Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fox & MLB release statement on exclusion of Tony Gwynn tribute @ A.S. game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I did notice during the introductions that one of the players had a ZIM patch on his jersey and he made a hand gesture to that when they introduced him. Can't recall his name or team...

rays. They've been wearing "ZIM" on their sleeve since Zimmer passed. I know the player wasn't david price because he was a late replacement and off the top of my head, I don't recall who the rays representative was.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
This is the entire point right here. I don't think the MLB dropped the ball here at all. The argument I've heard on sports radio is it isn't hard to take a few minutes to honor Gwynn and the other people associated with baseball who died, that's why they should have done it. Just like they do on the Oscars.

Well, this isn't the Oscars. The All-Star game doesn't have that segment. And just because a star player died at a relatively young age doesn't mean they should change their format add that segment.

It's like someone getting upset you didn't have a 3 minute slideshow at your wedding for your grandpa who just died.

You hit the nail on the head bud! Couldn't agree more.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Because they don't quite suck as much as Buck does. He's terrible.

Err...right.That's why it took them so long to finally get hired into the booth after all these years.So when are you taking over for David Hill and Ed Goren at FOX?

So is Buck biased for the Yankees and Angels or not?

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
rays. They've been wearing "ZIM" on their sleeve since Zimmer passed. I know the player wasn't david price because he was a late replacement and off the top of my head, I don't recall who the rays representative was.
It was David Price. The Zim patch was above the Rays patch on his chest and when his name was called while standing on the line for the American League players he patted the Zim patch to honor Zim.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Err...right.That's why it took them so long to finally get hired into the booth after all these years.So when are you taking over for David Hill and Ed Goren at FOX?

So is Buck biased for the Yankees and Angels or not?

Buck is definitely not biased. I've seen every yankees game this year and even the ones buck has narrated he is not biased toward the yanks.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
They talked about Little House on the Prairie...I think they could have mentioned the passing of a habitual All-Star...
No, they shouldn't have talked about everyone who died. They should not have dragged Dead Baseball Players out every 1/2 inning... morbid!
I just think it naturally would have came up. just like it did during the Home run Derby. Gwynn has nothing to do with Home runs, but everything to do with MLB baseball.
He obliviously has a lot more to do with being an all-star.
Now wait, and during the World Series they'll make an over-the-top deal about it trying to make up for it:

"Throwing out the fist pitch today is Oakland A's Legend Catfish Hunter, and, by the way, did you know that Tony Gwynn, who passed away 6 months ago was an avid fisherman?"

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Now wait, and during the World Series they'll make an over-the-top deal about it trying to make up for it:

"Throwing out the fist pitch today is Oakland A's Legend Catfish Hunter, and, by the way, did you know that Tony Gwynn, who passed away 6 months ago was an avid fisherman?"

Catfish Hunter died in 1999 at the young age of 53.......

Note, Adam Jones wrote TG19 on his All Star game hat as a tribute to Tony. He gets it!!

BsoTRTHCEAA5fMx.jpg

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/489224697666473985/photo/1

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
They talked about Little House on the Prairie...I think they could have mentioned the passing of a habitual All-Star...
No, they shouldn't have talked about everyone who died. They should not have dragged Dead Baseball Players out every 1/2 inning... morbid!
I just think it naturally would have came up. just like it did during the Home run Derby. Gwynn has nothing to do with Home runs, but everything to do with MLB baseball.
He obliviously has a lot more to do with being an all-star.

Your signature tells all. Yes Gwynn was a great player. Does he deserve a tribute? No. Its simple as that. Its sad he died but he doesn't deserve to be put on a pedastol above all the other HOF'ers and ALL STAR's that have died. He was a great player and any baseball fans know that. Stop complaining. Just because they didn't put a segment in about him.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think the All-Star Game and the World Series are appropriate platforms for remembrances. the most casual of sports fan is most likely to watch baseball when it's the all-star game or when it's the world series, since you assume the all-star game has the best players in the game playing in it and you assume the world series has the two best clubs that season playing in it.

It doesn't have to be an OSCAR "In memoriam" reel, but I think during a players at-bat, Joe Buck should work in a mention a significant baseballer who passed (Zimmer, Gwynn, etc) and maybe tell a story about that person. Limit it to no more than 1 per half-inning or full inning and I don't think it makes the remembrances that bad.
I actually agree with you. I think the ASG could be a good venue to honor those individuals baseball has lost over the past. But it wasn't that way last year or the year before, there's no reason to expect them to do it this year.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Buck is definitely not biased. I've seen every yankees game this year and even the ones buck has narrated he is not biased toward the yanks.

Twisted logic from the other 99% of the board thinks he's some secret spy for some terrorist organization or so it seems.

Members online

Latest posts