Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pineda suspended for 10 games for pine tar incident.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Well, he did use a performance enhancing substance. But that's only 2 starts, right?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I really laughed out loud when I seen the video and then the picture. He really thought he was going to get away with it and did not try to hid it now did he.:lol::benson:

A_Pharis

I think the Yankees don't need a 5th starter until a week from Monday (according to ESPN radio), meaning he'd only miss one start.

HOWEVER - if he appeals it and loses the appeal... that appeal could carry him to the point where an enforced 10 games would cost him 2 starts, right?

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I think the Yankees don't need a 5th starter until a week from Monday (according to ESPN radio), meaning he'd only miss one start.

HOWEVER - if he appeals it and loses the appeal... that appeal could carry him to the point where an enforced 10 games would cost him 2 starts, right?

Yes. He shouldn't appeal, and take his 1 game ban. For Starting Pitchers, they really should enforce a REAL Suspension. 10 games is costly to a hitter/fielder, if you wanna ban him for 10 games too, give him a 50 day ban.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
The 10 games for a pitchers is stupid. Its 2 games at most. Say its 2 games instead of this 10 game lie. If a position players gets suspended 10 games, its 10 games.

No player shall intentionally discolor or damage the ball by rubbing it with soil, rosin, paraffin, licorice, sand-paper, emery-paper or other foreign substance.
PENALTY: The umpire shall demand the ball and remove the offender from the game. In addition, the offender shall be suspended automatically for 10 games. For rules in regard to a pitcher defacing the ball, see Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6).

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I also have a problem with the position player vs pitcher argument with suspensions. Sure, a position player on 10 game suspension misses 10 games. But. That player is 1/9th of the field and ABs. A starting pitcher on game day is worth much more than any position player, both in terms of direct performance and on the bench/substitute. Replacing a SP for 2 games in 10 days wreaks havoc on the bullpen and other player moves on the 25-man. How exactly do you handle a 10-game ban for a pitcher? You can't take him off the 25-man, so you're playing a man down. Now inevitably the replacement is from the bullpen, which dramatically taxes those guys, OR it's someone you recall from the minors, which necessitates someone else being removed from the roster. Then there's the fact that anyone sent down has to stay down 10 days, so you can't just keep swapping players back and forth.

In reality, 10 days for the starting pitcher is a big big problem. At any position you can likely get replacement level production off the bench and sure it makes it tight, but you're not in nearly as big a whole every 5th day.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Was there a fine? 10 days, while really only 2 starts, is still 10 salary days. That's where the disconnect between pitchers and position players differs greatly. Justin Verlander missing 10 games in an attempt to delete 2 starts is way more costly than Josh Hamilton missing 2 games , when you are talking about salary.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Was there a fine? 10 days, while really only 2 starts, is still 10 salary days. That's where the disconnect between pitchers and position players differs greatly. Justin Verlander missing 10 games in an attempt to delete 2 starts is way more costly than Josh Hamilton missing 2 games , when you are talking about salary.
I believe I heard it's roughly $29,000 in salary lost during the suspension. But yeah for someone who makes $25m/year, it's gotta be tough to swallow.

Members online