Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Night Crew * September 2018 * End of Summer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Thank you thank you! I have been a fan of both players since Bryant came up. And to have a dual on card auto of them both.....its a whale I have chased and now landed. I wanted the 2016 Bowmans Best dual auto but never could hit one. This will do.

What was your gamble?

For how good he is Mike Trout still seems undervalued (in terms of cards) I mean he could hit 100WAR before the age of 30. :shock:
Chris Bryant is great too.. .when he learns how to spell his first name we will be a 5 tool player. ;)

my gamble: I bought a 98 year old chess book (1st edition) from a non-chess dealer. The chances they didn't know how good an auto was (if it was real) would have been high. I didn't think it could be facsimile due to being slightly off-angle and not being a big J. idk, its just too faded to tell its facsimile from their pick. Dealer didn't say there was an auto and I didn't want to ask as they would yank it then. Book it worth about 25 bucks to me and I payed 30 for it. If real auto then worth over 2k+.

1132783147.0.x.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I should have said its worth 25 to me "right now" so right now I only lost 5 for not a real auto BUT this vintage book could easily be worth over 100 on its own in a few years so no big deal.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
SO the payoff might not be as great, but you stand to make a little dough in the near future. Thats not too bad.

yep, and I get to read a book for free!! :lol:

There are still some minor deals to be had in vintage baseball cards here and there but I think books are a much better long term deal. I mean if you think about it the whole reason old baseball cards and comics were valued in the first place was people threw a lot of them out or they were in terrible condition. I can picture some people throwing this out. . . and I've never seen 1st edition before.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
A big difference is we don't even know the original print run. (unlike specific whale bb cards) I notice in chess books for example a lot of late 1800s ones are already in the thousands of dollars but some early 1900s are still value prices. Who knows how many more are printed but I'm expecting the price to match eventually as Ive never seen them all in all.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I never really thought about it but I'd say you're on to something about books, media in general maybe with so much going digital lots of items like that will be tossed by people who aren't collectors or knowledgeable about a certain topic.

I also love the Seinfeld bit about books and people being too into the books they've read so they seem smart.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm sorry....not all dual autographs can be of Yadi and Yadi.......

Wouldn't work with Yadi but that might be an idea that could be developed, like a traded series auto single player dual autos, maybe it's the beer thinking but someone might be able to do something cool with that

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I'm sorry....not all dual autographs can be of Yadi and Yadi.......

When you said I was close with Ohtani/Trout I was going to guess Ohtani/Ohtani .. . have they done a dual where he is both guys? (with him it kind of makes sense at least)

As for Yadi/Yadi I will pass... thats too much broken dick on one card!! :lol:

I never really thought about it but I'd say you're on to something about books, media in general maybe with so much going digital lots of items like that will be tossed by people who aren't collectors or knowledgeable about a certain topic.

I also love the Seinfeld bit about books and people being too into the books they've read so they seem smart.

Yeah I am buying a dip!! :p I guess a bonus reason to buy physical vintage is it hasn't been edited by someone in a future reprinting to the point you don't even know the original work. . . and maybe nothing was edited/corrected at all, but you don't know that for sure!. This is kind of niche for chess in a way as that supercomputers can just autocorrect anything with amazing accuracy so any joe blow can edit are re-release a book while killing its original charm.

I'm sure there are other categories of value like 1990s "How to connect to the internet" book. :rolleyes:

The most obvious book bonus is that if you are like me and buy the ebook and try to read it you'll end up on FCB or **** or baseballreference within 5 min and it will get unread. :lol:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think a **** link is a nice ebook bonus, but to each his own.

...of course a great online bonus! I meant in terms of concentrating. ;)

Speaking of the same player on an auto, years ago a guy won a 1/1 from UD where he could customize the auto with 4 current MLBers. Dude could pick Jeter/Trout/Pujols/Arod and ebay it for mega cash . . . but iirc chose that bust Japanese pitcher 4 times. :confused:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
...of course a great online bonus! I meant in terms of concentrating. ;)

Speaking of the same player on an auto, years ago a guy won a 1/1 from UD where he could customize the auto with 4 current MLBers. Dude could pick Jeter/Trout/Pujols/Arod and ebay it for mega cash . . . but iirc chose that bust Japanese pitcher 4 times. :confused:

I would have to assume he was a prospector. That’s quite the gamble.

Really dumb.

Members online

No members online now.