just seem to get angry that have someone else has a big/nice collection. It's why I'm apprehensive about sharing more of my Mo's online.

Scott F

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
That is very kind of you to stand up for me [MENTION=2239]1st4040[/MENTION] thanks!

You have the right to collect whatever way you choose and how you obtain your cards is irrelevant as long as your enjoying them. Being considered a super collector by your peers speaks for itself.. let the collection do the talking for you not pride and arrogance. You know I respect your collection (a good portion used to be mine LOL)

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
We're taking potshots at moushi now? :lol:

He's one of the most passionate, friendly and amusing collectors this dwindling hobby has. :grouphug:

Thanks [MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION] ! I very much so appreciate it.

You have the right to collect whatever way you choose and how you obtain your cards is irrelevant as long as your enjoying them. Being considered a super collector by your peers speaks for itself.. let the collection do the talking for you not pride and arrogance. You know I respect your collection (a good portion used to be mine LOL)

This is very sound advice! Personally, I'm not a fan of comparing collections as it breeds all kinds of negative emotions. I try to live my hobby life as "people over cardboard". I do not desire for anyone to feel jealous / bad / etc. about something I may pick up. This hobby should be fun and enjoyable! One of the greatest things about our hobby is the community. Collecting to be better than what someone else has is the complete opposite of that, and is, in my opinion, poisonous. Do I think there are some AMAZING collections out there of Jose? Absolutely! Would I trade my collection for anyone else's on the planet? Absolutely not! This has nothing to do with what I think about other collections out there, and everything to do with how proud I am of my own.

Paul, the pickup of a lot of your collection early on was huge for me, and I cannot thank you enough for being patient w/me while I was going through your checklist - there were so many cards that I picked up from you that I may have still not seen yet elsewhere. Aaron has said a few times that I picked up where you left off, which I wear as a badge of honor. I am thankful for how thorough and methodical you were for years and years picking up obscure oddball items especially. Please know that your hard work is fully appreciated, and was not lost on me! Fun fact: I JUST landed the last (known to me) Star promo card, which I believe completes my run ... unless a matte or gloss variation pops up of something I don't yet know about. It wouldn't surprise me if there were, but it is the last 100% known to exist checklisted item - the 1991 Star Silver promo. I think it went for $2.25 and interestingly enough, the satisfaction I get from that card rivals a 1/1 I just picked up recently for significantly more than $2.25 :)

forgerelli said:
I'm not on social media like Tanner but I have made posts on all the regular message boards about wanting rare Mariano Rivera's and I can say it's a double edged sword. I have gotten some good cards and 95% of the people are supportive and/or cool with it, but there's also been some blow back. Some people just seem to get angry that have someone else has a big/nice collection. It's why I'm apprehensive about sharing more of my Mo's online.

I can understand this, and can say I agree fully. Most of the feedback I get is very positive. Every now and then however, I do get people here and there who go out of their way to make sure I know they don't like me. The one thing that these folks fail to realize is that it says more about who they are than who they are harping on. I liken it to the loudmouth dad in the stands at a little league game screaming the umpire sucks. Does the crowd think the umpire really does suck, or the dad is a knucklehead due to his ranting?

As for your collection being online, I can tell you my experience. A BIG negative is that my competitors know what I at almost all times. Thankfully, because I have a good relationship with many of them, while they can strategize how to go against me, it also helps to do deals with them. But in the end, it is not for them; it is for everyone else to know if they have something I may want. Truth be told, it is under-utilized by everyone else (to what I was hoping for), but I still am very happy about what I have, as I just enjoy looking at it myself. It is a way for me to look through my collection whenever I want, without getting my grubby little paws on the real cards :)

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Paul, the pickup of a lot of your collection early on was huge for me, and I cannot thank you enough for being patient w/me while I was going through your checklist - there were so many cards that I picked up from you that I may have still not seen yet elsewhere. Aaron has said a few times that I picked up where you left off, which I wear as a badge of honor. I am thankful for how thorough and methodical you were for years and years picking up obscure oddball items especially. Please know that your hard work is fully appreciated, and was not lost on me! Fun fact: I JUST landed the last (known to me) Star promo card, which I believe completes my run ... unless a matte or gloss variation pops up of something I don't yet know about. It wouldn't surprise me if there were, but it is the last 100% known to exist checklisted item - the 1991 Star Silver promo. I think it went for $2.25 and interestingly enough, the satisfaction I get from that card rivals a 1/1 I just picked up recently for significantly more than $2.25 :)

as a collector who was hardcore in the junk era and a completest to the max I totally understand the satisfaction of landing the oddballs that everyone passes up. I also enjoyed locating cards that nobody had ever seen(2000 Venezuelan sticker for example) even if they weren't considered super valuable like the low numbered stuff. I have so many memories of finding cards that I've only seen a couple copies of in places you wouldn't normally search. Good to see you've taken the torch and run with it and that your passionate about it the same way I once was. I can live vicariously through you and [MENTION=7109]RAZOR-Z[/MENTION] now!

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'm pretty lucky that there aren't any other Mariano super collectors out there. There was one other guy that collected him and I bought his entire collection. (Jastermareel was his username on here). When he sold it he wanted to sell it to someone like me that would truly appreciate it, he could have made a lot more piecing it out when Mariano was retiring.

I came out of the closet mostly because I had purchased all the rare Mariano cards that were for sale. Except for newly issued stuff I was lucky to find a new card I needed once every 2-3 months. Plus having my super collector sig and posting buying threads on the boards lets people know I'm out there. Some guy had a Triple Threads 1/1 White Whale auto/patch sitting in a box in his closet and didn't care about it. Then he saw my post on blowout and sold me the card. Another guy saw a 1/1 button Mo for sale on Facebook and sent the guy my info. 95% of the cards I have came from ebay, but reaching out like that gets me that extra 5% that I would probably never see otherwise.

The only real issue I've dealt with is one guy bidding me up recently on ebay. But I think that has more to do with outbidding him on a card he really wanted. He went atomic with his bid, but I went thermonuclear.

Scott F

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
We're taking potshots at moushi now? :lol:

He's one of the most passionate, friendly and amusing collectors this dwindling hobby has. :grouphug:

On the day that Topps makes him a spotlight in the collecting community no less...

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Wow, this thread sure took an unfortunate turn.

There's no question that those of us that have chosen to put our names out there as collectors of certain teams or players has been far more beneficial for our collections and our relationships in the hobby than not. I'm super grateful that people actually take the time to track me down simply because I have "advertised" my collection for so many years - even if what they are offering is already in my collection, I appreciate the effort. I suspect it's the same feeling for any other notable player collector.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Ask [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION], he'd know. That's a lot for a Panini card! How many GU Canseco bats could that buy?

That is an excellent question. I just do not understand why someone would pay this kind of money for a barrel when they could easily obtain a whole game used bat for a fraction of the cost. Maybe I am just old school or something but I just do not understand paying this kind of money for a piece of equipment when the whole thing can be purchased for less than the cost of a card like this.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
That is an excellent question. I just do not understand why someone would pay this kind of money for a barrel when they could easily obtain a whole game used bat for a fraction of the cost. Maybe I am just old school or something but I just do not understand paying this kind of money for a piece of equipment when the whole thing can be purchased for less than the cost of a card like this.
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] sorry, I missed your question apparently! You are likely looking at 5 gamers for the kind of money it went for. It may sound kooky, but in the buyer's defense, there are several cards I'd be willing to pay more for with just a bat piece than a full game used bat. It is kind of funny to think about it that way though, isn't it?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd only say that the card collector / player collector have long since passed the full bat (or jersey) vs barrel / logo / knob etc cost. It's really not comparable.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA

this reminds me of the pinnacle dimaggio autographs and how much they sell for compared to the cut autos some of which feature the same pinnacle card, cut and pasted on another card that sells for double. lol

mouschi

May 18, 2012
this reminds me of the pinnacle dimaggio autographs and how much they sell for compared to the cut autos some of which feature the same pinnacle card, cut and pasted on another card that sells for double. lol

Speaking of which ... I recently did a DiMaggio cut auto using a Pinnacle auto :)

20161026_114240.jpg

Members online