Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Prospect Rush" is live.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect Rush

Sep 9, 2011
Canada
If he is doubling, that's not a great buy.. On $185 cost buyback leaf items, our cost to make is 150.00!!!!

There is a place for this in the market. At a tight margin, customers love the opportunity to gamble a bit with solid valued pulls.

It's not for everyone. But, over the years I've come to the conclusion that the hobby dollar will be the deciding vote. What scares me is these "new" entrants have no accountability and no real "skins in the game"..

Leaf does $20mil per year in sales (only $1 million or so in buybacks).. I can confidently say that we are easily the company in this part of the market which is (a) most financially solid and (b) most invested in the business long term..

BG

Brian,

Thanks for chiming in. You are correct in your statements, it will take us quite a few releases to get a hold even in the tiny niche market we have entered into. Hopefully we can chat at the Summit.

Just to clear this up, we are NOT doubling our money. My margin is almost exactly as Leaf stated above, and we have no where near the print run.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I actually applaud [MENTION=6578]Prospect Rush[/MENTION] for putting a product like this together.

Most of you complain that companies put out the same garbage year-in and year-out and that you never have a decent chance at a big hit.

Sure, the buy-in a lot higher than a $4 pack at your LCS. But let's look at some quick math:

In 2012 Bowman Chrome the odds of hitting a Superfractor Autograph is 1:32500 packs, roughly 1:1800 boxes. At $70 a box, you are looking at $126,000.

In Prospect Rush you have a 1:500 chance of hitting a Superfractor Auto. At $195 a box, you are looking at $97,500.

Granted, the math is a little flawed with the Prospect Rush as there are multiple Superfractor inserted in that 500 box run, compared to the Bowman Chrome - chances are there are not.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Brian,

Thanks for chiming in. You are correct in your statements, it will take us quite a few releases to get a hold even in the tiny niche market we have entered into. Hopefully we can chat at the Summit.

Just to clear this up, we are NOT doubling our money. My margin is almost exactly as Leaf stated above, and we have no where near the print run.

Hey, I wish you the best. Hopefully, in time, you will build the trust/reputation that will allow customers to have confidence the product is fair..

I do wish you luck. The card market is far tougher than anyone thinks and consumers are very hard to win over.

BG

ozzy

Aug 9, 2008
Are you kidding me?

Jesus, it's like you WANT to argue about something that's completely irrelevant. Who the XXXX cares? The bottom line is that this industry is shady. Period. Anyone who's been it 4 years or 30 years or 3 minutes can tell that.

Irony is a lawyer crying about a shady industry.

soakley123

Aug 16, 2010
Little Rock, AR
I love baseball and he doesn't make a baseball product in my view (though I spoke nothing of his intelligence or character).

You don't understand my argument? I guess I will slow it down for you: this is simply the most recent and most explicit result of what used to be a hobby about baseball devolving into straight gambling. Topps at least makes a baseball product through a relationship with the content. Lottery tickets at least benefit our parks and other public works. I don't see the positives of this product.

That is all. Simple enough for you this time?

the fact you don't understand that I understand EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING is my point...you don't like this entire genre of product, you just don't like the entire concept...well I don't collect UFC, or Hockey and really I don't even collect much football or basketball, but I don't go around slamming that entire concept because it isn't my thing, how can anyone take your insult towards his product serious when you said up front you were going to be blindly against it no matter what?

Brian, I have NO CLUE how much Will spent, I have no clue how much you guys, or Topps, Panini, etc spend. I appreciate everything that ALL OF YOU do. From the biggest company to the upstarts, as long as it's done legit and fairly then I'm all for giving the people what they want, even if it's not for me. I just took offense to people bad-mouthing the guy because in my little experience it seems to me like he could not have been more upfront about it all and appears to have busted his tail to try and make as many people happy as possible.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
the fact you don't understand that I understand EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING is my point...you don't like this entire genre of product, you just don't like the entire concept...well I don't collect UFC, or Hockey and really I don't even collect much football or basketball, but I don't go around slamming that entire concept because it isn't my thing, how can anyone take your insult towards his product serious when you said up front you were going to be blindly against it no matter what?

Brian, I have NO CLUE how much Will spent, I have no clue how much you guys, or Topps, Panini, etc spend. I appreciate everything that ALL OF YOU do. From the biggest company to the upstarts, as long as it's done legit and fairly then I'm all for giving the people what they want, even if it's not for me. I just took offense to people bad-mouthing the guy because in my little experience it seems to me like he could not have been more upfront about it all and appears to have busted his tail to try and make as many people happy as possible.

The Tubes Live - What Do You Want From Life good quality - YouTube

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

See, I would never slam anyone for collecting a sport, either. I just don't consider Prospect Rush to be a baseball product, and I don't see it being for collectors.

Further, I have not and would not "slam the guy." The makers of this product seem pretty damn intelligent and astute about what their customers want. But I can't call those customers "collectors," as every discussion about this product has revolved around ROI and nothing else.

I don't know if you remember 2005 Topps Pack Wars, but there were several people put off by the inclusion of 100 dollar bills as "hits" in that product. That to me was a brilliant display of what pack busting was becoming, and this product is the ultimate culmination of that change (I use the admittedly loaded term "devolution"). These days, very few would bat an eye at a 100 dollar bill included in a product. Most would yell "SICK!" into their webcam.

Again, at least lotto tickets contribute to public works.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I would like to go back on topic here and point out I have seen a few more breaks and this stuff is complete trash, people got burnt bad.

Also if the people on BO where so into this product why cant I find tons of breaks on their board?

Carry on.

Last edited:

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I would like to go back on topic here and point out I have seen a few more breaks and this stuff is complete trash, people got burnt bad.

Also if the people on BO where so into this product why cant I find tons of breaks on their board?

Carry on.

I still want to get a look at the checklist they said they released.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, when I read the comments espousing the benefits of a product like this, I realize that I am just not a part of that group.

I like getting base cards. I like sorting them and ordering them, and I even like going through every few years and deciding which to give/throw away. I like looking back at which players were 'insert worthy' and thinking 'oh man, I wish I knew i had this card 6 months ago'. I enjoy the physical act of opening packs and the thrill that comes from an unexpected hit. When I buy a box of a Topps or Panini product, I know that I am not going to get a high value card. Then, when I do, I am all the more thrilled because it is unexpected. I actually, strangely, develop a certain attachment to cards I pull over cards I buy. It is much harder for me to sell cards I pull because I open packs so rarely. This is doubly true for boxes I receive as gifts.

The target audience for items like this is folks that only look for hits out of boxes and think of buying wax as an expense and not an entertainment cost. Resale value of things I pull tends not to matter a lick to me, even when I buy prospect products. Prospect products allow me to create a whole new group of players to follow that I otherwise wouldn't. I really only rip and flip when I see retail products put out a few days early, and frankly as I live in the middle of nowhere, that is rare.

I don't look down on folks who like products like this a whole lot. I see that group as folks that see an avenue to make money but do not have the necessary start up capital or access to do it in the most efficient way. I don't see this as gambling per se. I see this as one group buying up many high end prospect cards and then controlling the manner of distribution, and folks realizing that the only access point is through the product, and buying for that reason. I think there is a gambling element, but the biggest aspect is access.

Bottom line: I don't open wax just to get big hits, and to some extent it never enters into my mind when I do. I can understand the streamlining argument--that this takes out the hassle of base cards taking up space and what not, and makes it more likely for you to hit a particular, desired card. However, it does not appeal to me.

What many folks don't realize is that products like this will be huge factors in the prospecting crash that is going to happen in the next few years. But that might be another tangent for another day.

Prospect Rush

Sep 9, 2011
Canada
I still want to get a look at the checklist they said they released.

Checklist has been listed on our Forum for about a week.

Carry on.

Interesting take. 14% of the product has been opened. 2 recent single box breaks have been posted on Blowout:

1) Mike Zunino Blue Ref Auto- 9.5/10 + a bonus auto.

2) Francisco Lindor Base Auto 9.5/10 + bonus Orange Ref.

If you consider that trash, I'll disagree, but thanks for your input.

You are not seeing a ton of box breaks on Blowout for a valid reason, most cases were sold to dealers. Not many single boxes were available.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
Checklist has been listed on our Forum for about a week.

Interesting take. 14% of the product has been opened. 2 recent single box breaks have been posted on Blowout:

1) Mike Zunino Blue Ref Auto- 9.5/10 + a bonus auto.

2) Francisco Lindor Base Auto 9.5/10 + bonus Orange Ref.

If you consider that trash, I'll disagree, but thanks for your input.

You are not seeing a ton of box breaks on Blowout for a valid reason, most cases were sold to dealers. Not many single boxes were available.

And the Lindor sells for $49, and unless he gets so hot that he is the next Mike Trout, that is not a $150-200 card no matter what way you try and spin it.

Prospect Rush

Sep 9, 2011
Canada
And the Lindor sells for $49, and unless he gets so hot that he is the next Mike Trout, that is not a $150-200 card no matter what way you try and spin it.

Spin it? Yes the Lindor is $50, upon call up $100+. I'm certain that most people understand every box can't have a $200 card in it. If they did you would have 0 shot at pulling $500+, $1000+, $2000+, and $4000+ cards.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Yeah, when I read the comments espousing the benefits of a product like this, I realize that I am just not a part of that group.

I like getting base cards. I like sorting them and ordering them, and I even like going through every few years and deciding which to give/throw away. I like looking back at which players were 'insert worthy' and thinking 'oh man, I wish I knew i had this card 6 months ago'. I enjoy the physical act of opening packs and the thrill that comes from an unexpected hit. When I buy a box of a Topps or Panini product, I know that I am not going to get a high value card. Then, when I do, I am all the more thrilled because it is unexpected. I actually, strangely, develop a certain attachment to cards I pull over cards I buy. It is much harder for me to sell cards I pull because I open packs so rarely. This is doubly true for boxes I receive as gifts.

The target audience for items like this is folks that only look for hits out of boxes and think of buying wax as an expense and not an entertainment cost. Resale value of things I pull tends not to matter a lick to me, even when I buy prospect products. Prospect products allow me to create a whole new group of players to follow that I otherwise wouldn't. I really only rip and flip when I see retail products put out a few days early, and frankly as I live in the middle of nowhere, that is rare.

I don't look down on folks who like products like this a whole lot. I see that group as folks that see an avenue to make money but do not have the necessary start up capital or access to do it in the most efficient way. I don't see this as gambling per se. I see this as one group buying up many high end prospect cards and then controlling the manner of distribution, and folks realizing that the only access point is through the product, and buying for that reason. I think there is a gambling element, but the biggest aspect is access.

Bottom line: I don't open wax just to get big hits, and to some extent it never enters into my mind when I do. I can understand the streamlining argument--that this takes out the hassle of base cards taking up space and what not, and makes it more likely for you to hit a particular, desired card. However, it does not appeal to me.

What many folks don't realize is that products like this will be huge factors in the prospecting crash that is going to happen in the next few years. But that might be another tangent for another day.

I'd like to hear your reasoning as to how this contributes to a proposed prospecting crash.

While I no means support this product, if anything, this increases the amount of cards on the market available for prospectors to buy, hoard, and then sell when the time is right. With 500 boxes -- 600-650 individual graded cards, I don't see this having much effect. As a Phillies phanspector, there's nothing I want that was in this product, so it doesn't have an effect on me whatsoever....

Members online

Latest posts