Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could you clear coat memorabilia to preserve the autograph (bats, helmets, etc.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
Much of my collection has expanded into autographed memorabilia. As I browse eBay it's depressing to see time take a toll on the ink signatures on many pieces. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried an automotive-type clear coat preservation? Or is that ridiculous and paranoid LOL.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Not recommended. I know people used to varnish signed balls, but I'm dubious of all that stuff over time. Keep your stuff in a closet most fo the time and it should be fine.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
So this is just my two cents.

I am 100% confidant in Krylon lacquer. The non-matte formula (you want the clear stuff)

There was a time when lacquering a ball would yellow, but I actually emailed the Krylon people and had a nice talk with a lady who explained that the newer formula does not do that anymore...I think it even says "non-yellowing" on the can.

There are some rules: shake the hell out of the bottle, and only dust it with a light coat.

I live in Hawaii, and the humidity started killing a bunch of my OMLB balls. I sold the ones that had bled, but the ones that were still fine I scrambled for a fix on. I sprayed a couple to test, and that first batch has held up 100%.

An example:

I got this ball signed on 01 June, 2002. Royals v. Rangers in KC (my first Major League autographing experience)

photo-e1421266319291.jpg

Good news was that I was able to get A-Rod, and on an OMLB. The bad news was that he signed it with a blue sharpie. And, as you know, baseballs signed in sharpie do not have a long shelf life--they bleed and fade terrible.

So I hit this ball in 2004 with the Krylong clear coat lacquer...and as you can see...it still looks like the day that I got it, even 10 years after the application of the Krylon. And I have a bunch more that I hit up, and they look awesome. Perfect as the day that I got them.

I really do believe that it works, as long as you are careful with the application (shake well, light dusting).

Some disagree, and I totally understand. But from first hand experience it has worked like a charm on my items.

DO NOT TRY THIS ON BATS THOUGH. I did. It was a disaster.

That said.

I do agree with the above poster that keeping them out of light and free of really high humdity should be your first line of defense...but the problem is that sometimes no matter what you do a ball with bleed/fade. Its stupid. Couple years ago I got two balls signed by Jason Kipnis. Both OMLB, both with the same pen. One has held up great, the other bled...no reason. That is why I like the spray.

I would give it a try. Find a crappy signed ball, test it, see what you think.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Much of my collection has expanded into autographed memorabilia. As I browse eBay it's depressing to see time take a toll on the ink signatures on many pieces. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried an automotive-type clear coat preservation? Or is that ridiculous and paranoid LOL.

Based on your sig and your avator, it seems like you're into collecting certified autos from card companies. If so, absolutely do not try any of those products.
For hobby cards you really only see this happening to signed balls that use cheap, crappy, ink pens and since then card companies have learned from their mistake and use the proper signing tools - they've made the card canvas more inviting for on-card autos and sticker autos have always been ok. For those signed ball products, I still don't fully trust those but I have seen much less fading post those Sweet Spot products.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Based on your sig and your avator, it seems like you're into collecting certified autos from card companies. If so, absolutely do not try any of those products.
For hobby cards you really only see this happening to signed balls that use cheap, crappy, ink pens and since then card companies have learned from their mistake and use the proper signing tools - they've made the card canvas more inviting for on-card autos and sticker autos have always been ok. For those signed ball products, I still don't fully trust those but I have seen much less fading post those Sweet Spot products.

Oh...yea...I assumed this was just for baseballs. For cards...just keeping them out of the light is really the most important thing. And also making sure you are using quality storage products--Ultra-pro. Dont want cheap, oily plastics.

Sometimes you just get unlucky, but if you do the above you should be OK.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
So this is just my two cents.

I am 100% confidant in Krylon lacquer. The non-matte formula (you want the clear stuff)

That's pretty impressive results. I'll have to experiment with some non-essential baseballs.

I'm speaking solely of memorabilia (bats, balls, etc.). I'll typically encapsulate any card I'm concerned with, but time will tell whether these companies preservation claims hold true.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
To me it seems like clear-coating a ball to preserve the signature would be like laminating a card to protect it. I don't think I'd do it, but then again I don't collect auto'ed balls. The one I have stays in the original tissue paper and box it came in.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
To me it seems like clear-coating a ball to preserve the signature would be like laminating a card to protect it. I don't think I'd do it, but then again I don't collect auto'ed balls. The one I have stays in the original tissue paper and box it came in.

I totally understand why you would think that, but once you try it you don't even notice it. Its awesome. Its not like a hard lacquer or anything. I was really leery of it at first too.

Members online

Latest posts