Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Approach to a trimmed card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Awhile back (right after his no-hitter) I sold a 2004 Bowman Chrome Felix Hernandez Xfractor Auto for $200. A couple of weeks ago the buyer contacts me and tells me he sent the card to BGS and got it back with "evidence of trimming."

I sent him a refund and got the card back in a few days ago. Now my question is what to do with the card. I can sell it with a clear memo that it is trimmed but I am concerned the next guy will try to pass it off as fine. Alternatively I remember a guy who once had the same issue and hole punched a corner so no one could claim it was perfect (he did it with a couple of Pujols SPx RC autos.) Obviously that does not help the value but I was thinking something like that might be the way to go to ensure no one get duped.

Thoughts?

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
If you really care about people getting duped why even consider selling a card you know is trimmed? Don't be a hypocrite.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If you really care about people getting duped why even consider selling a card you know is trimmed? Don't be a hypocrite.

Did you read his post? It's his choice whether he wants to sell it or not, but he just said he wants to make sure the buyer knows it is trimmed and also that the buyer can't try to hide that fact moving forward to dupe the next guy. That's not an example of hypocrisy in the slightest, it's an example of being responsible and having morals.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Did you read his post? It's his choice whether he wants to sell it or not, but he just said he wants to make sure the buyer knows it is trimmed and also that the buyer can't try to hide that fact moving forward to dupe the next guy. That's not an example of hypocrisy in the slightest, it's an example of being responsible and having morals.

BullXXXX. Things like that go straight in the trash around here. Anyone that *really* cares would cut it up & post the pics. Nice to know the morals are high around here...

"I care if someone down the line gets duped...but I'll sell it anyway" Not hypocrisy at all? really?

Last edited:

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
BullXXXX. Things like that go straight in the trash around here. Anyone that *really* cares would cut it up & post the pics. Nice to know the morals are high around here...

I would send it in for grading to see what beckett says (wasn't there a similar thread to this recently?) I wouldn't take the guy for his word way to many crooks and con artist in a hobby thats supposed to be for kids. Also you can always compare to another card and use a ruler to see. It sounds to me like you haven't looked at the card yourself.

Unlike Mr. High and Mighty who thinks it should go into the garbage I ain't throwing away $200 with out further inspection. OP morals are fine I would be worried about the guy requesting the refund after 6 months. If the card is trimmed then just keep in your collection no reason to throw it away or cut it up better to keep it in a closest someplace than add more crap to a landfill.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Unlike Mr. High and Mighty

I resent this. i am 100% sober, please don't use the word high to describe me. guys like Josh Hamilton & Macho Camacho can do drugs, I do not. I can handle anything else you can throw at me.

thank You.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
high and mighty is not a drug reference. Its perfectly describing your attitude. Anyone knows topnotchy would never sell a trimmed card. Truth is bgs makes errors from time to time regarding trimeed cards. I would send it in again for another inspection just to be sure. Its not a 5.00 card.
I resent this. i am 100% sober, please don't use the word high to describe me. guys like Josh Hamilton & Macho Camacho can do drugs, I do not. I can handle anything else you can throw at me.

thank You.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
I'd send it back in for grading and see if you get the same result. Yesterday people were talking about cards they saw pulled and go straight to the grading booth at shows get "evidence" of coloring and trimming.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

thank You.

Really? Going to beat up on a brain dead boxer who just got shot in the face?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008

"I care if someone down the line gets duped...but I'll sell it anyway" Not hypocrisy at all? really?

Which part of my post bothered you? Was it the refund I gave to the buyer months after he won it, or the fact I said I would cut off a corner or hole punch the card (or listen to other ideas) before selling it to make sure that no one would get conned down the line?

I'd send it back in for grading and see if you get the same result. Yesterday people were talking about cards they saw pulled and go straight to the grading booth at shows get "evidence" of coloring and trimming.

The seller sent the card back with the attached memo from Beckett. Looking at the card it does appear a bit small, so I'm willing to accept that as fact and deal with it as such. It stinks to take a loss on something like this, what I'd rather take than mess the next guy over.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
I think I'd almost rather the grading companies send it back slabbed as trimmed. Then you could sell it that way.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I think I'd almost rather the grading companies send it back slabbed as trimmed. Then you could sell it that way.

Even then I would be concerned that someone would buy it on the cheap and crack it out. I'm not sure at what point one can comfortably say, "I did what I can and if people are going to be crooks that's on them," and I certainly could understand someone saying that a card slabbed as trimmed is doing enough, but I'd probably quicker do something to make sure no one can get duped.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
I mean, you can only do what you can do, short of running through a shredder, setting it on fire, hole punching it.......

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As others have written, it may not even be trimmed. I have the same Felix card, except the base auto version, that I pulled from a pack that is a tiny bit shorter than normal cards. Same with a few other cards.
I don't think Topps' printing tolerances were as tight back then.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
As others have written, it may not even be trimmed. I have the same Felix card, except the base auto version, that I pulled from a pack that is a tiny bit shorter than normal cards. Same with a few other cards.
I don't think Topps' printing tolerances were as tight back then.

Almost every 2004 card I have seen and many 2003's have been a hair small. Don't know if that was the peak trimming days or that is how they were made.

Members online