Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow... explain THIS Topps!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Ex-managment's response: "yup"

Still waiting on the president to chime in. I don't expect a response there, but who knows.

Kevin

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
@unique, no they didn't and haven't been doing what they say they will. It's like playing the lottery and winning just to find out what you won may be different than what was originally advertised or you may not get anything at all. I don't see how they are living up to this. Now, it can be argued that they reserve the right to offer an alternate card. Ok, fine, take they argument away. Now we are back to the original problem of them including stuff on the sell sheet that never gets made due to whatever reason.

And like I've posted before, with these new bastardized cards they are sending out as replacements(the ones from no particular product), whereas before they at least had to have a card from a product to give you, one they made to send out for actual redemptions or replacements, now they can literally run off a slew of these and intentionally decide not to create cards whether they get the stickers or autos back or not. Is they all we will get now? Made up cards?

And yes I agree panini isn't a model of greatness. Should that take away from what we have said about topps? Does it lighten the blow or irritation?

Yes, you're describing how redemptions work and always have worked here - but this doesn't mean that manufacturers aren't doing or aren't trying to do what they said they'd do.

Nobody's been able to prove that manufacturers haven't made a good faith effort to keep to their checklists - and people here generally understand that checklists change due to forces beyond a manufacturer's control.

Pointing out the obvious: Manufacturers try to make what people want/demand - and people want/demand complicated things that are sometimes hard to produce or encounter difficulty during the production process... thus redemptions. Lessen the demand for these items and there will be less redemptions to worry about and fewer problems - so sure, everyone should vote with their wallets by not wanting/buying complicated cards to produce if they want to stop redemptions!

Last edited:

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Unique is on a totally different wavelength here, which is fine.

As a paying customer though, I deserve to be treated better than this. Keeping me waiting for 3 years and then pulling a screw job like this? Unacceptable.

In that three year period, they could AT LEAST contacted me with a list of possible replacements. If you request a Topps replacement, you have NO IDEA what you'll end up with. Hell, could be a different sport.

The fact is, they just don't try to make the customer happy, and that is no way to run a business. And yes, they are a business.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I understand sometimes there must be redemptions. but with topps they equal a kick in your junk. so I am suppose to like that???? they don't care.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Everyone has about said what they want to say here. The next logical step is to create a petition thread that lists all whom refuse to buy Topps until XYZ policies are solved. If you choose to do this OP I would recommend a few categories such as- user name, first name last initial, # of years in hobby, and # of times with bad redemption experience (1, several, or word of mouth) Just getting angry isn't enough alone, best of luck. :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Everyone has about said what they want to say here. The next logical step is to create a petition thread that lists all whom refuse to buy Topps until XYZ policies are solved. If you choose to do this OP I would recommend a few categories such as- user name, first name last initial, # of years in hobby, and # of times with bad redemption experience (1, several, or word of mouth) Just getting angry isn't enough alone, best of luck. :)

Wouldn't it be unreal to be able to see how large of a list Topps has for outstanding redemptions?!?! We should just start a thread and list them all in chronological order in the OP. I bet this board has hundreds of outstanding redemptions. I'd also only list one for each, not list the same one over and over. Would be interesting to know how long it gets. Would need said member to update us when it's redeemed too.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Question I thought of from the new thread of how many 1+ year redemptions guys have...

Is there something in the small print about what happens of the guy you're waiting for dies? Seems like they have these redemptions all buttoned up, so if the guy were to die before fulfilling the redemption, what happens?

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It's just con-men, liars, fakers, etc. anymore.

yep, since 1989! ;)

as for class action, I like the idea but don't like how it will be resolved . People of the class get screwed (I would be surprised if everyone in the class got 25 cents per redemption) and the lawyers end up making millions of dollars.

small claims or local courts sound good, but who has redemptions valuable enough to make that avenue worth doing? I have 2 redemptions pending but not enough value to pay for court costs, any reward if I win and the effort of collecting the judgement from a deadbeat Topps.

Considering Topps is privately owned, I wonder if a lot of this junk going on with them is due to being private and thus to maximize the profit of the stakeholders by doing things on the cheap and hiring people for as cheap as possible.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
yep, since 1989! ;)

as for class action, I like the idea but don't like how it will be resolved . People of the class get screwed (I would be surprised if everyone in the class got 25 cents per redemption) and the lawyers end up making millions of dollars.

small claims or local courts sound good, but who has redemptions valuable enough to make that avenue worth doing? I have 2 redemptions pending but not enough value to pay for court costs, any reward if I win and the effort of collecting the judgement from a deadbeat Topps.

Considering Topps is privately owned, I wonder if a lot of this junk going on with them is due to being private and thus to maximize the profit of the stakeholders by doing things on the cheap and hiring people for as cheap as possible.

Cheap. Is the main word.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
yep, since 1989! ;)

I think the idea of a class action lawsuit is more about the idea than any real tangible victory money wise. It would certainly be a turd in their punch bowl and it would make them think twice before pulling any more of their crap. Yes they'll just find a new avenue to pull crap from there on, but at least they no longer have the option to kick back and do what they're doing now.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I wonder what is the rough % of redemptions that actually get sent in the first place. No where near 100% of any product is opened in the first 1.5 years or however big of a redeem window you have.

Oh, and I think its funny how we have to get it mailed in by X date but they can wait 5+ years if they feel like it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I wonder what is the rough % of redemptions that actually get sent in the first place. No where near 100% of any product is opened in the first 1.5 years or however big of a redeem window you have.

Oh, and I think its funny how we have to get it mailed in by X date but they can wait 5+ years if they feel like it.

Makes you think.... last night a number of us did a box break of 33 different boxes from the '90s and early '00s... that would be a death wish to do 10 years from now, doing a bunch of boxes from the late 2000s or early 2010s... you'd get A TON of redemption that are all expired. Forget about it :lol:

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Makes you think.... last night a number of us did a box break of 33 different boxes from the '90s and early '00s... that would be a death wish to do 10 years from now, doing a bunch of boxes from the late 2000s or early 2010s... you'd get A TON of redemption that are all expired. Forget about it :lol:

yep, 2019 will have no old school 2013 box breaks... which Topps loves as you will probably just buy 2019 Topps Tripleredeem Threads and other popular Topps products of the future :rolleyes:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was about to say there is a chance they test using base/common inserts as redemptions just to check how many people actually bother phoning in for commons.

It would really be a test to see how far we all will go to continue to deal with their sh!t :lol:

I can just see Topps Exec's sitting around a table brain storming and saying "Hey, I've got a great idea! Lets put out a release which is 100% redemptions... for base, inserts, etc. Don't worry, they'll still come and buy buy buy! Just make the sell sheet look REALLY nice. O and make sure our lawyers have the small print all updated :lol: "

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
It would really be a test to see how far we all will go to continue to deal with their sh!t :lol:

I can just see Topps Exec's sitting around a table brain storming and saying "Hey, I've got a great idea! Lets put out a release which is 100% redemptions... for base, inserts, etc. Don't worry, they'll still come and buy buy buy! Just make the sell sheet look REALLY nice. O and make sure our lawyers have the small print all updated :lol: "

You're thinking of the new product called "Topps Mailday" which hits shelves in early '14. ;)

Members online

Latest posts