Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Signed The 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I have very casually been trying to get this thread to show up in a Google search and I can only make it happen by specifically putting Freedom Cardboard into the search lol
Well my theory is shot.

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
[MENTION=22733]Jim Owens JR[/MENTION] This is the internet. How do we know you are who you say you are? Can you prove to use that you are the son of Jim Owens. I could easily say I am the nephew of Kirby Puckett but would you believe me because of a random posting on an internet message board?

I will say this about [MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION]. I've known him for the better part of 15 years and he is an expert on everything Houston Astros and researches and collects autographs of Current and Former Astro's players with a religious fervor that would envy a priest. You can see a link to his collection and research if you click the link at the bottom of his post titles "Astros A to Z Autograph Project". If he is questioning the authenticity of an autograph then something in the signature gave him good reason to question it.

Respectfully,
-OC-

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Owens seems to be a perfect pick for this type of set/issue, an obscure and difficult autograph to find to begin with that only a very select audience would truly appreciate.

I wish that more Dodgers were represented in these sets myself, but it seems the same guys get chosen over and over. A few neat subjects have appeared, like Bruce Brubaker or Tim Harkness for example, that probably only appeal to set and team collectors though.

I still would love to see a set of certified autographs issued by team, say 100 or 200 subjects, really digging deep and getting some obscure players that most have long forgotten or those players not yet represented or under represented with certified autographs.

Nice of Jim Jr to ring in and give us some behind the curtains exposure to this subject. The subject of tougher autographs and why the players seem to avoid the fame really intrigues me. Some men going great lengths to avoid having their autograph on the market, thus driving the demand even higher (seems counterintuitive to what they might have intended).

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Last year at stadium an elderly man walked up to my table and we talked baseball for a few minutes . Then he said "I was rookie of the year 1962 " so I asked for this auto ,signed "Tom Tresh " roy 1962 and walked away . I watched him walk thru crowd with his cane - had to be 80+ in age . Slow night so I closed down so I could get a picture of my oldest G/S with him ---------- Not to be found !!!. I get home look up his auto - very close BUT dead for several years . So I got an auto from a ghost .
My question why would al elderly man say and do this ?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Last year at stadium an elderly man walked up to my table and we talked baseball for a few minutes . Then he said "I was rookie of the year 1962 " so I asked for this auto ,signed "Tom Tresh " roy 1962 and walked away . I watched him walk thru crowd with his cane - had to be 80+ in age . Slow night so I closed down so I could get a picture of my oldest G/S with him ---------- Not to be found !!!. I get home look up his auto - very close BUT dead for several years . So I got an auto from a ghost .
My question why would al elderly man say and do this ?
Why would an elderly man lie about something that could so easily been proven or discredited? Odd to hear of someone so old lying to impress someone. When I was playing travel ball, I'd lie to my crush about my tournaments so try to impress her though....lol

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
He knew his baseball but lots of older guys do know well . Scouts will stop by and ask for their cards - several times I've had one not knowing who he was .
I sell team packs of 40 or 80 different players of a team . I had a young girl and her mother looking and asked to look at a pack - no one there so I opened and was flipping for them when she said "there's daddy " instant stop for me and he was coaching that night . Gave her the card ,asked how much = FREE .
I'm at the front gate and will comment about jerseys/ hats if not regular in area this makes nights more interesting .
Last night at HS football game saw a Nebraska shirt - THAT'S RARE

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Do you still have the "Tresh" autograph? If so, would love to see what it looks like. I wonder how close to his actual signature it was. Tresh had a somewhat unique signature that may be a little harder to replicate.

His 63 T was always a card I dreamed of having after I saw it in the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubblegum Book. When I started collecting the signed copies of the all-rookie team cards, that was one of the more difficult cards to track down, aside from deceased players or high profile HOFers, because it was a SP. I still rarely see signed copies.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I wouldn't say it was ignored. I acknowledged it and another member questioned his claim to be the real deal. The post was interesting to say the least. At first it sounded like a threat to anyone who dare try to get Owens autograph directly from Owens, then it was sunshine and rainbows about collecting his autograph.
Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a son came here to defend his fathers honor?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I say, without proof he is who he says he is, the post is worthless.
I dunno. I think unless you're a nut case there's no reason to go find that thread and then post. I doubt many people cared too much....unless the guy is your pops

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a son came here to defend his fathers honor?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I think many would rather ignore the fact that the man's son came her to defend him but instead look for ways to discredit Mr. Owens son. Sure, he took exception with Therion but lets be honest, if that was my dad Therion was talking about I would be all up in his face too as it is only natural.

As for me, I give the younger Mr. Owens a ton of credit in the world for coming on here and defending his dads honor and while I really have no use for his father's autograph as it does not fit in my collecting wheel house, I will certainly be looking for one just to have. Although I would rather have the money going to the Elder Mr. Owens, I would certainly pay him directly for an autograph if the family wants to make him available to us collectors.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When the thread revived, I checked eBay and there were two listed for sale. Not sure how popular they were, aside from set collectors and the fanatic team collectors like Therion (and myself). I know I was trying to get Darrell Griffith, Dick New and some others when they were issued, even though they were featured on different teams, simply because they were once Dodgers and no other reason.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think many would rather ignore the fact that the man's son came her to defend him but instead look for ways to discredit Mr. Owens son. Sure, he took exception with Therion but lets be honest, if that was my dad Therion was talking about I would be all up in his face too as it is only natural.

As for me, I give the younger Mr. Owens a ton of credit in the world for coming on here and defending his dads honor and while I really have no use for his father's autograph as it does not fit in my collecting wheel house, I will certainly be looking for one just to have. Although I would rather have the money going to the Elder Mr. Owens, I would certainly pay him directly for an autograph if the family wants to make him available to us collectors.

Then you didn't read clearly. Attempting to get an autograph from his father is an assault worthy offense.

If this is his son, and I don't have a reason to believe or doubt it, then I can understand being defensive. However, nothing I said was intended to be mean. I was stating well-known facts that have been publicly discussed by dozens of former players. Nothing about Owens' possible alcoholism makes him a bad person. Nothing about his disdain for signing autographs makes him a bad person.

All of that has nothing to do with the fact that I do not believe Jim Owens signed those cards. The over-the-top defense of a topic that almost nobody else even cared about only solidifies my opinion. The only thing that has changed is that I now suspect it WAS Jim Owens that signed the cards, but I have no interest in the autograph of a former Astros pitcher's son.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
All of that has nothing to do with the fact that I do not believe Jim Owens signed those cards. The over-the-top defense of a topic that almost nobody else even cared about only solidifies my opinion. The only thing that has changed is that I now suspect it WAS Jim Owens that signed the cards, but I have no interest in the autograph of a former Astros pitcher's son.

*Junior wakes up dazed*
Junior: "Nurse, where am I?"
Nurse: "Save your strength Mr Owens, you're in our burn unit."
Junior *shaking a fist in air*: "Theeeeeeeerrrrrrriiiiiioooooonnnnnnn!!!!"

Ps I've been drinking

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Is it true that Owens invented pack searching in the 90's trying to retrieve a card he accidentally signed? That's what I heard from a friend was the origin of KMart pack searching.

Jim Owens JR

Sep 8, 2017
I googled Jim Owens baseball cards and I saw the forum. I really have no reason to argue my identity, but if it will help bring some closure to the question of authenticity of my dads signature on the Topps cards then I don't mind. My name is James P Owens JR. I was born October 29 1968 in Sarasota Florida. My sisters name is Deborah Ann Owens, who does still live with my dad. My mothers name was at the time her and my father were married was Elizabeth "Lisa" Owens. I still live in the Houston area a few minuets away from dad where I grew up. Therion if your friend did supposedly go to dads to get his autograph at his home he will know dad still lives in Houston in Clear Lake City off of Ramada Dr, same street he has lived for the last 40 years. Only other info I can give that might help is my phone number 832-661-8433, what else more could you want? I have nothing to prove or to gain from helping you prove the authenticity of these cards. I just hate to see my father taking the time sign these cards and there being some doubt of the signature being authentic.

Members online