Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bud Selig's legacy...should he accept a lifetime ban upon retirement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I really can't understand why so many people hate Bud Selig.

I can. And it's born out of ignorance and people looking for a scapegoat.

I mean SERIOUSLY. The guy just suspended the biggest star in the city that houses the stadium that he can see daily from the commisioner's office in the U.S. Bank building in Milwaukee in the city he was born and raised and people want to say he hasn't been tough enough on PED's? NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN THIS TOUGH ON PED'S. #CapsIntended

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, let me be clear...I'm not looking for a scapegoat...simply some shared blame. That's it.

Selig and MLB has really done a fantastic job marketing himself and the game as these conquerors of steroids...but it's a farce. A comical ruse. Owners of the self-professed "most stringent testing in professional sports," yet all related in the steroid and drug testing field seem to balk at that notion - routinely stating about how easy it is to avoid a positive.

These most recent suspensions that were just handed down were from how many positive tests exactly? Zero. The biggest names to be suspended weren't suspended because of a positive test, but simply because an investor wasn't being paid. Yet baseball and Selig want the public to believe that testing works. It doesn't in its current state. This was a gift that fell into Selig's lap...nothing more.

Selig has routinely claimed innocence, progress, victory...and yet there's little basis for any real action...just reaction.

Steroids aside, his name shouldn't ever be enshrined, but with these same hypocritical writers trying to rewrite their own histories...he'll most certainly get the nod. And that's a shame.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Bud Selig is one of the biggest turds around. Typical for a used car salesman. He should be held responsible for the deaths of 3 Ironworkers in the fatal collapse of the "Big Blue" crane.

Selig and his cronies pushed this project so much that they put the lives of workers in danger due to their completion schedule for Miller Park. My friend Joe Edwards was the operator of the crane inside the bowl that had the 3 Ironworkers in a man basket making the connections for the lift they where performing. I have had a couple of conversations with the operator, and he points to these jackasses including Selig, for the decisions to make the lift in 25-45 mph winds that day.

Selig was one of the owners responsible for the World Series being cancelled and the work stoppage that preceded this action. Then he bought up a lot of the outstanding shares of the team during the work stoppage.

Then Selig hood winked the residents of Southeastern Wisconsin to build him a new stadium at the public's expense, and then sold the team for a great profit.

F**k you Bud, you should be in jail.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
So some others want to blame Selig because cheaters are still ahead of testing technology?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Bud Selig has been a pox on the game!

The strike

Cancellation of the World Series

Not gaining control of the steroid issue

the joke of an all star game with a tie

The ownership of the Red Sox (most questionable thing in my opinion)

Black balling of mark Cuban

Not expanding instant replay

No penalties levied against the marlins for their roster build up and subsequent fire sale after stadium was built.

4 teams filing bk since 93

This arod ped inquisition

I hope bud gets optical ******!

"Black balling of mark Cuban"
This is what gets me most. It was like...lets not have a winner on the north side I.E. the Cubs. After that i thought Selig was an a-hole to the 10th power.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Selig will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame no doubt. I, as a firm believer that the Hall should represent the history of the game as it happened, with all its glory and faults, peaks and valleys, strikes and gutters, think he rightly belongs there. I already have a signed business card of his for my HOF auto collection.

As I have learned from reading message boards of late (in no small part this one), there is a certain subset of posters who have a proclivity towards a congregation of negative emotion towards a great majority of things in general. Futhermore, when that proclivity is present in an individual, that individual inevitably has a further proclivity of exressing that negative emotion outwardly and actively. This behavior is highly predictive, meaning that we can deduce, from past behavior of said expression, that present and future expression of negative emotion is likely to happen, and we can state so not only from the point of view that the behavior WILL happen, but that it will happen in most any circumstance.

Put simply, and in the parlance of our time and place, "Haters gonna hate."

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Selig will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame no doubt. I, as a firm believer that the Hall should represent the history of the game as it happened, with all its glory and faults, peaks and valleys, strikes and gutters, think he rightly belongs there. I already have a signed business card of his for my HOF auto collection.

As I have learned from reading message boards of late (in no small part this one), there is a certain subset of posters who have a proclivity towards a congregation of negative emotion towards a great majority of things in general. Futhermore, when that proclivity is present in an individual, that individual inevitably has a further proclivity of exressing that negative emotion outwardly and actively. This behavior is highly predictive, meaning that we can deduce, from past behavior of said expression, that present and future expression of negative emotion is likely to happen, and we can state so not only from the point of view that the behavior WILL happen, but that it will happen in most any circumstance.

Put simply, and in the parlance of our time and place, "Haters gonna hate."

LOL, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, the best predictor of future performance is past performance.

I agree Selig will probably become a HOFer because he presided over a key part in baseball history as you indicate above and baseball didn't destroy itself.

I was thinking about this the other day - that sometimes the circumstances make the man in the eyes of others no matter how competent that person really is. This isn't to say I think the guy's incompetent because I don't.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

1. He created interleague play (admit it, baseball was getting STALE without it)

2. He added the Wild Card - Ummm awesome

3. He has implemented a very strict drug testing policy. If everyone here believes that steroids were running rampant in the 80's and 90's, which they were, why not point the finger at previous commissioners? Why weren't amphetimenes tested for 30 years ago? Or any PED, etc for that matter?

4. Baseball revenues are at an time high overall

Point the finger at Bud all you want, but many people act as if the commish can just willy nilly do whatever he. Every heard of collective Bargaining? The players Union? Come on. Get real.

skrip
The testing id not strict at all. Its actully a joke.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Bud Selig is one of the biggest turds around. Typical for a used car salesman. He should be held responsible for the deaths of 3 Ironworkers in the fatal collapse of the "Big Blue" crane.

Selig and his cronies pushed this project so much that they put the lives of workers in danger due to their completion schedule for Miller Park. My friend Joe Edwards was the operator of the crane inside the bowl that had the 3 Ironworkers in a man basket making the connections for the lift they where performing. I have had a couple of conversations with the operator, and he points to these jackasses including Selig, for the decisions to make the lift in 25-45 mph winds that day.

Selig was one of the owners responsible for the World Series being cancelled and the work stoppage that preceded this action. Then he bought up a lot of the outstanding shares of the team during the work stoppage.

Then Selig hood winked the residents of Southeastern Wisconsin to build him a new stadium at the public's expense, and then sold the team for a great profit.

F**k you Bud, you should be in jail.

Can you actually source any of this? Because it seems a little unreasonable that Bud Seelig would have been making decisions on that level (much less be there that day) during Big Blue's collapse. Second, I've met the man many times. And you're statement regarding him being a "typical used car salesman" couldn't be further from the truth.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Can you actually source any of this? Because it seems a little unreasonable that Bud Seelig would have been making decisions on that level (much less be there that day) during Big Blue's collapse. Second, I've met the man many times. And you're statement regarding him being a "typical used car salesman" couldn't be further from the truth.

I've met him also, he is a maximum turd. And as your comments about Selig being involved in the tragic lift that caused the death of 3 Ironworkers, you're blind to the situation.

Edit:

Check the facts about when the Bucks wanted to build a new arena back in the '80's around County Stadium. Selig was a real turd then also.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I've met him also, he is a maximum turd. And as your comments about Selig being involved in the tragic lift that caused the death of 3 Ironworkers, you're blind to the situation.

I'm sure there was preassure to finsh the job, there always is, and yeah the guys in suits always seem to worry about cost more than workers but this sounds almost silly. Certainly no one called Bud Selig that morning and told him it was his call whether or not they lifted that day. What with Bud's complete lack of knowledge regarding construction and what not. But yeah, lets just project the hurt of those families from a terrible accident on Alan H. Makes tons of sense. It was absolutely tragic, and I dont want to sound uncaring but like other greivences in this thread, people seem to want to be able to point the finger at one person, but its almost always more complicated than that

Last edited:

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Edit:

Check the facts about when the Bucks wanted to build a new arena back in the '80's around County Stadium. Selig was a real turd then also.

Facts are sourced. What you have is a bunch of hearsay. Can you source any of this? If so do so. If not, please check the definition of the word "fact".

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

1. He created interleague play (admit it, baseball was getting STALE without it)

2. He added the Wild Card - Ummm awesome

3. He has implemented a very strict drug testing policy. If everyone here believes that steroids were running rampant in the 80's and 90's, which they were, why not point the finger at previous commissioners? Why weren't amphetimenes tested for 30 years ago? Or any PED, etc for that matter?

4. Baseball revenues are at an time high overall

Point the finger at Bud all you want, but many people act as if the commish can just willy nilly do whatever he. Every heard of collective Bargaining? The players Union? Come on. Get real.

skrip

I hate Bud.

Negatives > Positives.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
"I think what Mark McGwire has accomplished is so remarkable, and he has handled it all so beautifully, we want to do everything we can to enjoy a great moment in baseball history."
- Allen H. Selig from Aug. 24, 1998 addressing the "Chase for 62"

“The use of steroids and amphetamines amongst today’s players has greatly subsided and is virtually non-existent as our testing results have shown. The so-called “steroid era” – a reference that is resented by the many players who played in that era and never touched the substances – is clearly a thing of the past, and Mark’s admission today is another step in the right direction.”
- Allen H. Selig from January 11, 2010 in a statement addressing McGwire's semi-admission

Selig is either a naive moron or a perpetual liar...considering his $22 million a year salary...I'm going to go with perpetual liar.

Now, I'm not bitter enough to not see some of the discussions of positives in his tenure as commish (acting and full-term), but if the voters are holding the players to different standards than Selig...I have a major problem with that.

I actually think Selig will get into the Hall of Fame, and that's troubling on two accounts. First is my belief that he (and all of the owners) has to shoulder some of the "Steroid Era" blame. Second is that the same wrtiers who are now greatly distancing themselves from their own blind eyes about usage are voting.

Baseball hasn't ever been "clean" and won't ever be clean. Acknowledge that...and we'll be in a much better place.

Members online

Latest posts