Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner, Volume 17; banjar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hi Curt - I have a particular fondness for cards from Robbie's San Diego days. I suppose for a while they were kind of my default team. We didn't have the Rockies yet, and even though we got some Royals and Cubs games on local TV in those days, I thought SD was cool. They had Gwynn an the Alomar clan, what I thought were cool-looking uniforms, and shockingly, in 1988-89 they weren't actually a terrible team.

Xeriscaping - not to be confused with Prancercize...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

Yep, had to look this one up. Thought it might have been some sort of faddish exercising thing. xeriscaping

I won't say that I collect specifically Alomar, but have always considered him one of a dozen or more players from the 90s that I liked a little more than the rest. It didn't hurt that he came up right at the tail end of my new love for the Padres, after Garvey came over to the taco from the blue. I continued to like the Padres into the mid 90s, as they were stacked with similar players that I just liked a bit more (Gwynn, McGriff, Carter, Sheffield) until I discovered and devoted my primary focus towards Frank Thomas. When the internet caught my attention, I rediscovered my Garvey collection and the Dodgers and have never looked back to the Padres other than a brief fondness and an appreciation for some of their other players (Templeton, Kruk, Colbert, Winfield, Smith, Wiggins, Roberts, etc).

It's too bad Alomar wasn't playing a few years earlier, or that Garvey didn't stick around a few years later. Then there may have been some nice crossover oddball stuff that would fit both of our collections. I will also agree that the glut of retired player issues has gotten out of hand in the past and continues for many. Some view endless new stuff as a positive, while others feel it is a burden. I have been pretty lucky of late. Production and set inclusion has been fairly minimal and nothing like the peak I saw in 2005! I'll wrap up by saying that after visiting Cooperstown for the first time earlier this year, a small part of me is glad Garvey is not in the Hall of Fame. I think the flood of new stuff generated by his induction (mostly the overpriced gimmicky HOF specific stuff) would break me, because I want EVERYTHING within a reasonable budget range.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember seeing that video before. Notice she is filming this in some sort of private, remote looking location, because nobody would ever want to be seen doing this goofy sh!t.

Hi Curt - I have a particular fondness for cards from Robbie's San Diego days. I suppose for a while they were kind of my default team. We didn't have the Rockies yet, and even though we got some Royals and Cubs games on local TV in those days, I thought SD was cool. They had Gwynn an the Alomar clan, what I thought were cool-looking uniforms, and shockingly, in 1988-89 they weren't actually a terrible team.

Xeriscaping - not to be confused with Prancercize...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

Members online

Latest posts