Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cubs News - Sveum Fired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
well, is "news" defined as something that happens even if you expect it? ;)

Today, Chicago's loss made it official that the Cubs will miss the playoffs again - eliminated from the wildcard race. They were eliminated from the division race a day or two ago. Cubs join Astros
and Marlins as officially eliminated from both the wildcard races and division races.

They are already guaranteed a losing record, too, but that was not clinched today.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Cubs news

Castro has been awful this year. I'd be surprised if he isn't moved before or during next season. At least they'll get another high draft pick.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Cubs news

I'm hoping he has a better year next year and they keep him, but if he is terrible again, hopefully he gets hot for a month and they can get some good value for him.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Chi-town is now 0-2 in going to the playoffs - white sox eliminated from the AL Wildcard race.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think they should keep the young nucleus of talent together...with the guys they have working through the Minors right now, they could be a legit contender within the next 2-4 years. Hitting is contagious... I feel that if these top prospects (Baez/Olt/Almora/Soler/Bryant) come up and start hitting and having fun and loosening the attitude, Castro and Rizzo's numbers will stabilize as well, especially when there are more dangerous hitters throughout the lineup so pitchers will have to challenge Castro and Rizzo.

The question is how good will the prospects be when they make it to Wrigley. It's nice to have 4 of the top 25 and 5 of the top 40, but it's assuming a lot to think they'll all reach their full advertised potential.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Insiders around here say management asked Castro to see more pitches this year. Castro in his first year was a "see ball / hit ball" type of hitter, and taking pitches messed with his natural approach.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
It has to be very frustrating to be a Cubs fan. And a player. Someone said earlier about Castro maybe being an unmotivated player on a bad team. And I could see that being the case with him. It seemed like Soriano was feeling the same way. Just there collecting a paycheck because he knows the team isn't going anywhere even if he hits 60 home runs and steals 50 bases with 160 rbi's.

I have many friends that are Cubs fans, and one day the Cubs will be good, and I'll be happy for my friends. But on the other hand I'll probably want to crack my skull on a brick wall, because where I live, there is nothing worse than when the Cubs are doing well, because they just don't shut up about it. But I guess I understand it, because for them, at this point, beating the Cardinals in one game is actually a big deal to them, which honestly I find to be a sad thing. That being said, I know I have been spoiled being a Cardinals fan for many years now. And one day the Cardinals will have some down seasons as well. And I'll have to endure.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Cubs news

I can officially go back to actively rooting against the Cubs at my Dale Sveum shrine :)

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Man, what a steady and rapid decline from 2008 to now...

On the bright side, they avoided losing 100 games this year!

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL

Team didn't have much talent, but played even worse than their talent indicated. Should have won 75 games this year. All the young players are stagnant or regressing and they gave up late in the season both years. Sveum deserved to be let go.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using the FCB mobile app.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Team didn't have much talent, but played even worse than their talent indicated. Should have won 75 games this year. All the young players are stagnant or regressing and they gave up late in the season both years. Sveum deserved to be let go.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using the FCB mobile app.

While I think he never stood a chance from the start, I agree. If you're going to survive rebuilding years you can't allow the team to quit in August regardless of record

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
After only 2 years? Was he really that bad? Did Theo make a bad decision?

You trade away most of your major talent and you hold the manager accountable? Maybe he wasn't able to motivate the players or maybe he just didn't have that it takes to be a manager.... but if he was half way decent at either one... how can you let him go after going through the rebuilding process?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
After only 2 years? Was he really that bad? Did Theo make a bad decision?

You trade away most of your major talent and you hold the manager accountable? Maybe he wasn't able to motivate the players or maybe he just didn't have that it takes to be a manager.... but if he was half way decent at either one... how can you let him go after going through the rebuilding process?

I think the main reason for the firing was the regression of both Rizzo and Castro. Not that I believe it is his fault. time to move on. I will also say that the Cubs were NOT playing that bad before they started to unload players. Around mid season they were only 6-7 games under .500 which was a major success. What do you expect will happen when you trade off 5-6 contributing players? The question now is, who are they going to bring in? I know Girardi is the hot name, any other big names out there worth pursuing?

Members online