Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derek Jeter HR Ball - Help with value? Tough to authenticate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I had a similar thread two years ago and got some really good thoughts and advice. Thought I'd share the story again for those who do not know but also see if there any additional information I can use because I'm starting to get the itch to actually authenticate the ball and maybe sell it if it had some value but I'm probably leaning towards keeping it still :)

On Sunday, September 19, 1999, Derek Jeter hit a HR at Jacob's Field (at the time that's what it was called) in Cleveland and I was the lucky fan who ended up with the ball on a one (or two) hop on the HR porch in left field. At the time I was 15 years old and Jeter wasn't a sure fire HOF yet and I didn't really know what I had other than a cool HR ball of the enemy. Looking it up now, it was Jeter's 24th HR of the year and 64th HR of his career. I can't seem to quickly figure out what career hit it was but o well.

That all said, I have the ball still and I also have the ticket stub from the game and the MLB also sent me the footage from the entire game including the HR itself. Unfortunately it's not HD (duh, it was 1999) and since it was hit into the crowded HR porch, it's not like it was in the stands and caught it with a glove clear as day lol. I asked my Mom and Dad but they don't have any pictures from the game with me and the ball or anything but thought that'd be great to have as well. Again, before iPhones and everyone having a camera phone or there would probably be 100's of pictures or something.

This all said, I did catch the ball, I have it today and it's a pretty cool item that I've always thought was a cool conversation starter - it actually is in my office and every time clients or other employees come in, they ask me about it.

Anyways, got me thinking...

Any idea on value now vs. with it being authenticated, I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Given the information I have about the game, ball, event and physical items like ticket stub, video footage, etc. - the likelihood I could actually get it authenticated? Would it be through the MLB or PSA or something?

Thanks guys - Pictures of the ball will be added in the next post via my iPhone :)

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
No one authenticates game used balls, especially after the fact. And while I buy your story sadly that does little for the value. To a collector of Jeter stuff who trusted you I guess it would have some value. But not much. Sadly anyone can catch a foul ball or BP ball and call it the same HR ball.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No one authenticates game used balls, especially after the fact. And while I buy your story sadly that does little for the value. To a collector of Jeter stuff who trusted you I guess it would have some value. But not much. Sadly anyone can catch a foul ball or BP ball and call it the same HR ball.

Hmmm that's too bad and thought that might be the case. So there is nowhere to try and authenticate?

If this is true and there is zero chance to authenticate, then I'm sure no one will believe me lol. So therefore it has next to no value. Sounds like I'll be keeping it and it won't be headed out...

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
We bought the Josh Hamilton HR Ball from Game 6 of the 2011 World Series from a guy, had David Freese not had his heroics that ball would have been the game winner to give Texas their first WS Championship. With that said when we bought it the guy had a letter saying that he was the one who caught it blah blah blah which he then had notorized he sent us copies of his drivers licence, and all kinds of stuff. We are talking a fairly historic ball though in my case. I would guess at most a Jeter HR non MLB authenticated would be 500 dollars or so, so maybe not worth the effort?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Haha just to be clear gents, I 100% understand that if I can not get it MLB or otherwise authenticated then it's next to not valuable because someone would have to take my word for it. O well I guess. That's the world we live in but that's OK. I honestly love owning the ball and it's cool to think I caught and have possession of a HOF players HR ball, etc.

Anyways, open for more comments, etc but just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that I'm not crazy, I know what I'm up against. Wishful thinking I guess.

---

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I do have to laugh though. Reminds me of the thread of the guy who collected IP autos and had like 100 and sent them all in to PSA or whatever to get authenticated. We took bets on how many came back as not authentic and it was a good handful, which is just funny.

---

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just curious, if this had a MLB sticker and was authenticated as the HR ball, what would it's value be? Hypothetically obviously. Just curious what people think.

---

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Look at some of the "historic" baseballs that predated authentication and holograms--they were mostly sold with the same kind of "proof"

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Just curious, if this had a MLB sticker and was authenticated as the HR ball, what would it's value be? Hypothetically obviously. Just curious what people think.

---

I see a Pujols 200 hr signed with holo sitting unsold for 1200 on ebay.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
If you are trying to sell it, you have to make the buyer believe you, and you have to establish "provenance," the chronology of the ownership, custody or location of a historical object. I think your ball could have some value if you do so. Type out a letter detailing the entire play. Pitcher, count, inning, where you were sitting, who was with you, how you caught it, etc. The video should help you recall these details. Specific details will make the buyer more believing and comfortable with your story. If your parents were there with you, have them sign a typed note saying they were witnesses and verify your story.

I have a Sammy Sosa foul ball I got in the 1998 season. I cut out the boxscore and typed up a summary of the situation and keep it and the ticket stub with the ball. Not something I would try to sell, but having a record of it helps.

I've only purchased one HR ball, but it came with an impeccable provenance. The letter and the ball inscription convinced me. Of course, easy to take the word of a well respected Major League umpire. But if your ball had something similar with it, along with the ticket stub and a letter from a witness, I'd think it could sell for a couple hundred.

homerunball.jpg

merrillletter.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - Good idea, I'm going to do this. If for nothing else, just to record everything down on paper and all the details, etc. As I've said, I want to keep the ball and it's worth more to me than probably what I could get for it anyways but just cool to think of how iconic Jeter is and/or will be after he is in the HOF and to have caught one of his HR balls is just pretty cool.

It does sound like even if it was 100% proven and you could hang your hat on it being authentic and not just taking my word for it, it's probably worth less than $1k just from what [MENTION=2399]nyc3[/MENTION] said above. Not sure I'd sell it for $1k but it would be hard to look the other way if it were cash lol

Thanks guys for the comments, pretty cool!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
It does sound like even if it was 100% proven and you could hang your hat on it being authentic and not just taking my word for it, it's probably worth less than $1k just from what @nyc3 said above. Not sure I'd sell it for $1k but it would be hard to look the other way if it were cash lol

Thanks guys for the comments, pretty cool!

With how popular Jeter is right now I could see an MLB authenticated home run ball selling for over $2000. Maybe 3K. Authenticated home run balls are very, very rare and Jeter only hit 258. They didn't even have the MLB authentication system in 1999.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
With how popular Jeter is right now I could see an MLB authenticated home run ball selling for over $2000. Maybe 3K. Authenticated home run balls are very, very rare and Jeter only hit 258. They didn't even have the MLB authentication system in 1999.
Yea, I could agree with you here when it comes to his popularity and also that he didn't hit as many HRs as other big HR hitter players.

Members online