Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who has the largest player collection (most different cards) on this board?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Bonds actually wasn't in this product. Thank Jesus! I think he must have been scratched at the last minute as I have a M&M promotional poster showing a Bonds card.

1of1s and Moments & Milestones affect these numbers to a large degree. With my guy if you remove 1/1s, it's closer to 8k than the 11k listed. Then if you remove things #/99 or less it goes down to 5.5k or so.

http://www.beckett.com/search/?vintage=212&sport=185223&page=1

• Rodriguez, Alex(20405)
  • Griffey Jr., Ken(16357)
  • Ripken Jr., Cal(16153)
  • Jeter, Derek(15534)
  • Pujols, Albert(14514)
  • Clemens, Roger(13503)
  • Jones, Chipper(12951)
  • Thomas, Frank BB(12257)
  • Bonds, Barry(12202)
  • Ryan, Nolan(12162)
  • Maddux, Greg(12099)
  • Guerrero, Vladimir(11827)
  • Mantle, Mickey(11683)
  • Johnson, Randy(11528)
  • Suzuki, Ichiro(11089)
  • Ramirez, Manny(10703)
  • Piazza, Mike(10482)

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I agree about the regional/oddball type issues. They are a lot of fun. They can be even more difficult to track down then an auto or patch card yet when you find one, they may only cost a few bucks due to lack of public knowledge or interest. Two of my top Bonds wants are 1993 California Highway Patrol (I've seen one about 10 years ago) and 1993 Taco Bell Stadium handout (I was told this is a 5x7). I have a 1993 QVC promotional post card that was sent through the mail to advertise a Bonds signing on their channel. I picked it up in '01 on eBay during the height of Bonds' popularity. I imagine most went straight in the trash as junk mail the day they came out of the mail box.

That is one area that I could make up ground, at least with autos. I have a lot of dupes though, but have to be over 1000 Garvey certified auto cards by now and that doesn't start to count the TTM/IP and signatures on other items.

The number of cards issued is almost certainly related to player popularity, and thus price. The more cards of your player, the more you have to spend and the more competition you have for most. I like to see solid collections of lesser collected guys (like Deshaies or Wakefield) that are damn near complete. Depending on the guy and when he played, there can be some real tough cards that won't break the bank, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. There was a guy who collected Jon Matlack and had all but 2 or 3 of the 110 or so cards made. Is it as exciting as seeing Griffey patches or Ripken autos? No, but it shows a true dedication and love and not always a fat wallet guy that anyone with money can replicate.

Yep, give me a dedicated small market player collector over one of the many "20-50% complete collection" collectors of mega superstars any day.

I agree about the regional/oddball type issues. They are a lot of fun. They can be even more difficult to track down then an auto or patch card yet when you find one, they may only cost a few bucks due to lack of public knowledge or interest. Two of my top Bonds wants are 1993 California Highway Patrol (I've seen one about 10 years ago) and 1993 Taco Bell Stadium handout (I was told this is a 5x7). I have a 1993 QVC promotional post card that was sent through the mail to advertise a Bonds signing on their channel. I picked it up in '01 on eBay during the height of Bonds' popularity. I imagine most went straight in the trash as junk mail the day they came out of the mail box.

100% agree

Still looking for the 1988 Jones Photo and 1989 Astros Smokey

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'd be interested to see how many different gu cards or auto cards people have. The Chavez collector used to have like 300 different autos if I remember correctly. That's insane!

I have 1,012 Dawson autos with 700 different and 1,234 Dawson memorabilia cards with 690 different

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My totals are in my sig. As far as percentage, closest I'm at on that is for Jim Deshaies. I need like two cards. That's it. Dude doesn't have but like 200 but these last oddballs are freaking hard to find. Like they don't exist " hard to find".
@MansGame, you'll have way more cards to collect because if Belle is like the rest of our players, topps will make about 10,000 low numbered auto patches a year. At that point your wallet will hurt and you'll be scratching your head wondering how they got all this new game used material for the cards...

Well, knock on wood, they didn't produce any cards of his from 2001 through 2011 when they brought him back by the truck load... that is until 2015 when they started to slow down and had virtually nothing in 2016, so he might be being phased out again... never know... I'm still waiting on some redemption's that are a few years old, so hopefully they fill those before pumping out new stuff.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Alright you guys. My Alomar collection is just under 61% of all known issues and if I ever get above 80% it will be a bloody miracle. SO!! I'm gonna start me a new player collection and take that baby straight to 100%. That's right, I'm going to find some early 60's scrub and get his one Topps card. It's gonna be biblical :)

Actually this does bring up the question - can anyone name a guy who had one and only one card? Not just one major release, but one total, including minors, oddballs, etc.

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Actually this does bring up the question - can anyone name a guy who had one and only one card? Not just one major release, but one total, including minors, oddballs, etc.

Back in the 90's, when the Conlon Collection came out, one year featured a subset of "rookie" cards, players from that era who never had a card. Larry Fritsch put out a few sets of One Year Winners, players who only played in a few games, and never warranted a card. I can't think of a specific player off the top of my head, but there's a good start for completists!

For the record, my PC is over 40,000 cards, with nearly 1400 GU...but I do collect a million players!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is probably easy yet hard at the same time. Easy because there has to be a bunch of guys with just 1 card, but hard to pinpoint because there are probably not as many as you'd probably think. I have the alphabetical checklist book and could look, but anyone playing after 1981 and has at least 1 card almost certainly has more with Fleer, Donruss, Score and then many more makers into the 90s. Minor League cards really started spreading in the early 70s, but there were sets before that too. Cards per player are fewer in the 50s and back, but a lot of guys maybe never saw a card at all. All of the reprint, oddball and regional sets add extra cards for many players. If we could catalog and count foreign cards, that makes the task even harder.

I think Noe Munoz only has a single minor league card, 1994 Procards Missions for the couple MLB games he appeared in but I could be wrong. He had a very long and successful career in Mexico and could have issues down there too.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, Beckett says Noe Munoz only had one card. Also same for Alan Brice and Dale Willis, two guys from the Conlon One Year Winners set. That's good enough for me :)

That is probably easy yet hard at the same time. Easy because there has to be a bunch of guys with just 1 card, but hard to pinpoint because there are probably not as many as you'd probably think. I have the alphabetical checklist book and could look, but anyone playing after 1981 and has at least 1 card almost certainly has more with Fleer, Donruss, Score and then many more makers into the 90s. Minor League cards really started spreading in the early 70s, but there were sets before that too. Cards per player are fewer in the 50s and back, but a lot of guys maybe never saw a card at all. All of the reprint, oddball and regional sets add extra cards for many players. If we could catalog and count foreign cards, that makes the task even harder.

I think Noe Munoz only has a single minor league card, 1994 Procards Missions for the couple MLB games he appeared in but I could be wrong. He had a very long and successful career in Mexico and could have issues down there too.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'd be interested to see how many different gu cards or auto cards people have. The Chavez collector used to have like 300 different autos if I remember correctly. That's insane!

I'm up to 599 official Mariano Rivera autos with 492 different. And 1376 relics with 845 different ones.

Scott F

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Me too for Mariano Rivera, that is a lot o' cash wrapped up in autos there...

Not like players like Garvey and Dawson who can be found for under $10 frequently.

That's something considering his autos aren't cheap. I know, I still need one.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
That's something considering his autos aren't cheap. I know, I still need one.

Thanks. Let me know if you need a recommendation.

Me too for Mariano Rivera, that is a lot o' cash wrapped up in autos there...

Not like players like Garvey and Dawson who can be found for under $10 frequently.

I think the cheapest I've gotten a Mariano auto for is about $80. Most cost at least double that.

That is impressive!

Thanks. Made it a cool 600 autos today (still 492 different ones) with this one:

attachment.php

I paid too much but I'm a sucker for autos with patches and that is about as good as it gets for Yankees patches.

Scott F

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 83

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I don't collect this guy, but I have 1600 different Griffey cards and about 2500 additional duplicates..
and about 300 Dawson Cards
including this auto
attachment.php

also have a nice collection of about 30 Chavez Jersey cards

Attachments

• DAWSON.JPG
    DAWSON.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Members online