Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collecting by position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
In football, QB's are the natural attraction. What about baseball?

I get collecting starting pitchers;
But do relievers get any hobby love?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
In football, QB's are the natural attraction. What about baseball?

I get collecting starting pitchers;
But do relievers get any hobby love?

Mariano thats about it.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The career of the average reliever is so short, there's rarely time to garner a loyal fan following. How many times do you see a closer come from relative obscurity, have a massive seasons or two, then almost immediately wash out of the game? Where are Chris Ray and Kerry Ligtenberg now (just to name a few wash-out closers from recent memory)? The relievers players care about are the few who stay at a dominant level for long stretches, and those barely exist.

And if they happen to pay for an unpopular team? Forget it. Papelbon and Rivera will always have a fanbase because of where they played, but a guy like Joakim Soria, who was lights out for a few years, his stuff sits in common boxes forever. I collect Bruce Sutter, and I can find almost anything I want of his for next to nothing, and he's a HOF closer.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To answer your question, not really. But I think a lot of folks collect a guys cards despite them getting hobby love. I've got a pretty big chunk of Brad Lidge and Chad Qualls stuff.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Back in the day, I was a committee of one who focused solely on southpaw pitchers. When you wait months to find a nice Dave McNally or Randy Myers item, you know you're a diehard.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Its just funny.
Relievers can be HOF.
Relievers can save games.
But almost none are remembered or honored by collectors.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
yeah relievers are very very affordable, Bacon hits the nail right on the head when he says most catch 2 year fire and burn out. Even Trevor Hoffman type guys wont cost you that much.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well to be honest there have been pretty good starting pitchers who didn't cost that much either. Just depends on the team they play for.

Latest posts