Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where Did Everyone Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 30, 2010
IMHO. It is definitely not the moderators or the site change. People will come to the site if more information based( Hot List, pulse of the hobby, etc) and/or personal interaction.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
IMHO. It is definitely not the moderators or the site change. People will come to the site if more information based( Hot List, pulse of the hobby, etc) and/or personal interaction.

This I would agree with. And I take ownership of a lot of that.

I thought I'd found a solution for the hotlist but unfortunately it didnt work out.

If anyone would like to take it on and do one every two weeks, we could pay a small amount for it.

PM me.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I can barely remember the old board. I hated the change when it happened, but have no issue with the "new" format.

For me, I think it is a general lack of excitement in the hobby.

BO has more traffic, but I cannot stand the childish issues over there. I will take slower traffic with this community over higher traffic with the other.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
There are currently 548 users online. 127 members and 421 guests

If some of the lurkers would interact and get involved place be jumping. how to make that happen is the big question.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I don't get why people bring up the software change as such a huge deal-breaker. Why anyone would leave because of it makes me wonder why they were even here at all. The software change was needed and this software is just fine. What is so horrible about it? It works great for me. What's to complain about. I think people are just fickle and dumb and went over to Blowout for god-knows-why.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
My impression is we have some of the best people in the hobby on this board and I hope others come and join us. I've been involved with this board in one way or another from day 1 and would love nothing better then to see this place with thousands of users but I don't regret for a moment the quality of members we have now...

This is what the hobby is all about.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
My impression is we have some of the best people in the hobby on this board and I hope others come and join us. I've been involved with this board in one way or another from day 1 and would love nothing better then to see this place with thousands of users but I don't regret for a moment the quality of members we have now...

Have to agree 100 percent, this place rocks.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This is still the best card forum on the web, bottom line. This stuff goes in waves sometimes. Hopefully some of the other bigger forums will do what they do and people will come back here where they belong. I mean, who wants to be a part of a forum that's main focus is to sell you crap anyway. All the BO boards are is a big advertisement for BO, same with PSA. At least this place was started with the intent to just be a place for hobbyists to congregate.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Honestly, I think it has more to do with Blowout forums taking over an enormous chunk of the 'market' and less to do with "what FCB did to drive away it's members"

Thebenchtrading and sportscardforum's traffic is significantly down too and they did not make any huge software upgrades.

I remember the upgrade here, it was atrocious at the time...but I don't think that was the downfall.

The majority of people go to the new hot spot with the most action. That's BO right now and has been for 3+ years...maybe longer

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

real-friend-quotes-pictures.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I venture over to BO occasionally because they have more traffic but it seems a lot of discussions there quickly turn negative and off-topic.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I try to get on at least twice a week. Even if it's just to make a post or check out what's going on. I am not sure where everyone went. But for me, I've kind of gotten where the gold has lost it's shine a bit. I spent countless hours reading the 90's thread and any other thread where there is info regarding things most of the hobby doesn't know. That to me is what made this place one of a kind. But...it's like we've damn near just about discussed everything to death. I truly do look just to see if something new pops up to discuss. Mostly it's just about new products, most of which I'm not going to buy anyhow. I don't think you can really blame anyone for that. Tanner(mouschi) has by far the best threads on the board these days. But the days where you couldn't wait to pop in to see what was said or what the next discussion is about are pretty much gone. Just doesn't seem to be as much to talk about. If anyone does think of something, we all give it a try but it...usually ends up being...something we've already discussed at length.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
Thank you all for the explanations I hope to be more involved again on the boards because I really use to enjoy reading the posts. My favorite part of the boards use to be the live chat feature.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I'm personally unsure why there is less traffic than in the past, but just from my perspective, threads like Collectors Corner, Vintage Corner, Collectors Corner Showcase (may not have got these titles correct...but hopefully you guys get it) keep me coming back to read the interesting threads. Also, some of the other threads that are featured are very interesting as well like the one referencing art vs. cards or something like that; great read. I really like to read and see others collections, especially if they have them displayed; keeps me motivated to work on my sports room.

I'm pretty much a single player collector, and do pick up some other memorabilia now and then, but I like hearing and seeing the card pickups that others have acquired as well as the odd-ball items that they obtain. While I'm not a set collector, or rainbow collector (is that what they are called?!?), or a prospect guy, but I still like to view their items as well as hear their stories.

Seems like a good group of people on here currently. I think it just needs to be kept interesting and being friendly will, I think, bring more friends in... I had a board member here send me a card some time ago, and just for that thoughtful gesture that in itself kept me coming back.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
At the time I think it felt like a lot of people just up and left. However I don't think the current hobby landscape really gets enough of the blame. As "in trouble" as the hobby was 10 years ago it's damn near on life support at the moment. I honestly think a lot of former members lost interest. Maybe some of us will still be around when they reach their own "collecting nostalgia" stage and dive back in. But it's hard to blame lack of interest when there isn't much to be exited about in cards these days. Wasn't long ago there were 4 new baseball releases every week it seemed. That may have been pushing a bubble to burst but it sure gave people a lot to talk about online too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I work a **** ton and have a 3 month old baby boy. I still get on sometimes, but not everyday like I used to. With spare time at a premium, I have to prioritize what gets and extra time I have. Unfortunately FCB usually doesn't make the cut. I still buy cards and jerseys and post when I can. I scan the forum frequently, and if I see something of interest I do post, just not usually daily.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I like FCB. I like it because it's great for talking with knowledgeable collectors who share some of the same interests as me.

Fact is, this board lacks drama, and people love drama. BO is full of drama, and people can't help but watch the chaos ensue.

Prospect Rush draft edition: Epic thread on BO, but virtually no mention of it here.

The guy who was scamming people as an approved group breaker (Peja?) for years until they found out. Another member (Haiku) was one of the worst scammers in the hobby who fooled a TON of BO members.

I'm not saying we need those things here (actually the opposite) but we should understand that there is something to say for people who are drawn to drama, and the traffic it creates.

Also, I know some of you don't like him, but Houdini is a huge draw for BO. He is one of the most widely known group breakers and has a fun personality. He's got a process/setup that seems to work well for him. Not to mention the actual wax sales website which drives a TON of traffic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts