Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Series Prediction Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
It would be pretty awful from a marketing standpoint.

Sox Dodgers would be Ideal. A's Cards would be disastrous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

It's a good things fans don't have to look at it as a marketing standpoint.

I don't care if the Cardinals are playing Detroit or Oakland or freaking Toronto for that matter. As a fan, all I care about is that they play. I don't care if sis people watch on television.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California

I don't care if the Cardinals are playing Detroit or Oakland or freaking Toronto for that matter. As a fan, all I care about is that they play. I don't care if sis people watch on television.

Now that I think about it, Rays A's would be even worse.

A fan doesn't have to care. But then league has to make money or it won't be able to continue.

From where I sit Baseball has been losing ground to other sports for years and nothing looks likely to change that.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
not to mention impossible

Sox over Braves in 6

I'd love to say the Dodgers would be there, but I just don't like how they limped into the postseason. We'll see if they can throw some runs on the board for Kershaw tonight.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
not to mention impossible

Sox over Braves in 6

I'd love to say the Dodgers would be there, but I just don't like how they limped into the postseason. We'll see if they can throw some runs on the board for Kershaw tonight.

I had a senior moment. It happens.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

Agreed.I have watched every World Series since I was 11 because I love the game, and the drama that ensues on it's highest stage.With all the other lame programming on, MLB playoffs will always triumph in my house.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

A fan doesn't have to care. But then league has to make money or it won't be able to continue.

From where I sit Baseball has been losing ground to other sports for years and nothing looks likely to change that.

So how does it gain ground back?

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
So how does it gain ground back?

Just my opinion, and In am not a marketing guy or otherwise a genius, but here is Baseball's challenge as I see it:

Baseball's problem is a scarcity thing. Every team plays 162 games a year, 190 if they run deep into the playoffs. When games are played daily and tickets are still expensive, you lose attendance vs. Things that aren't daily.

Additionally, baseball is losing more of the market share with each generation. They're going to football, basketball, and soccer in increasing numbers. The sky isn't falling yet, but give it a few years and it will be.

Baseball has to market to regain the interest of young people. Get them to spend their money on Baseball not other sports.

Nationally market teams, and the great players. Trout Harper puig etc. Should all be getting national hype, but the only reason I know Puig is because of this board. They just need to do a better job getting young people to buy into the brand.

Plenty of action in Baseball, but it is perceived as slow and dull comparatively. So they need to fox that image, and clean up the juicing image.

But that's just my take.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Just my opinion, and In am not a marketing guy or otherwise a genius, but here is Baseball's challenge as I see it:

Baseball's problem is a scarcity thing. Every team plays 162 games a year, 190 if they run deep into the playoffs. When games are played daily and tickets are still expensive, you lose attendance vs. Things that aren't daily.

Additionally, baseball is losing more of the market share with each generation. They're going to football, basketball, and soccer in increasing numbers. The sky isn't falling yet, but give it a few years and it will be.

Baseball has to market to regain the interest of young people. Get them to spend their money on Baseball not other sports.

Nationally market teams, and the great players. Trout Harper puig etc. Should all be getting national hype, but the only reason I know Puig is because of this board. They just need to do a better job getting young people to buy into the brand.

Plenty of action in Baseball, but it is perceived as slow and dull comparatively. So they need to fox that image, and clean up the juicing image.

But that's just my take.

I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately, I don't see an easy fix.That is one of the complaints I hear is the long schedule, but MLB has been playing 162 games a year for a long time, back in the '90s I never heard of anyone griping about all the games.It's just been the last couple of years, and owners aren't all of a sudden going to cut the season back to 100 games, or whatever it would take to appease some people.On average, I think MLB tickets are cheaper than other sports, suppose I could be wrong though.From the experience I have from attending MLB and NFL games, MLB was always cheaper.

Yes, MLB is perceived as slow and dull, but how do you speed up the game?MLB has tried to make pitcher's throw the ball quicker, and it's too hard to enforce.What about shortening the breaks between innings?But then MLB would lose a ton of advertising revenue.Just last week a co-worker told me MLB is "boring", yet he can still somehow listen to games on radio, or some other nonsense.MLB is somehow "boring", yet lame golf, tennis, or Nascar, which lasts longer than 3 hours from what I can tell, is much more of a snoozefest than MLB will ever be.

Aside from putting Puig into the All Star Game, how much more can he be promoted?I thought MLB was already promoting Harper and Trout well?I'm no marketing expert either, so it will be interesting how the new commisioner tries to promote the image of the game.I hear Selig getting ripped all the time, hopefully a new commisioner will help the perception of the game.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately, I don't see an easy fix.That is one of the complaints I hear is the long schedule, but MLB has been playing 162 games a year for a long time, back in the '90s I never heard of anyone griping about all the games.It's just been the last couple of years, and owners aren't all of a sudden going to cut the season back to 100 games, or whatever it would take to appease some people.On average, I think MLB tickets are cheaper than other sports, suppose I could be wrong though.From the experience I have from attending MLB and NFL games, MLB was always cheaper.

Yes, MLB is perceived as slow and dull, but how do you speed up the game?MLB has tried to make pitcher's throw the ball quicker, and it's too hard to enforce.What about shortening the breaks between innings?But then MLB would lose a ton of advertising revenue.Just last week a co-worker told me MLB is "boring", yet he can still somehow listen to games on radio, or some other nonsense.MLB is somehow "boring", yet lame golf, tennis, or Nascar, which lasts longer than 3 hours from what I can tell, is much more of a snoozefest than MLB will ever be.

Aside from putting Puig into the All Star Game, how much more can he be promoted?I thought MLB was already promoting Harper and Trout well?I'm no marketing expert either, so it will be interesting how the new commisioner tries to promote the image of the game.I hear Selig getting ripped all the time, hopefully a new commisioner will help the perception of the game.

If you don't follow baseball, you don't hear about baseball names. I hate basketball, despise it. But I know major players. Not many who don't follow baseball know the big names. Baseball isn't getting its message across to the younger generations. Its an aging sport.

I'm not ripping the sport. They aren't easy problems to fix. But Cricket is retardedly slow and has a huge following/is immensely popular across much of the world. Baseball can do this as well, but right now they aren't (at least not that I'm seeing.)

Edit: speed of the game is not something that can easily be affected, nor should it IMO. I included more to note the shifting mood, and lack of patience which is the biggest market share challenge baseball faces today.

Last edited:

Members online