Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The $107,868 Lesson, My Book, and Starting Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
If you haven't noticed, I haven't been very active anywhere online for a while.* In fact, November marks the first month in SEVEN YEARS that I didn't write at least one article.* There is a reason for that.* In October, my family suffered a terrible loss by losing my father.* Life tends to stand still when something like this happens - especially when you are as close to someone like we all were to him.* While things are getting better a little day by day, dad passing away left a huge hole in all of our hearts.

43736324_2148092285224960_459949379168501760_n.jpg

We are very thankful that we had him in our lives.

My wife and I went back and forth as to if we should tell him and mom some big news.

Together, we decided to give them the shock of a lifetime.

5c1a7dbbeb834_Untitled-1.jpg

We are pregnant!* It has been a long,*past several weeks to wait and tell everyone.* The last time we were pregnant, my wife was 21 and I was 22.* When baby #2 arrives, she will be 38 and I will be 39.* If this kid is half as awesome as our first born, we will be ecstatic :)* There will be a 16 1/2 year gap between the two.

Life recently has been full of extreme sorrows, incredible joys and everything in between over the past few months.* I feel like someone strapped me to a chair and has been spinning me perpetually.* We are all just so grateful that we were able to tell him about his 2nd grandchild coming into the world.* We told him the last time we saw him together as a family, just days before he passed away.

In addition to this, I've had my hands full with work, selling my collection, and writing my book.* Every time I get online and talk cards with people, the same questions come up.* "How is the selling coming along?" and "When will the book be finished?"* Here is an update on everything:

Update on Selling my Collection

For years, I've wanted to write a book.* In fact, I started writing it in 2015.* It has been a labor of love that has taken countless hours and many nights, with the end changing from month to month. This book, rather, the lessons I learned in this book - cost me $107,868.* This is the cumulative amount I paid for my collection during my*Supercollecting journey.* To put things into perspective, this is significantly more money than Jose Canseco himself received for playing his first full year of baseball when he was rookie of the year!* Though the profits I made from wheeling and dealing cards over the years covered the entire amount I spent, it is still a lot of money - especially for a collection of one player.

Many have asked me how big of a financial loss I was anticipating when all was said and done.* About two months ago, I brought the remainder of my Jose Canseco baseball card collection to Fed Ex.* This is what $14,000 worth of Jose Canseco baseball cards in boxes looks like:

20181008_123307-(1).jpg

These boxes represent the majority of the rest of my cards I had for sale.* With this picture, I can happily say that not only have I broken even, I have also turned a profit - all inside of four months!* I was extremely excited about this because I've been prepared for it to take years to sell everything.* This leads me to my next piece of news ...

My Book is Finished and Available!

Because I sold everything and turned a profit, I was able to document how I did it in my new book, Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict.

Available for sale here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1731198469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545227495

mock.jpg

My initial plan was just to write a book about my adventures in cardboard, but it morphed into something more than just a book for entertainment purposes.* I used it to document how I became a dedicated Supercollector and what strategies I employed to sell a six-figure collection focused on a single player while turning a profit.

I did this because I truly hope that you can read it and not just be entertained, but also have a guide to help you every step of the way if you plan on starting collecting, want to change your collecting focus or hope to sell your collection.

While my Supercollecting journey is over, my time in our hobby is not.* Frankly, I've missed you.* I've missed being in conversations about the hobby and the thrill of chasing cards.* If you have been reading my articles since the time I was heavy into reselling, you know that I love to practice what I call Cardboard Alchemy:* The art of selling a collection for profit, and keeping some meaningful left-over cards for free.

This is exactly what I did with my Canseco collection, and*I'm extremely excited to show you what my post-supercollection collection looks like!* Here is the first part of it in binders:

20181107_114408.jpg

I decided to build up an entire run of base and insert cards.* Instead of storing them in boxes, I opted to do what I always wanted, and store them in pages.

20181107_114712.jpg

These binders are from Unikeep for about $16 each.* They feature a clamshell design and can be stored upright.** Their website allows you to customize, so I made four of them:* Volumes 1-4, complete with custom graphics on the front, back, and spine!

20181106_114530.jpg

You will not find any parallels in these binders.* Just a single, base representation for all base/inserts that came out.* This should only take a few dollars per release to keep up with, instead of hundreds or thousands to secure all 20 different colored autographed cards from each release.

20181106_114615.jpg

I have found a tremendous amount of joy and satisfaction in my new binders (I still need about 30 cards to complete the run).* It will be fun chasing them again - this time, without the stress of worrying about missing out on a super rare card.* I used to look at my collection on my website.* Now, I find myself pulling out a binder and happily turning the pages, just like I did when I was a kid.

I have also found a tremendous amount of joy in many cards that I didn't look at twice as a Supercollector. Some extremely beautiful cards would go unnoticed in my collection because I was so focused on landing the next plain, base card with a 1/1 stamp on it.

Shown below are many of the cards I've picked up again that I love, using the profits of selling my collection. Refractors, die cuts, museums, artist proofs, elites, platinums, mirrors, acetates, and more are now rightfully given a prominent place in my collection that they never could have before.* Some were seeded at one per pack, where others are numbered to /5.* Some are easy to get, where others are one of a kind proofs.* They all share a commonality of being beautiful or meaningful to me.* I will continue to add to this as well, as I see things that catch my eye.

20181205_140253.jpg

But that wasn't all that I kept :)

When I realized I'd be able to turn a profit, I asked myself a question:* "What cards would I rescue from a burning house, if I could only take a handful?"* That removed all interest in cards due to the "necessity" of completing rainbows or just because they were special to others.* I found out that I fell hard for wild patch cards and the parallels and inserts of the '90s to '00s.* Shown below is a picture of some of my favorites.* Some of them I never sold, whereas others I did sell and had to buy back using the profits from selling my collection.

One card shown below, the 1998 Crusade Green is actually an Executive Prototype, which I consider to be the best Canseco Crusade ever made, due to the colors and rarity (it is estimated that only one or two were made).* That is one card I never had to begin with but traded for because it meant so much to me from a collector named Jonathan.* I'd be remiss if I didn't mention anything about the Gold Victory 1/1 - perhaps the most beautiful card ever produced, or the Certified Mirror Red Prototype that has quite possibly the wildest backstory ever for any card in my collection!

20181014_113208.jpg

Note also that I switched from keeping cards in One-Touch holders to mini snaps from Pro Mold.* I LOVE how they look and feel - it gives you a more intimate feeling of the card if that makes sense.* (That sounded creepy, didn't it?)* The Black Chrome Refractor was graciously traded back to me by Chad.* Speaking of black refractors, I was able to get back my Expos Black Refractor as well.* Thank you, Chad and Rob!* I was able to get back my Brilliants 24 kt from Curtis - by the way, he has a TON of insane Canseco stuff for sale on eBay now.* Check him out at mayco23!

As with the binders, storage for my high-end treasures was something I wanted to be special, so I spent $40 shipped and got this from Amazon.* (I was going to tell you what kind, but apparently it is sold out.* You can get something very similar at Harbor Freight called the "Aluminum Case".)

20181106_114904.jpg

Closed, it is beautiful and makes you feel like it should be handcuffed to your wrist at all times.* It looks like it could contain priceless artifacts that movies are made of.* For me, while the outside is great, the inside is greater.* It includes something called "pluck and pull" foam.* You can pull perforated chunks out of the foam to fit your cards so they display nice and snug.

20181025_142624.jpg

I couldn't get it out of my head as to what some beautiful high-end cards would look like laying flush in the surface of the foam. Perfect!

20181025_132500.jpg

As you can see, the nice cards I have decided to keep fit beautifully inside this case.* It took some time to pluck & pull the foam out where I wanted so everything is nice and uniform.* There was even a spot for my game-used team autographed 1989 World Series baseball that I kept!

case-open2.jpg

Having this case took care of two issues for me.* I don't like multiple cards being "displayed" on a desk or anywhere because it makes the cards feel like fine china to me.* Putting them in a cardboard box makes me feel like they lose their specialness.* For me, this case is the best of both worlds.* It also gives off a nice 3d display effect.

20181106_150941.jpg

One of the things I love about this foam, is you can make secret compartments behind cards.* Check out what is behind the middle patch card!* That's right - I have the 1/1, 5/5 and 10/10 :)

20181205_141310.jpg

You may recall that Blowout Buzz did an article on me stating what my favorite card was.* Though I had many favorites, I chose the 2017 Museum wood 1/1 to be featured.* It was the first card I sold off to Supercollector AJ - I miss the card, but it simply wouldn't have been financially smart for me to have kept it.* While I LOVE the wood card and would take it any day over the /5 version, I have a LOT of love for the /5 - the black frame, holographic foil and silver signature.* The Museum framed cards were some of my favorites, and in hand, this one pops best out of all of them.

When I sold it, fellow Canseco collecting compadre Jared sent it out to PSA and got it back as a 10!* I'm glad we were able to do a deal to get it back into my collection.* I paid very well for it, but am super happy it is back home.

museum.jpg

The 2015 Dynasty release marked the first time I spent big money on singles.* A few of my favorites are gone and locked up in their forever homes, but I was able to pick back up this beauty.* It is a jumbo 25th anniversary patch - only 2 or 3 others likely exist.* I really wanted a slick Dynasty representation, so Ty was kind enough to sell it back to me.

20181205_141431.jpg

The 2000 UD Game Jersey patch card is the first patch card of Canseco's, ever.* I had one already, but fell in love with the patch coloring and bought it overseas.* I sold it after I went public with my retirement announcement and later asked the owner if it was available.* The 1st time this card came in was fun, but the 2nd time was greater.

Just beneath the patch card, is my lone Topps Archives Signature Series card.* If you recall, I used to have over 100 different Archives cards, with over 20 1/1s.* This is the one I decided to keep.* It is the only 1/1 Refractor Archives card I've ever seen of Jose and only one of a couple I've seen of anyone for 2015-16.* For me, it is by far the most beautiful Archives card I have ever seen, as well!

20181106_151243.jpg

The following card is probably one that I'm most excited about getting back.* The 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold.* I caught wind of it coming up for sale and stayed chained to my computer to wait for it to pop up.* I sold it a while back and regretted doing so.

It took a month or two after selling it to realize that I wished I would have kept it.* After a month of negotiations with Canseco's close friend John, I was once again, the proud owner of this beauty.

I targeted this specific card because of the lack of serial number due to the fact that it is likely the only one of its kind.* It originally came from a prominent figure in the hobby who had a number of executive prototypes/samples for sale as well.* (See the blue Diamond Axis die-cut card in the background?* It came from the same lot and is an Executive Sample.)

20181106_151707.jpg

Aside from cards, I also kept my game-used home run bat and the fielding glove Canseco traded me, as well as what seems to be a lifetime worth of game-used/player-worn pieces so I can keep making my own cards.* (Don't worry - the glove and bat will NOT be cut up!)

glovebat.jpg

I guess there is life for me in this hobby after Supercollecting.* I will continue to pick up other special Canseco cards here and there, and so far I've stayed well within the profits I made off of selling my collection.* If this sounds familiar to you, it might be due to the fact that I made it my goal to stay within the profits of selling off my first collection in an article I wrote almost exactly five years ago on my blog called "Jose Canseco PC 2.0".* That plan didn't work out so well, did it?* :)* I guess you can call the latest rendition Jose Canseco PC 3.0 (or Free.0!)* but whatever you do, don't call it a comeback.

Thanks as always for reading!* I do hope you can check out my new book:
Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1731198469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545227495
Send it to your wives to get you for Christmas - what wife wouldn't want to get their husband a book about a guy selling his collection? :)

mock.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMPZIlYlnt8

https://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2018/12/the-107868-book.html

Last edited:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
WOW....so much going on in your life! Sad to hear about your dad. Mine has been gone for 10 years, but is always with me!! Congrats on the baby and the book. l'm happy that you're still part of the hobby.
When I get your book, I will send it to you to be autographed, because you know I LOVE autographs!!!

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Absolutely amazing Tanner. I'm deeply sorry for the loss of you father but happy beyond belief for you and "Mrs. Mouschi". I can't wait to read your book, if it's written half as well as your articles here it will be a great addition to my baseball book collection.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Congrats on the baby and book release. My condolences for your father's passing. My dad died in 2012 and even though we knew it was coming, it is still something you can never be prepared for. Did you ever disclose what you paid Canseco for the private meeting? I am curious to know if that is information you have already or are willing to share. I inquired through Garvey's site for ****s & giggles to see if I could get a price for a similar session, figuring I'd have to be more serious than a website inquiry, but never even got an initial acknowledgement or response. It would never happen because I am too cheap, but still wonder what these guys get paid nowadays for appearances.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thank you very much, everyone! [MENTION=1995]dano7[/MENTION] are you sure you want the book defaced like that? LOL! If you haven't ordered one yet, you can pay me directly 14.95 + 3.95 shipping to [email protected] and I'll send you one autographed directly when they come in (it should be early January).
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] - I believe it was 3k...I'd have to check my notes, but I'm pretty sure that is what it was. Well worth it! :)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Seeing you sell your Canseco collection (and why) was a great story. It was just so interesting to see a player collector prioritize life, and see where cards fall. I would imagine every player collector has those “what if” thoughts in some way, and so many player collectors (and friends) sell it all and move on. So I greatly appreciated being in on your decision, and ultimate sell off. That being said, seeing you buy Canseco cards again is too much. I had the “Oh, brother...” thought in my head, and my eyes rolled. I’m going to have a hard time appreciating your “re-pick ups” maybe because I was so at peace with your decision (more than you?) lol! Hopefully this doesn’t come off as disrespectful, and I get that everyone has their own thing, and way, to collect. This was just a hard read for me, comparatively to other Mouschi articles.
Sorry about your dad, but am happy for your growing family! Good luck with your book! I do a lot of ARCs with many publishers, but have not seen your book cross my desk! ��

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm sorry about your father.

congrats on the baby. there is a 16 year gap between my stepson and my daughter. lol so good luck with that.

If its ok, i will paypal you for an auto copy of your book as well!!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Seeing you sell your Canseco collection (and why) was a great story. It was just so interesting to see a player collector prioritize life, and see where cards fall. I would imagine every player collector has those “what if” thoughts in some way, and so many player collectors (and friends) sell it all and move on. So I greatly appreciated being in on your decision, and ultimate sell off. That being said, seeing you buy Canseco cards again is too much. I had the “Oh, brother...” thought in my head, and my eyes rolled. I’m going to have a hard time appreciating your “re-pick ups” maybe because I was so at peace with your decision (more than you?) lol! Hopefully this doesn’t come off as disrespectful, and I get that everyone has their own thing, and way, to collect. This was just a hard read for me, comparatively to other Mouschi articles.
Sorry about your dad, but am happy for your growing family! Good luck with your book! I do a lot of ARCs with many publishers, but have not seen your book cross my desk! ��

You aren't alone - I roll many eyes with a lot of stuff I do (my wife included!) :) For me, this is a MUCH healthier way to stay in the hobby. I no longer have a "gotta have it all" mentality. In light of that, I truly hope it isn't (as) bothersome to you that I'm picking up some cards that put a smile on my face. My collecting is in no way shape or form anything like it was before :) Anyway, thank you for the kind words!

Thanks, Tanner! I just sent the $18.90 and look forward to reading the book in January!!!!!

Thank you for the buy!

I'm sorry about your father.

congrats on the baby. there is a 16 year gap between my stepson and my daughter. lol so good luck with that.

If its ok, i will paypal you for an auto copy of your book as well!!

LOL! Good luck with that sounds terrifying! :) I gotta tell my wife that, she'll get a kick out of it. Yes, paypal would be great, thank you!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] - I believe it was 3k...I'd have to check my notes, but I'm pretty sure that is what it was. Well worth it! :)

I would probably strongly consider something like that for that price range. Of course, you went to his place vs flying them in and setting them up in a hotel (dining, etc). Probably would save a great deal if there was no travel or overnight stay involved for the player.

Some would even say that being invited into their house for them meeting/signing is a "free" bonus (maybe not so free if you are traveling far and have to tote along a bunch of stuff for signatures), although unless there was some personal memorabilia that you'd get to see while there, it's just like going to your neighbors house, only bigger and more expensive (for most of us).

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Oh man, 1991 Stadium Club. The first time my dad told me no to a pack of cards because they were more than 50 cents :p