Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] Vintage Corner: One Example of a Non-Main Stream Rookie Card- Ryne Sandberg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Modern rookie collectors are certainly familiar with the never ending supply of Topps, Fleer and Donruss rookies from the early to mid-80’s. This time frame marked the first appearance on main stream card offerings from the Big Three for heavy hitters such as Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn and Cub fan favorite, Ryne Sandberg. When most collectors speak of rookie cards for these players it is these Big Three images of wax stained cardboard that most think of. But hard core rookie collectors as well as those who collect only these players know there are far greater yet tougher options for rookies of these hall of fame caliber athletes that are available. Let’s take a look at what alternate rookie cards are available for one popular player from the time when leg warmers and big hair where the norm.

Ryne Sandberg made his Major League debut with the Philadelphia Phillies in 1981 and gave no indication of the Hall of Fame player he was destined to be. Appearing in thirteen games, Sandberg had just six unremarkable at bats and managed only one hit while striking out once. Oddly enough, that one hit came in what would be his future home of Wrigley Field against the team he would soon be most identified with, the Chicago Cubs. Before spring training of 1982, Phillies General Manager Paul Owens made Sandberg a throw in to the trade that brought Ivan Dejesus to the Phillies in exchange for Sandberg and veteran shortstop Larry Bowa. It was this trade that would be the start of the rebuilding effort for new Cub’s General Manager and former Philly field manager Dallas Green’s building of a new traditional on Chicago’s north side.

The card companies did not recognize Sandberg to be a prospect in 1982 and who could blame them. Sandberg, who was originally hailed to be the Cub’s newest third base savior would go 0 for his first 32 plate appearances before going on to have a decent rookie season. It was not until 1983 that the big three card makers saw that Sandberg had enough upside to include him in their regular issue sets. The card manufacturers would go on to produce millions of Sandberg rookie cards, diluting an already saturated card market and leaving those who desired a little variety in their collection somewhat flat. If one wanted to collect a true non-main stream rookie card of Ryne Sandberg pictured in his big league uniform there would really only be one option.
With the start of the baseball card boom in the early 1980’s, card makers were not the only ones to jump into the cardboard fray. Sports teams saw baseball cards as a way to promote their team and sell tickets at the same time. Many teams scheduled baseball card days in hopes of tapping into the natural tie in between baseball and the now booming sports card market. Giving away sets of cards guaranteed the team a successful promotional event with thousands of extra tickets sold for that day’s game. The Cubs were one of the first teams to embrace this type of promotion and in 1983 baseball card day was a complete success with the first 10,000 fans through the gates being given a complete set of cards. This team issued set contained 28 cards that were sponsored by the Red Lobster restaurant chain with the cards being smaller than the normal Topps issues of the day. These cards featured a full bleed picture with the players name, position and facsimile autograph on the front with regular statistics and a rather large Red Lobster ad printed in black on the back. The size and quality of the card stock was not going to win the team many friends among collectors but the photography and player selection was well done. Included in this set were not only the rookie cards of Sandberg but the first card of star reliever Lee Smith. Smith had cards in the 1982 regular issue Topps, Fleer and Donruss sets but this issue would also be called a rookie card and if he ever finds his way to Cooperstown, could be a sleeper for collectors.

These cards are tough to find in great condition due to the fact the sets were tightly shrink wrapped and distributed to fans entering the gates. While creases are not much of an issue, finding any of these cards with sharp corners is a near impossibility. The shrink wrap was so tight on these sets that most cards had their corners slightly rounded, especially the top and bottom cards. Some sets have also been seen shrink wrapped with a rubber band around them under the wrap so edges may also be a challenge.

If condition was not enough of a challenge, scarcity for these sets also causes issues for those who desire to make the Red Lobster Sandberg a part of their collection. In their haste to obtain autographs or see what the cards looked like, many of these sets were cracked open by fans and left strew about the seating area making Wrigley Field look like Times Square on the day after New Years eve. The long and short of this set are that, while it is certainly easy to locate copies of the Sandberg Red Lobster rookie card, locating high quality examples are not very easy at all. PSA population reports show that only 89 Sandberg Red Lobster rookies have been graded with 26 being Gem mint and 33 being graded as mint condition. These Red Lobster population numbers certainly pale in comparison to the rookie cards that were produced for the Cubs Hall of Famer one year later by the big three card companies. Over 9000 cards have bene graded for the 1983 Topps offering with 391 of those cards residing in a gem mint 10 plastic tomb and 3200 cards being judged to be a PSA 9.

When looking on Ebay, pricing for the top end Sandberg Red Lobster rookies are all over board. PSA 9 examples have recently sold for as little as $50 while PSA 10 gem mint copies have sold in the area of $300. I have seen several sealed sets that can be had for a very reasonable price but due to the tight shrink wrapping you will be rolling the dice if you play the grading game with any of these cards.

Many collectors love to have mainstream rookies of their favorite player in their collection because of the easy access to these cards. Let’s face it, Topps makes a great deal of cards per year and obtaining a nice copy at a price that fits every collector’s budget is a very easy accomplishment. The Red Lobster Ryne Sandberg is an excellent example of why thinking outside of the rookie box can not only bring diversity to your collection but provide you with a very nice alternative to the mainstream hobby offerings. If you are willing to do your research you can find these types of hidden gems that will give your collection that extra star power that not everyone will have without breaking the bank or your collecting budget.

sandberg.jpg sandberg2.jpg

I would be curious to know what other non-main stream rookies are out in collectors hands. Please feel free to post pictures of what you have.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Excellent post. How about others?

Only one I can think of is the '86 sportflics rookie set card of Larkin which pre dates his rookie cards by a year.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Very nice write up. I'll try to think of some as well. Clark has a "newspaper card" in 1987 that def isn't mainstream but post dates his 1986 Traded RC's.

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not nearly as rare as the Red Lobster Sandberg, but Mother's Cookies made some nice regional rookie cards, like Canseco in 1986 and Griffey in 1989.
I also remember going to Rangers games in '86 and '87 and getting free Mother's Cookies Rangers cards, and being excited to get rookie cards of then-hot players like Ruben Sierra and Pete Incaviglia.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
In Cincy, Kahn's meats always made sets of Reds players. Sometimes there were cards of players that Topps didnt make at all. Now that the question has been raised, I'm wondering if Kahn's made cards prior to Topps.

Great question to ponder and now doing some research.

Fordman

mchenrycards

In Cincy, Kahn's meats always made sets of Reds players. Sometimes there were cards of players that Topps didnt make at all. Now that the question has been raised, I'm wondering if Kahn's made cards prior to Topps.

Great question to ponder and now doing some research.

Fordman

Great thought!

Kahn's: The Weiner The World Awaited!

And yes......that was their slogan! LOL I love Kahn's cards especially the color photo cards.

Honestly, I had not even thought of the Kahn's cards but with their extensive number of sets that they produced for a number of years I have no doubt that they would have had at least a few cards pre-date the normal Topps rookie cards of some players of that era.

I am looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This predates Ozzie's Topps rookie by a year. One of my favorite cards.

pop.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
@mchenryscards - well done!

Loved this post, and loved reading about a card set I had never heard about. I'm personally a big fan of minor league and "regional issues" like this. I don't have any good examples of recent non-mainstream RCs, but there are many very cool vintage sets that I am reminded of when I read this post - namely, the very famous 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams card, the Bell Brand Dodgers issues of the late 1950s, and shoot, even the 1993 Ichiro rookies issued by BBM, Takara and Tomy, since those aren't the big brands in Japan (Calbee is, and they did not feature Ichiro until 1994). in fact, several of Ichiro's 1994 Calbee cards were found in potato chip bags.

*Ichiro also has a card in the 1993 Hawaiian Winter Baseball League set that were sold at ballparks.

further reading in case anyone is interested:

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/3128/japans-leading-man

mchenrycards

@mchenryscards - well done!

Loved this post, and loved reading about a card set I had never heard about. I'm personally a big fan of minor league and "regional issues" like this. I don't have any good examples of recent non-mainstream RCs, but there are many very cool vintage sets that I am reminded of when I read this post - namely, the very famous 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams card, the Bell Brand Dodgers issues of the late 1950s, and shoot, even the 1993 Ichiro rookies issued by BBM, Takara and Tomy, since those aren't the big brands in Japan (Calbee is, and they did not feature Ichiro until 1994). in fact, several of Ichiro's 1994 Calbee cards were found in potato chip bags.

*Ichiro also has a card in the 1993 Hawaiian Winter Baseball League set that were sold at ballparks.

further reading in case anyone is interested:

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/3128/japans-leading-man

My thought was that somewhere down the road I would write about the Bell Brands (beautiful cards in my opinion), the Wilson Franks and even sets such as the Hires Root Beer cards but not sure how much time I have to write in the coming months. I know the boards would welcome anyone such as yourself who has interest and knowledge of these sets to put something together to showcase these regional issues. I know we can all benefit from those who have knowledge of these types of sets. I would bet that many on these boards have never heard of Bell Brands and never saw them before.

I personally feel much of the regional cards have a higher collectability and quality than the main stream issues of the day.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'm sure you are probably speaking of the more common white bordered Bell Brands, but I always favored the inaugural issue of 1958. Great cards, but oversized and always less popular with card collectors it seems. I was able to gather a decent number of early oddball Dodgers in the early days of ebay but always regret not being more aggressive to get more.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There was a similar oddball as well, although it would be a 1983 issue. Many may not be aware of this one either:

Attachments

• 16501a_lg.jpeg
    16501a_lg.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 23

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
This was a very enjoyable read; nicely done! I always like reading about particular player cards, especially odd-ball type items, since I'm kinda a single player collector. Thanks for taking the time to write on this subject.

Last edited:

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Excellent post. How about others?

Only one I can think of is the '86 sportflics rookie set card of Larkin which pre dates his rookie cards by a year.

Agreed - an excellent topic and an even better post! Along the Sportflics lines - the 1987 Team Preview set had Tom Glavine on the Braves card a full year before anyone else had him in a set.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Technically not a Japanese release, nor does it feature Japanese text, the UD Collector's Choice card for Ichiro has an interesting backstory that ties it to Ichiro's pre-MLB career.

In November of 1994, the NBA opened the 1994-95 regular season in Yokohama, Japan. On two consecutive nights, the Los Angeles Clippers played the Portland Trail Blazers, with the Clippers losing both games.

Already a star in Japan, but little-known elsewhere, Ichiro was a VIP for the games. While in attendance, Ichiro crossed paths with an Upper Deck representative and shot a few photos holding a basketball, which were turned into a media card.

While the total amount printed varies by the source, it is estimated that only 100-200 cards were made and they were all shipped directly to Ichiro. Very few have surfaced, but when they do, they have been greeted with four-figure sales.

1448895401681.jpg

Members online