Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 13: Ashburn Alley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thanks again for Greg being part of this weeks Collector's Corner Showcase ! I had no idea, I think, that you were 1/2 Filipino, so I learned something as well ! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas !!!

Gregory C. Masi Jr aka Ashburn Alley

Age 32
Half Filipino and half Italian/Polish
I collect Transformers, new and old, though I've slowed down a lot because of a lack of space.
Recent graduate of the Philadelphia Fire Academy, class 189.

1) When did you start collecting _______ and why do you collect ______ ?

Like most people, I started when I was young. I remember my dad taking me to shows to look for cheap Phillies cards and to get free autos from players. We also had at least 3 card shops within walking distance in my neighborhood. My first "job" was a paper route in which I would strategically end my route at one of the stores, Hall of Fame sports cards (R.I.P.). I spent hours there talking to the owner. I stopped collecting around the time I started high school in 1996, and didn't start back up until 2007.

The reason I collect is because it's still fun to me. It's a link to my childhood that I hope to one day share with my children once my wife and I decide that we are ready to be parents.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?

I suppose it was getting back into the hobby back in 2007. My buddy got back into the hobby a little before me with the whole Alex Gordon Topps RC in retail craze. I started tagging along when he would hunt for blasters and he eventually he showed me his collection. I was amazed at how far cards had come since I stopped collecting. He showed me one card and I was hooked:

Philles_TTT.jpg

Of course I bought my own copy and that started my hobby return. I always loved the Phillies and Darren Daulton so it was obvious what my focus was going to be. I still had my cards from when I was a kid so I had a nice collection to start with.

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point ?

The high point for me is definitely now. There are so many cards that I can collect, that I don't know if I'll get bored anytime soon. The internet has made acquiring cards sooo much easier than when I was collecting back in the 90s.

The low point was when I stopped collecting in the late 90s. I remember being overwhelmed with all of the different choices out there. I couldn't afford to collect it all and I was too young to decide on only certain sets/brands to collect. It probably didn't help that I was about to start high school in the coming years.

It's funny how too many choices soured me back when I was a kid, but also keeps me interested now as an adult.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

Honestly, I can't recall a deal that I let slip through the cracks that I now regret...maybe a couple of Daulton's that I lost out on on eBay. A printing plate came up and I remember it going for $200+. At the time I said "no way" but it was the 1st time I saw a plate of his and I haven't seen one since. Maybe I'll get the next one...

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

Wow...too many to list. The 2007 Triple Threads listed above to start. Here are a couple more of my favorites:

Some Daulton's:

1989AqueousTest1.jpg
1989AqueousTest2.jpg

1993FinestRefractor.jpg

A little of everything else:
Westbrook2009Exquisite.jpg

Villanova_Westbrook_Black.jpg

Cunningham_Exquiste.jpg

PacquiaoAutoTripleThreads.jpg

PacquiaoautoTier1.jpg

PacquiaoautoMarquee.jpg

Griffey_09_Sweet.jpg

Woods_Tiger2012InkedDrivers_zps48e50f8e.jpg

Cullen_auto.jpg

And my all time favorites:
Kalas_Sweet.jpg

Ashburn2007SweetSpot_zps4bc3575f.jpg

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?

My wife is cool with me collecting. She is more into my Transformers collecting since she is a comic nerd and doesn't follow sports too much (though she claims she is a Flyers fan!) She understands that its a hobby and that I can put it aside if needed.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

Surprisingly, Darren Daulton has a lot of low numbered autos from the 2004 Donruss Recollection set. I haven't even seen most of them so I don't know if they even exist outside of Beckett listing them. Hopefully by the time this interview is posted, another rare Daulton card that is coming my way will be in my possession. To be continued...

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them).

I met Darren Daulton right after he was traded to the Marlins in 1997 (for Billy McMillon). Florida came to the Vet in late September and my dad knew someone to get us down near the locker rooms. It was a great experience. I remember him coming out of the locker room and walking towards us. I was star struck and my mom started to cry for no good reason haha. I had my picture taken with him, and then wished him good luck in the playoffs. My dad sent the photo to him, and he returned it autographed. It was a great day for sure.

MeetingDaulton_zps8e3e58f3.jpg

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

Haha. The term "mojo" and people quoting "book value" grind my gears. I respect people looking to make a buck off buying/selling, hell, I even do it from time to time, but it's much easier and enjoyable to me just to collect because I enjoy the hobby.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

Outlets like eBay and COMC have only helped my collection. I have found countless cards that I wouldn't be able to find locally. I even find things that I never new existed like a certified Dale Murphy auto in a Phillies uniform.

FCB is the only forum I actively post in, and the members here have been great in helping my collection. In fact, I was able to pick up a Ryan Howard 2013 Archives relic from the Free to a Good Home thread as I was answering these questions. Thanks [MENTION=10018]BenG76[/MENTION]!
11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

I'm not really sure. Like I mentioned earlier, a Daulton printing plate sold for $200+ and a a couple of 2013 Topps Archives triple autos of Daulton/Bowa/Samuel #/10 also went for $190+. I don't know if the winners were Daulton collectors, general Phillies collectors, or one of those crazy set collectors I hear so much about.

Because of smart phones and tablets, I check eBay daily to see if any new Daultons have been posted.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

Nah. I did start to have thoughts of what would happen to my collection if something were to happen to me on the job. My wife wouldn't know where to start if she wanted to liquidate it. Hopefully, she won't have to worry about it, or I'll have children that my collection could get passed down to if the unfortunate did occur.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

There are a lot of great members on FCB who give unconditionally, and I think that's great. It shows that there are people in the hobby who truly care about their fellow collector, and will help them with their collection anyway they can. I'm glad I'm part of this community.

Thank you Dave for giving me the opportunity to introduce myself officially. I joined back in 2008 but mostly lurked until last year. I'm slowly making friends here and would like to make some more. Long live FCB
!!!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Great group of guys you've been doing lately, I might not comment on all of them l, but I read them all, great stuff!

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Nice stuff [MENTION=2196]Ashburn Alley[/MENTION]! Love the Philly TTT card.

Thanks for doing it [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION]---great as always.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Good stuff! I always get a chuckle when I see the "Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection?" question. Most of us are past the point of no return. :D

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Great interview and it helps to put the reality behind the forum screen name.

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts