Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Just added this one.

Griffey%2097%20BB%20Best%20Cuts%20Atomic%20PSA%2010_zpsphlvmhsl.jpg

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Can anyone explain why certain griffey inserts and refractors are selling at 3k+ (97 die cut refractor, fleer brilliance /24 etc but his 2000 /10 rainbow auto only sold for 1,200? Or even some of his game used autos (mariners) /50 or less are selling for $500 and less.

do most prefer inserts to autographs? Been getting back into snagging more cards lately but I'm confused by the market as well.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I'm not quite sure either. It is a bit insane to me. I actually prefer the Mariners autos from 1994-2000. They are simply inserts that are autographed, and collecting all the autos from that era is actually a doable project. It works in my favor though. The autographs are typically cheaper than a card from that same year (or even same set) with a similar print run.

SlackRabbit

Jan 10, 2015
When i picked up my Griffey auto, i wanted one with him in a Mariners uniform. I passed on an Upper Deck auto/patch in a reds uniform for a third of the price to pick up my 2014 Topps Finest finest moments auto /25.

SlackRabbit

Jan 10, 2015
I can't explain it, but I would rather have a rare non-auto'd insert or parallel than an auto'd one. It defies logic, yet it's how I feel.

are you saying that if there were two identical cards(one auto'd one not) you would rather have the non autographed one? Or that you would rather have a rare parallel than a random auto.

I could definitely agree with having a rare parallel over a random, more common auto. However, if i had a choice between 2 identical cards, im picking the autographed one every time.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Can anyone explain why certain griffey inserts and refractors are selling at 3k+ (97 die cut refractor, fleer brilliance /24 etc but his 2000 /10 rainbow auto only sold for 1,200? Or even some of his game used autos (mariners) /50 or less are selling for $500 and less.

do most prefer inserts to autographs? Been getting back into snagging more cards lately but I'm confused by the market as well.

You andwered your own question: it's 2000. Griffey insets command the most up till 99. Some 00 inserts sell high because he's still in a Mariners uni. Autos /50 or less are only post 00 and are plentiful, dime a dozen. There are a couple /50 or less autos in the 90s which Murphy could tell you all sell $800+. The 98 UD auto APOA3 is the pinnacle of his 90s autos.

The rest is supply and demand. Try opening up product from the 90s, it's impossible to pull anything. Multiply that with Griffeys popularity and you have several thousand dollar inserts.

Most people that only collect inserts from the 90s like myself do not collect autos. I only collect inserts. The market in my opion has steadily increased since 2011.

The best current comparison I could use is bowman chrome. Bowman chrome rcs sell the highest and everything else is slightly less. Works the same with Griffey to a degree. Not all /25 inserts are created equally! For instance you have the crusade at the top but a /25 from topps Gold Label could get $600 at the lowest. You basically have to learn the products.
On top of that no one sells the real high end stuff on eBay, I know I won't. So the true mArket may never be known by Everyone.

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
are you saying that if there were two identical cards(one auto'd one not) you would rather have the non autographed one? Or that you would rather have a rare parallel than a random auto.

I could definitely agree with having a rare parallel over a random, more common auto. However, if i had a choice between 2 identical cards, im picking the autographed one every time.

People like 90s inserts because they actually put effort in the design. 90% of the Griffey autos out there are ugly. He signs a ton so I would rather have a rare parallel that looks awesome to an auto

bisioml

Nov 13, 2013

Good morning Sevlist and all you other East Coasters who obviously have had a busy morning here! Haha.

There are a few answers to your question and I will try and keep my answers short and to the point because I'm sure I could write a small novel or talk your ear off if we were talking on the phone.

I will preface this conversation by saying this: I collect EVERYTHING Junior from '87-'99. Base, Inserts, Autos, Game Used, Errors, Oddball, Variations, Promos, Executive Samples, Uncut Sheets, Regional, etc... With that being said I would like to provide a little insight if I may.

1. PERSONAL PREFERANCE:

Some of his cards, such as the Executive Samples or Regional cards are printed in drastically fewer numbers than even the most sought after inserts/autos that had a print run of 50 or 25 or less. To me, I feel good knowing that I have a favorite card of mine in a version that has only been seen by a handful of people at the executive level knowing there could be fewer than 10 out there. The MYSTERY is what intrigues me, it's what's fun about collecting. For example: I happen to believe that the 98 Donruss Elite Prime Numbers inserts are Gorgeous. There are 4 different versions of each of the 3 cards in that set. Let's take the Number 2 card for example. Base (/94), Base Sample (Unknown), Die Cut (/200), and Die Cut Executive Sample (***/294). I have all 4 of these and the rarest of all of them is the Executive Sample. I would love to someday find the '4' Diecut (/4) and the Die Cut Executive Sample!!

I know I went off on a tangent, my apologies, but the moral of this topic is, it's all about what the collectors want and what they're willing to pay for their favorites.

2. JUNIOR'S AUTO AVAILABILTY

I LOVE his autos as well, pre-2000 where they didn't grow on trees. I still need 2 (non-auto/game jersey) to complete the pre-2000 collection: 99 Retro Inkredible /24 and 99 Chirography Gold /24. To my point, I personally would not pay the premium I would pay for a few of his inserts I don't have.

Griffey's auto has become sickening available EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING!! That has dropped the AUTO premium down significantly, even on his early year stuff, fortunately and unfortunately. Fortunately for when we actually need one and go to purchase one, unfortunately for our pride trying to sell or knowing what you paid for it back in the day! But don't forget, the value is what you make of it! There are 2 cards (non-autos) in particular that hold an insane amount of sentimental value to me that I unfortunately no longer have. I recently had the opportunity to pick them up again in a beautiful way, but again, unfortunately someone else had other plans.

3. SELLER SETS THE BAR

Last but not least, this is probably the most relevant in the collecting world. Especially with our boy Junior.

When just 2 or 3 individuals set the market value of what they will and won't sell a card for, then what you have is what we are dealing with right now. There are some of us that would be willing to pay a certain amount for a card just because we can or because it's that one card we've been searching for the past 17+ years! If you, me, the other guy and the other gal next to you all said NOPE, I'm not paying that, than the seller who is trying to sell (regardless of how much he/she paid for it) would have no option but to sell for the lower price. If all 5 of us who are after that 1 card are willing to pay a certain amount, then that 1 card will sell insanely high and to the person with a deeper pocket book! Most of these 'rare' 90's cards are also in the hands of private or set collectors in multiple quantities so when one does pop up, everyone is on it like a teenage girl at a One Direction concert! Lol!

What was just said is nothing new and I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but something that needs to be said aloud.

That is why the 90's inserts are selling high right now. Keep in mind also that the majority of us Griffey collectors all grew up in the 90's when we couldn't afford the cards we speak of. Now that we are all in our early-mid 30's we can, and that has a lot to do with the current market value of his cards, especially from the 90's.

Anyway, I think I'm done and I apologize for the length. I would like to say one last thing:

I for one, am going to keep the fun and integrity into collecting. I am NOT in to the profit of this hobby and what I am in to is seeing the 'face' of someone when they finally do add that one card they've been searching for and the joy and memory it brings them. Thank you to those who share those memories and keep the fun in this hobby!

Happy Collecting my friends!

Marco

I'll always be a 'Kid'...like THE 'KID'!

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah the market is flooded with autos now, but I don't think that is the question Sevilist is asking. I'm assuming he just meant 1994-2000 (I think you can include 2000 here for his Mariners autos, but you would compare them to other 2000 Mariners inserts of the same print run). Although, I think the value is comparable for the most part. The 1998 UD POA 3 auto /24 (first baseball game jersey auto ever, not just of Griffey) will cost at least $3500, but can cost upwards of $6000. It all depends on the day and the situation, which is pretty much what Marco was saying. Not everybody can drop $3500 on a card on short notice, if it was to hit an auction. Sometimes these things have to be planned and dealt with privately, for which Joey, Marco, and Goob are all experts. Now, if you look at something like the 1997 SPX Force Auto /100, it has value very comparable to other /100 inserts from 1997. There are some cards /100 from 1997 that are worth more (such as the Essential Credentials) and some that are worth less, but not by much, such as the 1997 Row 1 and 2 Legacies. So, the SPX Force is right in the middle of that. The SPX Bound for Glory auto from the same year has a print run of /250, and it is worth more than any other card with a print run of 250 from that year. Now, skip ahead to 1999. Any auto /24 has solid weight to it. It is worth a substantial amount and compares to most inserts/parallels with that print run. However, some cards such as the 1999 Brilliants 24k are worth much more. Why? Well, the beauty of the card, which is what Joey was talking about. When you're dealing with autos in the 90s (and this is one thing that is actually appealing to me but probably detracts for others), they are somewhat plain cards. They leave a big spot for Griffey to sign on them. They aren't flashy like the parallels and inserts. The ones that are game used memorabilia are also some of the first ones out there. This is nostalgic to me and something I always wanted as a kid. That is when it comes down to personal preference. Right now, the Griffey market is very high, and it just seems that more people have a preference for inserts and parallels. I really can't blame them though. The ones in the 90s were the best looking cards you will ever see, and we are all nostalgic about it. When they came out, we would see them in Beckett, but nobody would see them for sale or in person. They were legendary. We are all just chasing what we believe to be those legendary cards. For me, the autos are preferred, but I can see why others like the inserts and parallels. But Sevilist, when you really think about it, the autos from 1994-2000 are probably priced where they should be. One day I think the inserts/parallels will drop off in value. The reason I think that is there are really only 10-20 hard core Griffey spenders out there, and only about 10 of those are guys that keep everything they buy (such as Marco). We are all around 30 year olds just now coming into some real money. We buy the cards we dreamed of pulling when we were kids. Teenagers today don't really care about Griffey because they never saw him play. You won't have teenagers today grow up to be 30 and start buying 90s inserts because it wasn't their time. Once all the big spenders get the Griffey cards they want, the market will come back down because there just won't be that consistent competition. That's my take on all of it. In the end, just buy what makes you happy. Don't worry about the value down the road.

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
And Marco, you didn't answer my question from earlier. Do you have the 1996 Zenith Diamond Club Griffey variation that is non holographic with the actual diamond? What do you think about the rarity of that? It seems much more rare than the pack odds say it is.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
On an unrelated note, while I've got you Griffey collectors in one place........ how much of a premium do you think this copy of this card is commanding due to it being #01 /99?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141561828706?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have that card and was watching this auction hoping it'd give me a value of mine, but it's going higher than I anticipated, probably due to the serial number. But how much of that price do you think is because of the 01/99?

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Oh, don't buy any post 2000 Griffey autos hoping they are any sort of valuable. Once Topps licensed Griffey a few years ago, they make Griffey autos (and 10 parallel variations...) for every single product they seem to put out there. The market is flooded. Stick to the anything before 2001 in a Mariners uniform, unless you're happy with just collecting something that is new. Don't expect any value to stick to it though because Topps will just keep on releasing them. There isn't anything special about any of them.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
On an unrelated note, while I've got you Griffey collectors in one place........ how much of a premium do you think this copy of this card is commanding due to it being #01 /99?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141561828706?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have that card and was watching this auction hoping it'd give me a value of mine, but it's going higher than I anticipated, probably due to the serial number. But how much of that price do you think is because of the 01/99?

Well Keyser, I hope it sells for $1,000,000, since it is my card ;)

Honestly, I was expecting to get about $250-275 for it. Anything past this point is a nice little bonus. I think being 01/99 may add about 5-10%. I don't think people (at least true knowledgeable collectors like the ones here) care much about that sort of thing.

bisioml

Nov 13, 2013
And Marco, you didn't answer my question from earlier. Do you have the 1996 Zenith Diamond Club Griffey variation that is non holographic with the actual diamond? What do you think about the rarity of that? It seems much more rare than the pack odds say it is.

Sorry for the delay in answering this Sean. Most of the delay was due to the fact of me not knowing how to answer or what to believe due to these 2 reasons:

1. I personally pulled a real diamond Roberto Alomar out of a pack back in 97 or 98 that had the glossy refractive finish.

2. Yes, I do have the Griffey with a diamond in it, but mine also has the refractive finish. This one I have that I got 6 years ago, and the one that was listed last night are the ONLY 2 that I have ever seen and the only 2 that I know of Griffey out there.

I don't know what to think so I'm sorry that I have to defer to the majority of collectors out there who have already stated what information they have. The only info I have been able to dig up is from what is listed on ebay, not even baseballcardpedia has any info on it; nor does it state that the cards were released in a variation. You think it would, given the fact that it does list most variations of that era like the 96 Fleer Silver, 95 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle Dufex variations, and the 94 Upper Deck Silver variations, among others.

If this is the case with Junior, then let the hunt begin. Haha.

I'm glad that this card is finally getting some love though!

I'll always be a 'Kid'...like THE 'KID'!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

I had one. The real version. Was offered [what I thought was] a pretty ridiculous price, so I sold it a while back. I have NEVER seen another Griffey.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Sorry for the delay in answering this Sean. Most of the delay was due to the fact of me not knowing how to answer or what to believe due to these 2 reasons:

1. I personally pulled a real diamond Roberto Alomar out of a pack back in 97 or 98 that had the glossy refractive finish.

2. Yes, I do have the Griffey with a diamond in it, but mine also has the refractive finish. This one I have that I got 6 years ago, and the one that was listed last night are the ONLY 2 that I have ever seen and the only 2 that I know of Griffey out there.

I think the "lines" in the background are the teller. The "Real Diamonds" still have a refractory finish, just not the sunburst lines like the regular set (the ones I've seen anyway)