Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else collect a player who has fallen off the face of the baseball earth...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
...yet cards are either hard to find or stupidly expensive?

I recently restarted collecting some former Cubs players, and am noticing several things.

Some players...Rich Hill, Shawn Marshall...the market has all but dried up.

Other players...Derrek Lee, Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior...prices are still laughably high.

Anyone encounter similar issues?

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
I've got the opposite with Vlad Guerrero. His stuff has absolutely nose-dived to ridiculously low levels. It's kind of great and kind of depressing all at once.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I've got the opposite with Vlad Guerrero. His stuff has absolutely nose-dived to ridiculously low levels. It's kind of great and kind of depressing all at once.

Let me know when you locate a sweet spot ball auto under $50

Charlie any special tendencies to your cubbie player collection? Just inserts or anything?

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
All Pirates between 1990-2006 values down .
Can't find Matt Capps sweet spot autos .
Who needs a base card 1985-2010 only have 350,000 by team [ 9000 plus Cubs]

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I keep my eye on Mark Prior prices but they never seem to come down. I guess he still has a lot of potential

I thought he inked a minor league deal last season, didn't work out and he retired.

Maybe he's like Dontrelle Willis - always looking for new opportunities to try to make it back to the bigs.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

This would be a great problem to have unless you bought in high.

I think that may be why some sellers still have their prices so high.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think that was sarcasm... lol

not sarcasm. I thought Prior was retired until I think I read he inked a minor league contract last season to try to comeback. I know Willis inked a deal with the Angels and sent to Triple-A where he pitched against Albuquerque in one game last season among his starts.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
This would be a great problem to have unless you bought in high.

I think that may be why some sellers still have their prices so high.

That's why I see so many people trying to get stupid prices for various 2002 Jeremy Hermidas cards, especially his Bowman Chrome parallels.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think for many Prior captures the saga of the Cubs as well as anyone in recent history and he will always have a following. He, Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano were the rotation that was supposed to end the curse for once and for all... There's a sick Prior/Wood dual Logo Patch on eBay that I see every now and then that a part of me wants to pick up...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
not sarcasm. I thought Prior was retired until I think I read he inked a minor league contract last season to try to comeback. I know Willis inked a deal with the Angels and sent to Triple-A where he pitched against Albuquerque in one game last season among his starts.
No, no :lol:

I was saying that [MENTION=8651]DiebytheCubs[/MENTION] post was likely sarcastic.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think for many Prior captures the saga of the Cubs as well as anyone in recent history and he will always have a following. He, Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano were the rotation that was supposed to end the curse for once and for all... There's a sick Prior/Wood dual Logo Patch on eBay that I see every now and then that a part of me wants to pick up...
This could be very true.

All three had some great cards made.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

Let me know when you locate a sweet spot ball auto under $50

Charlie any special tendencies to your cubbie player collection? Just inserts or anything?
Not sure about his low end stuff but Vlads Higher end stuff has not nose dived. Infact I just lost out on a Bat barrel name plate 1/1 that had his first part of the name cut off sell in the $430+ range which is more than previous sales of Mike Schmidt, Roger Clemens, Rod Carew and Dave Winfield bat barrel sold for.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Derrek Lee! I have a great collection of some of his rarer cards. Stopped collecting him when he left the Cubs.

I think a lot of sellers bought high on Lee, because his cards listed on ebay are still stupidly expensive bin/bo.

I'll see how prices are at the sun times show next month for these type players.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
The Brandon Webb collection certainly qualifies these days. But (some) of his stuff still sells really well. I don't think I'm paying much less for higher end stuff than I would have when he was still playing. Granted, he had a solid 6 seasons before he got injured, including 3 where he was (arguably) the best pitcher in baseball, which is more than others.

But quantity wise, the Webb market has really dried out. Not much new stuff out there for me to add, which is kind of sad.

Members online