Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chris Tillman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you watch any baseball or are you just a armchair stat guy?
Watch him pitch once.
People talk about him because of his effectiveness. He just completely shut down one of the hottest offense like it was nothing.
I obviously don't watch an entire game of his, but I watch MLB network's highlights and anchor discussions and analysis every night, along with reading postgame writeups.
(I live 6 hours behind Eastern Time so it's early when games end).

Sure Tillman only let up two runs in 7 innings against Boston yesterday.
That's very good, and he's been excellent at times.

My argument is that he's not the great pitcher that some people make him out to be.
Showing stats over the entire season is the only way to objectively show the overall value of a pitcher.

Picking and choosing games isn't accurate; otherwise Homer Bailey would be having an awesome season.

The MLB Network used Tillman's stats last week to show how a win-loss record does not always show the true effectiveness of a player.
All of Tillman's numbers except wins are in the middle of the pack or end of the top third of AL pitchers.

Again, he's been very good in several games.
But as an unbiased observer (I neither like nor dislike the Orioles) I just think this is a case where a pitcher's won-loss record is slightly misleading, compared to other better pitchers.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
.... but I watch MLB network's highlights and anchor discussions and analysis every night, along with reading postgame writeups.

Figured as much.
I watch all the O's games. He's definitely the ace this season.
He'd have even more wins if the pen hasn't blown it. He's pitching in the toughest division in baseball. That ERA is beyond respectable for as many times as he's seeing the big teams. K/BB... 133/57

Enjoy the video ... ( :18 & :43 are mighty tasty... :0) )

Baltimore Orioles News | Orioles Fan Site | Eutaw Street Report | Tillman shuts down Red Sox for win number 15

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Figured as much.
I watch all the O's games. He's definitely the ace this season.
Geez man, no reason to be that way.
I never wrote that Tillman wasn't the O's ace.
Nor did I write that he hasn't pitched some excellent games.

I just think he's not among the AL's elite pitchers yet, other than his win total.
It's my educated opinion based on stats and what MLB analysts have said.
You don't have to agree with it, and I'm not asking you to.

I understand you're a passionate O's fan, which is great, but other fans have every right to write constructive criticism about any player without having to watch every game that player pitches like you do.

Tillman is the opposite of Chris Sale.
Sale has a sub-3.00 era, is leading AL pitchers in WAR and is among the league leaders in Ks and most other categories.
But he has a losing record because his team sucks, so no one gives a crap about Sale because he has a bad W-L record.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
3.61 ERA is considered mediocre?

I think people give Tillman way too much credit because of his gaudy 15-4 record.

He's 17th in the AL in era. (a mediocre 3.61)
He's 16th in the AL in strikeouts.
He's 16th in the AL in WHIP.

No one would be talking about Tillman if he didn't get good run support.
It's another case of wins not meaning as much as people think it does, when truly great pitchers like Kershaw and Felix struggle to win with tiny era, because of low run support.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
3.61 ERA is considered mediocre?
Among the AL era rankings, yes.
The definition of mediocre is average or middle of the road.
As of tonight's games, Tillman now ranks 18th in era, out of 42 qualified AL pitchers.
His ranking is near the middle of the rankings, which means mediocre.
Mediocre doesn't mean bad, although most people give it a negative conotation.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Tillman has been very consistent and keeps his team in the game. Good consistent pitchers pitching for a team with a good offense is the ingredient for great success

I obviously don't watch an entire game of his, but I watch MLB network's highlights and anchor discussions and analysis every night, along with reading postgame writeups.
(I live 6 hours behind Eastern Time so it's early when games end).

Sure Tillman only let up two runs in 7 innings against Boston yesterday.
That's very good, and he's been excellent at times.

My argument is that he's not the great pitcher that some people make him out to be.
Showing stats over the entire season is the only way to objectively show the overall value of a pitcher.

Picking and choosing games isn't accurate; otherwise Homer Bailey would be having an awesome season.

The MLB Network used Tillman's stats last week to show how a win-loss record does not always show the true effectiveness of a player.
All of Tillman's numbers except wins are in the middle of the pack or end of the top third of AL pitchers.

Again, he's been very good in several games.
But as an unbiased observer (I neither like nor dislike the Orioles) I just think this is a case where a pitcher's won-loss record is slightly misleading, compared to other better pitchers.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Your logic is flawed. There is 15 teams In the AL, and each team has a 5 man rotation. While 42 qualified, many were just not good enough to stick in the rotation long enough to qualify and were replaced by others in the rotations, some of those were also replaced. A 3.6 or 3.8 ERA is hardly spectacular but it is above average and thus not mediocre

Among the AL era rankings, yes.
The definition of mediocre is average or middle of the road.
As of tonight's games, Tillman now ranks 18th in era, out of 42 qualified AL pitchers.
His ranking is near the middle of the rankings, which means mediocre.
Mediocre doesn't mean bad, although most people give it a negative conotation.

Members online

Latest posts