Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2015
New Jersey
A collector contacted me about a variation I had listed for the 1986 True Value set. He was told that the Mattingly inside the panel with the Hamilton Ad was different than the other ad. (it wasn't different)

View attachment 59826View attachment 59827

He sent me these pics, but I had never seen the version with the gray text, "1st Base" instead of "Infield" and different cropping on the picture. Has anyone seen these? I think it may be some type of prototype that was never produced. @DonnieBaseball

View attachment 59828View attachment 59829

What you have is the regular version that was issued and the version that was only issued in the northwest. The one that has "infield" listed is the regular version and the one that has "1st base" listed as the position is the northwest version. The backs of the cards should be different as well.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
What you have is the regular version that was issued and the version that was only issued in the northwest. The one that has "infield" listed is the regular version and the one that has "1st base" listed as the position is the northwest version. The backs of the cards should be different as well.

Interesting. I've never heard of that. Were all players available in NE?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Did you know that the 1994 Topps Black Gold Series 2 (the NL set) can be found with either a 1993 or a 1994 copyright date? I got a message on Sportlots recently, asking me the date on one of mine. It was 1994, and I said I had never heard of ones with a 1993 date. But they do exist:

1994 Topps Black Gold #33 - Mark Grace
Courtesy of COMC.com

Anyone else see these before?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Did you know that the 1994 Topps Black Gold Series 2 (the NL set) can be found with either a 1993 or a 1994 copyright date? I got a message on Sportlots recently, asking me the date on one of mine. It was 1994, and I said I had never heard of ones with a 1993 date. But they do exist:

1994 Topps Black Gold #33 - Mark Grace
Courtesy of COMC.com

Anyone else see these before?

Aw man, now my ******* are all in a bunch. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for the exact card you posted. All the one's of Grace are 1994 copyright. Was that a completed sales one, or did you buy it?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Aw man, now my ******* are all in a bunch. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for the exact card you posted. All the one's of Grace are 1994 copyright. Was that a completed sales one, or did you buy it?

I did grab that one, there were a few players that I grabbed just in case these are tough obscurities. Already had a 1993 Matt Williams, unbeknownst to me, so if I were paying attention I could have known about these years ago.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I did grab that one, there were a few players that I grabbed just in case these are tough obscurities. Already had a 1993 Matt Williams, unbeknownst to me, so if I were paying attention I could have known about these years ago.

Could there have been 2 print runs of these, one in late 1993 and one in early 1994?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Could there have been 2 print runs of these, one in late 1993 and one in early 1994?

The Series 1 Black Golds (AL) all have dates of 1994, so maybe Topps printed the NL ones first but saved them for Series 2 release? Then printed more when they printed up everything else S2? I don't know if any other 1994 Topps products can be found with both dates on them, but I do know I have yet to find any S2 base or Gold with a 1993 date.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
The Series 1 Black Golds (AL) all have dates of 1994, so maybe Topps printed the NL ones first but saved them for Series 2 release? Then printed more when they printed up everything else S2? I don't know if any other 1994 Topps products can be found with both dates on them, but I do know I have yet to find any S2 base or Gold with a 1993 date.

What about the Black Golds from the factory sets? Some factory sets had the 3 card SuperStar Samplers & some had the 3 card Topps Finest.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Checked the two Grace's in my doubles box and they were both 1993 dated. I've also been looking at the redemption cards, they all seem to be 1994. That's a relief, can't imagine finding the ABCD if it had both.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So found the 1993 and 1994 versions in my doubles. Interesting that it's not just the date that's changed, but also the MLB / MLBPA info. Maybe they had to reprint them since they didn't get the copyright symbol correct.

94BlackGoldBacks.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
So found the 1993 and 1994 versions in my doubles. Interesting that it's not just the date that's changed, but also the MLB / MLBPA info. Maybe they had to reprint them since they didn't get the copyright symbol correct.

94BlackGoldBacks.jpg

I think you are correct, excellent sleuthing!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
1997 Crown Pro Sticker have 5 sticker teams sets (though I have only been able to identify four teams). Then they have random packs of all-stars (I have only seen one pack so far). These use the identical pictures of the team stickers, but have different numbering.)

SCAN9382 - Copy - Copy (2).JPGSCAN9382 - Copy (7) - Copy - Copy.JPG

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Random card I came across and no idea if its an error that was corrected or not... 1993 Classic Travel Roberto Kelly.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1993-CLASSIC-BLUE-TRIVIA-T047-will-clark-cecil-fielder-mickey-mantle-yogi-/311524066021?nav=SEARCH

Back shows Dodgers logo as his team but he didn't play for them in 92/93 etc. I quickly googled and didn't see it mentioned as an ERR or UER. Anyone know?

Ryan

I will have to look into that myself. There are two COMC and both show the Dodgers logo. I also have to double check my inventory. It's funny I somewhat collect Kelly and never realized that logo was on the back like that. Thanks Ryan.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I will have to look into that myself. There are two COMC and both show the Dodgers logo. I also have to double check my inventory. It's funny I somewhat collect Kelly and never realized that logo was on the back like that. Thanks Ryan.

I do collect him, and have even owned that set since it was released and never noticed the logos on the back. I doubt it was corrected. I don't think Classic made any corrections beyond 1990.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'm sure it's been discussed before , but just checking. On the 1993 Topps Black Gold A/B Redemptions, are they all mis-numbered? It goes from 9 to 0(should have been 10) to 1(should have been 11) then 12.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1460436908.483494.jpg

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts