Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP MR CUB ERNIE BANKS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
What a class act.

Amazing to see his 500th HR, and by the time he is in the dugout for the curtain call he already has the ball.
Shows how much he was loved as well as how times have changed!

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Besides hockey players and Mark Grace, Banks was the only Chicago athlete I ever had any affinity for.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Just picked these up. eBay here they come :p
Not....... I got them for some of the guys on here.

Attachments

• 1422117892024.jpg
    1422117892024.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1422117911623.jpg
    1422117911623.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
Just picked these up. eBay here they come :p
Not I go them for some of the guys on here.

Tis a sad day indeed. Such a great guy and great for baseball. My mom was crying this morning when I called her to say hi. [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION] Any chance I could pay you to send me a copy of both for her?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Tis a sad day indeed. Such a great guy and great for baseball. My mom was crying this morning when I called her to say hi. [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION] Any chance I could pay you to send me a copy of both for her?

I'll see what is left on these since
Jeff Indymanning18 has dibs on the 5 Tribunes and 5 times.

I'm heading out soon I'll look for more of them

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Morning!

Anyone have a Banks auto they are willing to trade for a Musial Team Topps auto? I'm not looking for pack-issued, in specific. Just anything. ($50 value, or so)

Musial is like this one:
View attachment 45446

Morning all,
Sweet Musial adam. That's one of the first Musial autos I was looking at back in the day.

Saddened to hear of Mr. CUBS passing. While I didn't get to see him play I've seen footage and read some great stuff. Everyone seemed to love the man and looked up to him. A true pillar of the baseball community
163c293d-bad5-48f4-8cd7-c233cbe34af2.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

What was the deal with Ernie in 1970? This clip said he entered the season needing 3 HR to get to 500 and it took him until Mid-May? Was he suffering age-declined skills such as power hitting or was he on the DL a lot in 1970 or...? I would think being a power hitter, he should have been able to knock out those 3 homers in less than a month even if he got off to a bad start unless he just wasn't the power hitter anymore or was often injured.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
What was the deal with Ernie in 1970? This clip said he entered the season needing 3 HR to get to 500 and it took him until Mid-May? Was he suffering age-declined skills such as power hitting or was he on the DL a lot in 1970 or...? I would think being a power hitter, he should have been able to knock out those 3 homers in less than a month even if he got off to a bad start unless he just wasn't the power hitter anymore or was often injured.

Ernie was in his late thirties and really was just simply in decline as a hitter. He retired shortly thereafter.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

Ernie was in his late thirties and really was just simply in decline as a hitter. He retired shortly thereafter.

He played in just 72 games in 1970 and 39 in his last season of 1971.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I actually just got one. Hard to beat for under $8. I went ahead and got my 4 year old son two Topps shirts as well, for just $5 each. Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. It's a great sale with much of the apparel at 80 percent off. I dropped a good bit of money last night on Cubs shirts. You can get the Archives memorabilia boxes for $20. Felt pennants, mini patch sets, and button sets are only $2.50.

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Ernie Banks was a 100% class act on and off the field. I liken him to the Stan Musial of the Cubs. The eternal face of the franchise. And through much tougher adversity than Musial ever had to deal with, Ernie showed as much poise and class as Stan did throughout their careers.

There's a reason he is called Mr. Cub. He deserves it.

My condolences to Cubs fans everywhere. I know exactly how you're feeling.

A great and apt comparison between Ernie Banks and Stan Musial. Both men meant so much to their teams and their cities, and both were the sort of man that everyone loved, that always treated everyone they met well, and that you hope your kids have as their sports heroes.

Members online